The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sargent Tracker

+5
The Bargee
breakaleg
Caraman
v8oholic
redcar56
9 posters

Go down

Sargent Tracker Empty Sargent Tracker

Post by redcar56 Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:57 am

Hi we have a 2019 (69) Burford Duo with factory fitted Sargent tracker, but had a Navman Trackstar tracker fitted as we had 2 yrs paid up subscription left from our previous motorhome so didn’t use the Sargent tracker. 
To cut a long story short the Navman one was set up wrong for EU so didn’t work. 
Question is, is the Sargent one reliable and has anyone had any issues with it. (Both use the same monitor company) before I activate it.
redcar56
redcar56

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Sargent Tracker Empty Re: Sargent Tracker

Post by v8oholic Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:07 pm

In my experience, it is not as reliable as you might like. Mine stopped reporting its position for 2 months. At no point did the monitoring centre notice it had stopped working and contact me about it. It was in the middle of the winter so it took me a while to notice. I reported it to Sargent technical support, and they couldn’t work out what was happening. They were in the process of arranging to send a replacement unit (which they would not pay for the installation of) when it started working again. Now it mostly works, except for the odd two or three day period when it doesn’t.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

redcar56 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by redcar56 Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:45 pm

v8oholic wrote:In my experience, it is not as reliable as you might like. Mine stopped reporting its position for 2 months. At no point did the monitoring centre notice it had stopped working and contact me about it. It was in the middle of the winter so it took me a while to notice. I reported it to Sargent technical support, and they couldn’t work out what was happening. They were in the process of arranging to send a replacement unit (which they would not pay for the installation of) when it started working again. Now it mostly works, except for the odd two or three day period when it doesn’t.
It’s all very worrying as the insurance policy states premium must be paid and tracker working
redcar56
redcar56

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:55 pm

redcar56 wrote:Hi we have a 2019 (69) Burford Duo with factory fitted Sargent tracker, but had a Navman Trackstar tracker fitted as we had 2 yrs paid up subscription left from our previous motorhome so didn’t use the Sargent tracker. 
To cut a long story short the Navman one was set up wrong for EU so didn’t work. 
Question is, is the Sargent one reliable and has anyone had any issues with it. (Both use the same monitor company) before I activate it.
I assume you are referring to the Thatcham subscription tacker service rather than AS Monitor which only requires the SIM to be active/paid for.  The Thatcham subscription service is supposed to have 3 theft related telephone alerts which work whether the EC700 is shutdown or not.  The first is if the tracker loses its external power supply and has to rely on its internal standby battery.  This happens if Inhibit Service hasn't been activated on AS Monitor and the leisure battery, its inline 20A fuse or the EC700 No 3 fuse is disconnected and if the leisure battery voltage drops very low.  I don't know if the latter works but disconnection certainly results in the manned tracking station in Bedford ringing the owner to check all is well, so that bit works.  A telephone alert is supposed to be sent if a vehicle alarm has been fitted and correctly wired to the tracker and when the alarm is armed and triggered.  In my experience and despite my best efforts with Sargent this doesn't work although it did work for a while.  AS Monitor incorrectly shows the alarm status when it means the tracker status which is confusing.  The third telephone alert is supposed to happen if Inhibit Transport hasn't been activated on AS Monitor and the armed tracker is triggered.  I once forgot to activate Inhibit Transport before boarding a ferry and didn't receive an alert.  This may have been because the tracker lost its data link in the bowels of the ferry.  Other than this my armed tracker has not been triggered so I can't say if it works or not.  As part of the manned subscription service, I understand Sargent checks the condition of the tracker's standby battery annually and remotely. This happened to me and resulted in a new battery which was FOC as the tracker was still under warranty.  The non-rechargeable standby battery is supposed to be able to power the tracker without an external supply for 3 years.  I understand new EC700 vans will be fitted with a tracker that has a re-chargeable battery that won't require this check.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:20 am

Hi, when my leisure battery failed recently I received an alert. (phone call)

when I click on the little van in locate it states alarm armed, triggered no.

I think that this updates about every two hours? unless triggered.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:45 pm

breakaleg wrote:...
when I click on the little van in locate it states alarm armed, triggered no.

I think that this updates about every two hours? unless triggered.
Pete
This is the AS Monitor Locate function which should update every 6 hours.  I assume the OP is familiar with this.  It isn't part of the manned Thatcham tracking service.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:48 am

There are good and bad stories about trackers. My experience professionally (with boats) is that the technology and service aspects still have a way to go, and this seems to be an even longer way if starting from Hull. I also had a Metis tracker in a caravan which was quite simply a pain in the butt.

I spoke to my motorhome insurer (NFU) the other day and they are happy for me to leave the Sargent mute. I have confirmed that I have a Stoplock steering wheel lock (used when the vehicle is unattended for more than an hour or so) and a Milenco Wraith wheel lock (used when the vehicle is laid up on the drive). Both are Sold Secure rated. NFU are happy. I am still thinking about it but has anybody tried hiding an old iPhone in the van and using “find my phone” ?!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:23 am

You’d need to keep the phone’s battery charged.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:57 am

Tinwheeler wrote:You’d need to keep the phone’s battery charged.
Sorry, I forgot the emotion there Ian and was a bit tongue in cheek but the wife always seems to know where I am (Find a Friend) so perhaps it might work with a van! I suppose the practical issue really is remembering to check where your friends are since you won't get an alarm call.

For me, with the van usually in the drive (and probably most at risk there if we are away elsewhere), and with EHU available, charging is not an issue, and I guess a free sim with minimal top up is all it needs. I guess for other circumstances it might be different. I'm afraid I am just on a mission to eliminate dependence on the Sargent stuff, and since my insurers are happy I have also eliminated the tracker premium cost smile! .
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:24 am

It’s OK and I’ll even forgive you for calling me Ian snigger

I have come across folk on forums discussing using a phone in that way and they tend to forget the obvious. Sorry, didn’t mean to insult your intelligence.

I can’t tell you what a pleasure it is to no longer be reliant on Sargent gear. up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:32 am

I have a TruTrak, not insurance approved I think, but it works very well for me.

All in under £100 for the year.
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by timsurf2021 Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:10 am

I have just had a long conversation with Sargent as my AS Monitor has stopped working, they tried a re-set and then said it needed a new unit. i questioned them that the info shows it is running on 2G network and that the 2G was being turned off, they didn't think that was the problem but were working on an upgraded unit. Told that it was an A/S warranty now as they only guarantee it for the first year. Booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks, no confidence in them, won't order a replacement even that Sargent have said it is faulty and need to check it first!! so another 2 trips.
timsurf2021
timsurf2021

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:39 am

The Bargee wrote:I am still thinking about it but has anybody tried hiding an old iPhone in the van and using “find my phone” ?!
Have a look at AirTags. They aren’t quite as good as a real tracker, or an active phone, but they do automatically register their position with every iPhone they encounter so are quite useful for locating or tracking things. Also very easy to hide.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:43 am

timsurf2021 wrote:I have just had a long conversation with Sargent as my AS Monitor has stopped working, they tried a re-set and then said it needed a new unit. i questioned them that the info shows it is running on 2G network and that the 2G was being turned off, they didn't think that was the problem but were working on an upgraded unit. Told that it was an A/S warranty now as they only guarantee it for the first year. Booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks, no confidence in them, won't order a replacement even that Sargent have said it is faulty and need to check it first!! so another 2 trips.
They told me it would be best if I got the replacement unit sent direct to me in advance, then there would be no holdups while the dealer ordered it. However they also said the warranty was 3 years, and it would be free, but they wouldn’t pay for the labour to swap them over.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by timsurf2021 Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:54 am

That's interesting v8oholic, how long ago was that and how old was the van? did the dealer fit it? Having been in the motor trade for 45 years it annoys me about the parts supply to motorhome dealers, if I ordered parts before 5pm there was a 99% they would be there the following morning.
timsurf2021
timsurf2021

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:03 pm

This was in late January. The van was first registered April 2021. These are their exact words:

“I would recommend having a conversation with Marquis about them changing this for you, as we can supply the part free of charge but we wouldn't be able to cover their labour costs because it isn't under warranty anymore.”
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:25 pm

Just revisiting this thread: we've just bought a 2019 Symbol Plus and I initially told the insurance company it had a tracker.  When I came to re-enable the subscription, I discovered it was a little more pricey than I had expected:  £64 for a new comms unit and then £120/year (if you buy a few years upfront).

I called the insurance company to say I might not have a tracker after all, and the increase in premium was less than 20 quid.  So I went with that instead (and hid an AirTag on the van too).
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus

Back to top Go down