The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled tracker

5 posters

Go down

Disabled tracker Empty Disabled tracker

Post by Nieve Wed May 17, 2023 4:52 am

We are in the process of buying a 2019 Nuevo EK and have been told by Sargent that the tracker in the MH was disabled by the previous owners and that we will have to pay for a new one as the original cannot be reactivated.

We are wondering why anyone would want to have it disabled. Would welcome your thoughts.

We are also wondering if we should pay for a new unit, or look for alternatives, given Sargent’s mixed reputation on this forum.
Nieve

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Disabled tracker Empty Re: Disabled tracker

Post by Tinwheeler Wed May 17, 2023 6:28 am

Perhaps the tracker was troublesome and gave false alerts or maybe the previous owner was in the 'if it’s stolen, I don’t want it back' camp. shrugg

I think I’d investigate alternatives, including the offerings from VanBitz who aren’t far from you.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed May 17, 2023 6:44 am

Just what TW said. big thumbs up Unable to advise on alternatives as we don't have one on any of our vehicles. up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed May 17, 2023 6:58 am

The tracker in my van drove me mental, I disabled it after about nine months of ownership - despite being on a 2yr contract.

I moved to a Tracker Locate in the end - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Nieve Wed May 17, 2023 7:30 pm

Thanks guys. Really helpful. ‘Roger that’ how was your tracker a nuisance? Was it a factory fitted job (Sargent?). 

And what led you to Tracker Locate? I assume you haven’t had similar problems with that one?
Nieve

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nieve Thu May 18, 2023 1:09 am

RogerThat wrote:The tracker in my van drove me mental, I disabled it after about nine months of ownership - despite being on a 2yr contract.

I moved to a Tracker Locate in the end - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sorry just realised how this works 🙄

What were the problems which caused you to disable it? 

Was it the factory fitted Sargent tracker?

And what has been your experience of Tracker Locate?
Nieve

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 18, 2023 1:39 am

Nieve wrote:We are in the process of buying a 2019 Nuevo EK and have been told by Sargent that the tracker in the MH was disabled by the previous owners and that we will have to pay for a new one as the original cannot be reactivated.

We are wondering why anyone would want to have it disabled. Would welcome your thoughts.

We are also wondering if we should pay for a new unit, or look for alternatives, given Sargent’s mixed reputation on this forum.
If your 2019 Nuevo has the EC700 it will have Sargent's EC632 which is described as an EC635 in the Harmony UMS Handbook and is also known as the communications and tracker unit.  Its concealed for security reasons so its location must not be revealed.  For the first 3 years the SIM was paid for which allowed AS Monitor to work which includes a basic location capability.  After 3 years the SIM can be renewed.  At any time the more expensive tracking subscription service can be taken out which includes the cost of the SIM.  This provides 3 Thatcham alerts to a manned tracking centre in Bedford who will ring if any are triggered and they will actively track the vehicle and liaise with the police if it has been stolen.  It is described as a Thatcham category 6 and category S7 tracker so if looking at other systems you should ensure you are comparing like with like.  If the SIM or the SIM/subscription service have been allowed to lapse, I would have thought they could be renewed but I don't know this.  I also don't know if this is what Sargent mean by 'disabling' the communications and tracker unit but they would explain this on the phone.  Perhaps the unit has been damaged and is beyond repair.  The EC632 has a non-rechargeable standby battery that may need replacing.  Sargent are on the cusp of rolling out a new EC660 which replaces the EC632/635 and has a re-chargeable battery.  It may be that they will want you to buy one of these to reactivate the SIM, AS Monitor and the extra subscription service.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nieve Thu May 18, 2023 1:53 am

Caraman wrote:
If your 2019 Nuevo has the EC700 it will have Sargent's EC632 which is described as an EC635 in the Harmony UMS Handbook and is also known as the communications and tracker unit.  Its concealed for security reasons so its location must not be revealed.  For the first 3 years the SIM was paid for which allowed AS Monitor to work which includes a basic location capability.  After 3 years the SIM can be renewed.  At any time the more expensive tracking subscription service can be taken out which includes the cost of the SIM.  This provides 3 Thatcham alerts to a manned tracking centre in Bedford who will ring if any are triggered and they will actively track the vehicle and liaise with the police if it has been stolen.  It is described as a Thatcham category 6 and category S7 tracker so if looking at other systems you should ensure you are comparing like with like.  If the SIM or the SIM/subscription service have been allowed to lapse, I would have thought they could be renewed but I don't know this.  I also don't know if this is what Sargent mean by 'disabling' the communications and tracker unit but they would explain this on the phone.  Perhaps the unit has been damaged and is beyond repair.  The EC632 has a non-rechargeable standby battery that may need replacing.  Sargent are on the cusp of rolling out a new EC660 which replaces the EC632/635 and has a re-chargeable battery.  It may be that they will want you to buy one of these to reactivate the SIM, AS Monitor and the extra subscription service.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Caraman; i am beginning to get to grips with this now. I have been in touch with the dealer, who is looking into it. If it is the EC660, hopefully that might be a more attractive proposition.

I told the dealer that as it is a factory fitted system i was within my rights to assume that the price i was paying included a tracker, for what it was worth; he initially tried to tell me that as they hadn’t specified the MH having a tracker then I couldn’t expect one. Hmmm…
Nieve

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 18, 2023 3:08 am

I should add I have just renewed by Sargent system - SIM/AS Monitor & subscription service for £365 for 3 years.  When I took it out it was £95 per year so like all things its gone up.  The SIM/AS Monitor renewal after year 3 was £25 per year.  I don't know what it is now. The hardware of course was already paid for with the cost of the vehicle.  The false alerts I have received from the manned tracking centre have all been my fault - disconnecting the leisure battery without first suppressing the alert on AS Monitor.  So far my armed tracker (vehicle ignition turned off) has not been triggered (moving without the ignition key) so no alerts there.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down