The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo Battery accident waiting to happen

4 posters

Go down

Nuevo Battery accident waiting to happen Empty Nuevo Battery accident waiting to happen

Post by anders4 Sun May 15, 2022 3:08 pm

Hi Guys, I was checking the voltage on my habitation battery with a multimeter and noticed the battery terminal covers had not been replaced after a recent habitation check.  When putting them back on I then noticed the battery retaining bracket was touching both battery terminals but not clamping down on the battery, and had it not had a good coat of paint, could have shorted the terminals out and that would have resulted in  a fire.

This was all my own doing because when replacing the habitation battery a few months ago I did check to make sure the replacement battery fitted into the battery housing which is fixed to the floor under a rear seat in my 2008 Nuevo ES, but when fitting the new battery I didn't check whether the battery was solidly fixed after replacing the retaining bracket...... it wasn't.  The battery moved quite easily in the housing and there is a 30mm gap between the housing and battery along the long side of the battery. When the battery moves towards the centre of the van both terminals touch the metal retaining bracket and it's only a matter of time before the terminal covers and paint on the bracket wear.

My solution is to insert a 30mm piece of wood in the battery housing which will stop any movement but an alternative is to modify the retaining bracket so it clamps down on the battery and stops any movement.

I have attached images of the battery +ve terminal and the retaining bracket, and also a plan view of the battery showing the gap between the battery and housing.
anders4
anders4

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : 2008 Nuevo ES

Boots likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nuevo Battery accident waiting to happen Empty Re: Nuevo Battery accident waiting to happen

Post by Marshman Sat May 28, 2022 5:48 pm

Thanks Anders4
I shall check my 08 Nuevo ES to make sure although I believe battery to be OK.
Marshman
Marshman

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Nuevo Battery accident waiting to happen Empty Re: Nuevo Battery accident waiting to happen

Post by Jaytee Sun May 29, 2022 10:08 am

This lack of retention was something that quite concerned me when I first bought our waggon. A single self tapping screw holding the strap that holds a 15kg battery in place. In an accident the battery could end up shorting against the structure and cause a fire.
Subsequently Ive now made up a wood frame to hold the battery laterally and horizontally and I’ve put insulation rubber over the top to prevent vertical movement/short circuit.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

roli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun May 29, 2022 10:53 am

I think this topic is one that people should be aware of on the grounds of safety.   On our last van I decided to fit a larger habitation battery, I knew I had the space to enlarge the battery compartment, I knew the size of the new battery and fabricated a new new clamping frame. I was amazed when I opened up the original battery compartment, like Jaytee there was a single self tapper holding a strap to the floor.  Needless to say the new assembly had a couple of bolts going through the floor with reenforcing straps under the floor.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Jaytee likes this post

Back to top Go down