The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sargent Tracker

+2
glyne lock
breakaleg
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sargent Tracker - Page 2 Empty Re: Sargent Tracker

Post by marconi Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Plymouthwelshboy 

The modification to the EC700 set up is pulling out the plug from the Solar Panel, on mine that was not even on the rubbish Solar controller but on a fly lead, I would argue that there is no way that that can effect the Warranty.

Adding the Dual Controller is like adding an accessory, something that is regularly carried out. I took mine for its Warranty check at Willersey, after modification, pointed the Dual Controller out to them and told them to leave it alone and to take no notice that Solar Current was no longer indicated on the EC700. Nothing was said.

After the job was done I discussed the inefficiency and the need for the modification with the Service Manager the response was "We don't understand Electrics" well that is blatantly clear right back to the design stage.

The fact that they deny all knowledge and responsibility for things that don't don't work as efficiently as they should is very poor. I sympathise with you as a newcomer, A-S expect you to think that this is normal and put up with it.

Likewise with the Harmony Handbook which appears to be a cobbled up attempt to produce something comprehensive by someone who doesn't understand the Sargent information that is being duplicated and was poor in the first place.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:26 pm

Plymouthwelshboy - I agree with you, the written instructions that come with the Nuevo are poor and incomplete.  When the Nuevo is in winter storage, the EC700 must be shutdown.  This will still apply if you fit a dual battery solar controller.  There is no point leaving the EC700 on when the motorhome is out of use.  It's a waste of electricity just as it would be if it was on an EHU.  When the EC700 is shutdown, a dual battery solar controller will prevent the LB from discharging which is good but the LB will be fine without charge for at least 3 months as its load is negligible.  

As you have observed, the VB voltage can't be seen on AS Monitor when the EC700 is shutdown.  I have been experimenting with my Nuevo during lockdown on my drive and I am finding that the existing solar controller, despite its short comings, is able to maintain the VB's SOC and that's with an after-market vehicle alarm powered by the VB and intermittent use of the central locking.  I am sure that the VB would be fine in a winter storage compound with the EC700 shutdown and without the VB being disconnected or isolated using the red button on the ignition.  Doing either of the latter will stop the VB receiving its solar charge and stop the central locking and vehicle alarm working if it is powered through the vehicle electrics.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:35 pm

thanks Caraman - I am so baffled as to what went wrong  - to flatten two batteries - is so careless and downright embarrassing - i can build a boat but cant work out a motorhome battery system - its cringing frankly!  shrugg  

Can you clear something up for me - you may not know the answer i understand - but i am trying to get my head around this and my dealer is closed at the moment - I am trying to work out which battery powers the tracker and which powers the alarm and whether they are separate or one and the same.........? I feel sooo stupid over this whole debacle - good job I have a sense of humour  wave
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm

Plymouthwelshboy wrote:thanks Caraman - I am so baffled as to what went wrong  - to flatten two batteries - is so careless and downright embarrassing - i can build a boat but cant work out a motorhome battery system - its cringing frankly!  shrugg  

Can you clear something up for me - you may not know the answer i understand - but i am trying to get my head around this and my dealer is closed at the moment - I am trying to work out which battery powers the tracker and which powers the alarm and whether they are separate or one and the same.........? I feel sooo stupid over this whole debacle - good job I have a sense of humour  wave
The tracker is powered by the LB and continues to be powered by the LB after the EC700 has been shutdown.  If the LB is disconnected or becomes badly discharged the tracker will continue to be powered but from its internal non-rechargeable standby battery which I am told it can do for 3 to 4 years.  

The A-S Harmony Manual which covers the EC700 states - "when in the off state the alarm and tracking system supplies are still active ..."
It's easy to assume from this that the alarm and tracker get their supplies from the same place and in a caravan fitted with a caravan alarm they will be - the LB.  Sergent who wrote the Harmony Manual no doubt had this in mind as they only supply caravan alarms.  The alarms fitted to motorhomes are vehicle alarms and not caravan alarms.  Most vehicle alarms, if fitted, will be powered from the VB through the vehicle electrics as mine is.  That said, I am told it is possible for a vehicle alarm to be powered from the LB.  As with the tracker, the vehicle alarm will have an internal standby battery should its external supply be lost but all it will do is power the siren which will be triggered as soon as the external supply is cut.

Last edited by Caraman on Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:27 pm

My vehicle battery is at home...... That helps thanks and sorry for being so dim
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:15 pm

Plymouthwelshboy wrote:My vehicle battery is at home...... That helps thanks and sorry for being so dim
Not at all.  A little over a year ago I went through it all with Sergent and then at a face to face meeting with the A-S Sales Director at Willersey and his principle electrical man.  I posted the results of this meeting on the Forum but I can't remember where.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Steve
if your vehicle battery is damaged from going flat it has a 2 year warranty
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:43 pm

glyne lock wrote:Steve
The LB which is a deep cycle battery has a red label on it stating:

KEEP ABOVE 12.10V - 50% DISCHARGED
WARRANTY VOID 10.6V - 100% DISCHARGED

The VB which is a starter battery shouldn't be allowed to drop as low as 12.1V - 50% discharged
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Unfortunately I would think that any Vehicle Battery that is coupled to a Sargent EC700 Controller is instantly beyond any Warranty cover due to the fact that the user can intentionally or inadvertently connect it to a Deep Discharge application.

Although they do try to protect the VB by disconnecting Leisure Loads at 10.9 Volts.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 pm

I agree with marconi.  I think you would need to claim that the VB was fully charged when the motorhome went into storage but went flat after x months with the vehicle electrics isolated using the red button on the ignition as recommended by Peugeot which would be untrue.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:23 pm

Caraman wrote:
glyne lock wrote:Steve
The LB which is a deep cycle battery has a red label on it stating:

KEEP ABOVE 12.10V - 50% DISCHARGED
WARRANTY VOID 10.6V - 100% DISCHARGED

The VB which is a starter battery shouldn't be allowed to drop as low as 12.1V - 50% discharged
when you get a battery tested for warranty that is 2 years on the peugeot there are test they do and is the same as I have been doing at work when I have done our own warranty work .my own van has just been tested by Peugeot under warranty as for the battery  going flat out of my control and if it  test as in a failed state on  the test gets replaced.
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:05 pm

The vehicle battery seems to be holding its charge and I rescued it. I certainly wouldn't claim a warranty issue on a battery that I had flattened through stupidity or to be fair, naivety. 

I think it will be fine starting the motorhome and if we get a good run on it as well then it should be fine, he says, fingers crossed. 

In saying that - I didnt flatten it so badly that it couldn't even turn on the dash instrument screen.....so...........I'm not holding out much faith here. But my charger says it is at 90% 12.7v and it has been like that now for three weeks. It will probably start the engine once and then die completely  biggrin
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2