The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo 05 Electrics and battery

+9
bikeralw
roli
KMRTOPAZ
Peter Brown
-mojo-
Paulmold
mikethebike
burlingtonboaby
stephen8doyle
13 posters

Go down

Nuevo 05 Electrics and battery Empty Nuevo 05 Electrics and battery

Post by stephen8doyle Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi everyone. I have an 05 Peugot 2.0hdi Nuevo that has started to play up. New to motorhomes so any help would be appreciated. Only owned for 9 months.
I have trawlled through various threads, but can't find anything thats fits my scenario, so,

• Suddenly after 2 weeks laid up Both batteries flat.
  • Jump started, 15 minute run and seemed ok. Both batteries showing in the green on the control panel.
  • Put onto hook up O/N
  • This morning vehicle battery has insufficient charge to start engine.
  • Jump started, but now habitation control panel is dead. No interior lights , water pump etc. etc.

• Has worked perfectly for 9 months but have now got suspicious of a previous very occaisonal smell in cab area (once or twice in 9months). We also had to have 2 interior lights renewed recently due to "faulty" circuits.

When (and if) my wife gets back in it tonight, my intention is to put the vehicle battery on charge through an optimate.

• Do I need to disconnect the earth or live to the vehicle? - this looks difficult with the position and all the extra plate full of connections on this terminal.
  • Does charging and jump starting the vehicle battery effect the habitation battery
  • What could be causing the drain - (how to measure?)
  • I don't know the technical differance between vehicle and habitation batteries, any one know if an optimate recharge would help out the habitation battery?

Any advice would be welcome, as would any reading material which would help me understand the complexity of the vehicle!
Many Thanks in anticipation
Steve
Please PM me for e mail address if you have anything of use to me :)

Last edited by stephen8doyle on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
stephen8doyle
stephen8doyle

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Nuevo 05 Electrics and battery Empty Re: Nuevo 05 Electrics and battery

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:42 pm

Paul is yer man for mark 1 Nuevos, I'm sure he will answer your questions shortly.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:04 pm

stephen8doyle wrote:Hi everyone. I have an 05 Peugot 2.0hdi Nuevo that has started to play up. New to motorhomes so any help would be appreciated. Only owned for 9 months.
I have trawlled through various threads, but can't find anything thats fits my scenario, so,

• Suddenly after 2 weeks laid up Both batteries flat.
  • Jump started, 15 minute run and seemed ok. Both batteries showing in the green on the control panel.
  • Put onto hook up O/N
  • This morning vehicle battery has insufficient charge to start engine.
  • Jump started, but now habitation control panel is dead. No interior lights , water pump etc. etc.

• Has worked perfectly for 9 months but have now got suspicious of a previous very occaisonal smell in cab area (once or twice in 9months). We also had to have 2 interior lights renewed recently due to "faulty" circuits.

When (and if) my wife gets back in it tonight, my intention is to put the vehicle battery on charge through an optimate.

• Do I need to disconnect the earth or live to the vehicle? - this looks difficult with the position and all the extra plate full of connections on this terminal.
  • Does charging and jump starting the vehicle battery effect the habitation battery
  • What could be causing the drain - (how to measure?)
  • I don't know the technical differance between vehicle and habitation batteries, any one know if an optimate recharge would help out the habitation battery?

Any advice would be welcome, as would any reading material which would help me understand the complexity of the vehicle!
Many Thanks in anticipation
Steve
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hi Some help while you wait for an expert.
Your batteries may be old,10 years? Previous use unknown.
Voltages are helpful not the term flat battery.
15 min run would not charge flat batteries.
On EHU i believe yours would only charge leisure battery.
Before you go further i would get/borrow a multimeter to check voltages at your batteries.
Hope this helps.
Micky

mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:24 pm

My Nuevo is a 2006 so presume has same control panel which is an MES brand. Picture is a library photo not mine so don't worry about the heater control being different.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The battery gauge only shows state of leisure battery not engine battery. It makes no difference whether the hab/vehicle switch is switched to vehicle, that is only for charging purposes. I've never jump started mine and never charged it with an outside charger whilst still connected. Can't be much more help at the moment other than to suggest checking fuses under drivers seat where the leisure battery is as that may be the cause of the control panel not working.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:29 pm

stephen8doyle wrote:Do I need to disconnect the earth or live to the vehicle? - this looks difficult with the position and all the extra plate full of connections on this terminal.

No - generally with modern intelligent chargers and trickle/maintenance chargers you don't need to do anything other than connect them up. You may need to exercise a bit more caution with older chargers, and you definitely need to be very, very careful with fast chargers, because they can raise the battery voltage temporarily to very high levels which can damage control modules in the vehicle.

One other point: It's a really bad idea to put your email address in plain view on any forum, unless you like receiving spam...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen8doyle Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:49 pm

-mojo- wrote:
stephen8doyle wrote:Do I need to disconnect the earth or live to the vehicle? - this looks difficult with the position and all the extra plate full of connections on this terminal.

No - generally with modern intelligent chargers and trickle/maintenance chargers you don't need to do anything other than connect them up. You may need to exercise a bit more caution with older chargers, and you definitely need to be very, very careful with fast chargers, because they can raise the battery voltage temporarily to very high levels which can damage control modules in the vehicle.

One other point: It's a really bad idea to put your email address in plain view on any forum, unless you like receiving spam...

Thanks -- and good point about e mail- I guess I am a bit too trusting, only just realised there was a e mail link in the forum up!
stephen8doyle
stephen8doyle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen8doyle Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Paulmold wrote:My Nuevo is a 2006 so presume has same control panel which is an MES brand. Picture is a library photo not mine so don't worry about the heater control being different.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The battery gauge only shows state of leisure battery not engine battery. It makes no difference whether the hab/vehicle switch is switched to vehicle, that is only for charging purposes. I've never jump started mine and never charged it with an outside charger whilst still connected. Can't be much more help at the moment other than to suggest checking fuses under drivers seat where the leisure battery is as that may be the cause of the control panel not working.
Thank you :)
stephen8doyle
stephen8doyle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:41 pm

stephen8doyle wrote:

Without the engine running the vehicle and habitation 12v electrics are separate.  When the engine starts the habitation electrics are disconnected from the Leisure battery and the leisure battery connected to the vehicle battery so they are both charged by the vehicle alternator.  When your engine started during the jump start its alternator output will have been at its highest voltage because of the poor state or the vehicle battery and that voltage will have induced a current surge that will have blown the fuse at the +ve connection to the Leisure battery.

The original problem is probably caused by both batteries being worn out on the basis everything worked ok for 9 months unless you know of anything else that has changed on the vehicle electrics in recent times.

It is also a possibility that the split charge relay has failed in a state where the leisure and vehicle batteries are permanently connected and if during that time an associated fault prevented the habitation circuitry being disconnected with the engine running, then that could be the cause of smells and light failures

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:54 pm

The Caravan Club website has a very informative article on batteries. It makes clear the difference in structure of engine and habitation batteries and includes good guidance on charging and general maintenance. It's a useful starting point for the novice owner.
Find it by putting "batteries" into the search facility. Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:51 am

Whilst info from the likes of the CC may be a guide they are not always upto date for all vehicles and do not take into account variations from norm such as the Ford Auxillary Battery fitted into Mk 7 Transits, which are neither a habitation nor a starter battery.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:22 am

You beat me to it Roger; the advice is dated and for caravans. AS don't fit deep cycle leisure batteries as a modern motorhome with engine charging, solar panels and hook up option does not often go for many days without any charge and a deep cycle battery will only accept charge slowly so will not recharge efficiently from the vehicle engine.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:25 am

I have a similar van to yours Stephen. Regarding the smell in the van, see this post; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Roger and Peter
Steve wrote "Any advice would be welcome".
I wrote "It's a useful starting point for the novice owner"

I stand by that. It provides a reasonable conceptual framework within which he can apply and better understand more specific advice he might receive relating to his MH.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:39 pm

KMRTOPAZ wrote:

I stand by that. It provides a reasonable conceptual framework within which he can apply and better understand more specific advice he might receive relating to his MH.
Keith

I take your point, it is unfortunate that, although containing accurate information for one application, it is not a well structured document.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Plenty of advice.  However for a novice i still think he needs a multimeter.

Without some readings his problem could be anything.

If this is outside his comfort zone ,I suggest getting a visit from an electrician.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Nuevo 05 Electrics and battery Empty Dodgy connection

Post by Sherlock Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Having previously owned a 53plate nuevo, I had similar issues and found the problem to be poor and overheating connections on the fuse holders under the drivers seat. Some of the connectors were badly scorched and I had to remake using new connector blocks obtained from Halfords. The leisure battery also had to be replaced. Good luck, great van ,
Sherlock
Sherlock

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : broadway
Vehicle Year : Vehicle Year:2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Heidi Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Heidi went through a similar scenario last year, without the smell.
Tried charging x 2, then garage jump started her, eventually had new vehicle battery fixed which seemed to do the job.
Have Nuevo 2.2hdi, 2005 model, am also very new to all these problems, unfortunately I fail to understand all the technical stuff, so have to rely on garage a bit more than I would like.
Hope you're able to sort it soon, before a freeze.
Regards B.
Heidi
Heidi

Female

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Steve,
If you are in RAC etc. and have "homestart", or whatever, then call 'em out and they all carry battery testers and will be able quickly to tell you if either/both of yours are duff.
If you are not in RAC etc or have not got homestart... why not? smile!

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen8doyle Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:19 am

Hi everyone. Firstly I am stunned by the help offered. Thank you. I have a plan!
1. Measure voltages. 12.2 vehicle and 11.92 Hab after a 36 mile run.(still no habitat lights)
2. put accumate on min 24 hrs (this is where I am up to) Remeasure voltages. At present accumate is showing steady green = bat ok. But after waiting for feedback from manufacturers, they advise disconnecting batteries and putting through 24/48 hr analysis cycle separately. ( how do you disconnect the hab batt under the seat?)
3. I will publish resultant voltages ASAs I can get at the vehicle in daylight after 1st cycle of leaving the vehicle intact on the intelligent charger.

Afeter reading the various thread people have kindly posted, my suspensions are leading towards relays.
There are two relays under the seat-Which is for what?
I have taken pics but can't seem to upload them. It keeps going around in circles!
PS and no I don't have a cloud to direct to, the only cloud is in my head LOL

Also, I am thinking if relays are generic, and easily and economically obtained, I would quite happily replace both as a long tern investment in reliability? You thoughts?
stephen8doyle
stephen8doyle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:39 am

If you read my earlier post Stephen, I mention where relays and holders can be obtained from.
Also the link in this thread may be helpful. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Regarding getting to the leisure battery, yes, the seat has to be removed. A pain first time you do it, but a small mod to the non captive nuts can make future removal a doddle.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:14 am

stephen8doyle wrote:

I have taken pics but can't seem to upload them. It keeps going around in circles!
PS and no I don't have a cloud to direct to, the only cloud is in my head LOL

This may help

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:35 am

stephen8doyle wrote:
1. Measure voltages. 12.2 vehicle and 11.92 Hab after a 36 mile run.(still no habitat lights)

As both batteries should have been joined together and charged together during the run, the voltages should be much closer together. The leisure battery isn't being charged and as the habitation circuits are not working either it is very likely that the fuse near the leisure battery +ve terminal is blown.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Nuevo 05 Electrics and battery Empty battery problem

Post by jeffg Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi, I had similar problem with my 06 Nuevo when I first got it last year. I didn't realise that you could charge both batteries from the on board charger when connected to 240v supply. Think you have to have the control panel 12v master switch to 'on', and select 'habitation' to charge the leisure battery. I had to replace the vehicle battery, but I found that although it looked quite complicated to disconnect the negative terminal, it was only fixed by one bolt. All the other cables could stay connected. Don't know if your model is the same, but mine has a switch to stop the radio switching off automatically. As the radio runs off the leisure battery, leaving this switch on seemed to drain it. Someone suggested that a battery condition indicator that plugs into the cigar lighter would be useful. I got one for a couple of quid from ebay and I use it all the time.
jeffg
jeffg

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen8doyle Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:19 am

Hi, sill working through issues. Peter had it right with the blown fuse. But now very suspicious of relay. I can see a purple wire has been purposely ct and replace. What dos this feed? I can't see a purple one on the wiring diagram.
stephen8doyle
stephen8doyle

Male

Back to top Go down