The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing drawer in Suffolk model

4 posters

Go down

Removing drawer in Suffolk model Empty Removing drawer in Suffolk model

Post by padraigpost Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Can anyone tell me how to remove the drawer under the wardrobe in a Mercedes based Suffolk, I need to tighten the outer rails as the drawer has dropped and will not stay shut but cannot get to it until the drawer is removed.there are 4 screws each side holding the rails to the drawer and i can get to all 4 on one side but due to the angled drawer can only get to 2 on the other side. does anyone know a way to do this.
many thanks
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Removing drawer in Suffolk model Empty Re: Removing drawer in Suffolk model

Post by Peter Brown Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Isn't there an access hatch in the floor of the wardrobe? If not you should be able to remove the floor of the wardrobe although in many models that first requires removal of the Power Supply Unit and, if fitted with Truma space heater, the boxing around the flue piping - not recommended unless you are happy to disconnect and reconnect the PSU's myriad of interfaces.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Peter,
yes there is an access hatch in the floor of the wardrobe but it is still impossible to reach all 4 screws on 1 side, it is the long side of the drawer which is the problem what with the Suffolk having an angled drawer with one side of the drawer longer than the other, but many thanks for your suggestions.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:54 pm

I had something similar, and after much study came to the conclusion that A-S must have fitted the drawer into the unit before the unit was fitted into the van.

The only solution I could come up with was to use a small grinding wheel in an electric drill to grind away the screws from the inside of the drawer outward, creating a slot in the wood in the process. Once out I then filled the slot with wood filler, re-drilled the hole, tapped a thread in the runner and then refitted, fixing the 2 non-reachable fixing points with bolts from the inside of the drawer.

It was a bit of a pain, but I didn't really have any alternative.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 am

Managed to remove drawer at last, I took out the screws that I could access and the drawer fell out as A/S had not even fitted the rest it turned out there should have been 6 not 4 each side , on the long side there were no screws at the front which takes the weight when the drawer is open but what some lazy idle installer had done was partialy insert a screw UNDER the runner so that is was just resting on the exposed screw for support allowing it to sag and pull away from the frame, the quality of the installation of this drawer is on a par with an orange box, half the screws were missing (not fallen out as there was not a hole for them to go into) I have managed to refit using No.5 machine bolts as you can just get your hand behind the fixing frame to fit washer and nut, A/S it seems still have a quality control issue despite thinking they are a top manufacturer. not good enough for a £60,000 vehicle when you take into account all other faults such as a warped van side.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 pm

I too was concerned about how the under wardrobe drawer on my Lancashire came out. When I asked the dealer they told me to just pull and it does!
It is quite frightening - you lift the front of the drawer so that the wheels go over the stop and it seems as if the long side is stuck. But just pull firmly and it will come out - at least mine does! And it goes back as well I am glad to say. Like others on this thread I thought that maybe you had to remove all the little screws that hold the runners to the drawer but one was impossible to get at.

It's the same with the fuse covers on the Sargent power unit. They are incredibly tight but DO pull off.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:54 pm

The runners on my Suffolk seem to be a different type to yours, they have not got wheels to lift over a stop, when I did manage to get them out they will not seperate hence the problem of removing and refitting, glad to hear you have a more sensible type fitted.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down