The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo WiFi

+4
Liam
Tinwheeler
Peter Brown
breakaleg
8 posters

Go down

Nuevo WiFi Empty Nuevo WiFi

Post by breakaleg Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 pm

Hi All,
I am picking up my Fiat based Nuevo on the 21st of this month or in nine more get ups.
Not that I'm counting.
So I was watching a hand over video posted by Marquiss on you tube.
When it got to the Wifi it suggested that when you turn it on you have search for it on your phone and select it when found? is this correct, I thought that you would have to put a data sim into it and use that.
Can anyone put me right on this please.

Also. I was going to have another sog system fitted but autosleeper said that the toilet wouldn't be covered under the warranty if we did this, can only presume that a fitting went wrong somewhere.
When you use bio washing tabs is that the pods or tablets or doesn't it matter which ?

Many thanks

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Nuevo WiFi Empty Re: Nuevo WiFi

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Pete, we use Aldi (or sometimes Lidl) Bio washing pods...about £2.20 for 20.
we have a factory fitted SOG system (not the through the door version) and it only changes the cassette end cap, to one with a hole that the SOG exit tube can fit into. all other elements of the install are not connected to the cassette/toilet/flush components, merely a fan in the bathroom and a pipe from the cassette endcap up to the roof for venting.
if you had an issue with the toilet, you could swap back the original cassette endcap and no-one would be the wiser.
great system.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 12, 2021 12:51 pm

You need to insert a payg or contract sim into the mifi unit to enable a 4G network connection. The link you phone and other devices to the mifi via wifi using the password given by the wifi unit.

I use Tesco cheapest bio laundry gel from its plastic bottle to keep the cassette squeaky clean whilst at home but, because I hate the creamy brown colour of the 'used' gel use Elan Blue Tabs when camping - not cheap but very convenient.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Peter is spot on with his description of using the Mifi unit. Ours came with a Vodafone sim which, once activated, had some sort of offer for additional data included. I'd get a 3Network Internet on Legs if I intended using it much.

The Mifi will then show up in the list of available Wi-fi connections on your phone/pad/lappy.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 pm

Tw, have you had a chance to test the signal strength/availability via the mifi unit and also the speed of data delivery against using a phone for tethering?
i have loads of data on my phone and it readily supports a couple of ipads, but with other things (like TV) moving towards the net (i have just got a Fire TV Stick) it will add to the load on a phone which, after all, is a phone....that can do many other things..
i was just wondering if the dedicated unit was markedly 'better'?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed May 12, 2021 1:38 pm

I've not tried it, BB, but I read a report (maybe on here?) of someone saying it performed much better than tethering to a phone. That might be due to its roof mounted aerial.

Like you, I find my phone easily runs 2 pads and uses surprisingly little data but I've not tried TV streaming.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks everyone, thats as I thought but the way he explained on the you tube video it almost sounded like reverse tethering. lol
Also thanks for the info on the tabs, I was planning on fitting a sog after the warranty had run out, I cannot see any reason why autosleeper won't cover it unless you damage the unit when fitting it.
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed May 12, 2021 1:55 pm

"… the way he explained on the you tube video it almost sounded like reverse tethering. lol"

It was Marquis….. snigger
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

breakaleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 12, 2021 2:37 pm

I did a post on the forum some time ago. Network connectivity (aerial performance) is better with the mifi unit than with a phone as the aerials in the mifi unit are larger and considerably better with the mifi unit connected to the external aerial.

My mifi mobile data is a rolling 30 day contract that is free for the first 250MB then £1 per GB after that. So if the signal strength is there I used my phone data first by tethering then if the signal strength is low or I've used up phone data I use the mifi.

Streaming to the TV is via a firestick. It all works very well unless you have no signal at all as in places in the Forest of Dean, Clumber Park or similar or the mobile network base station you are connected to is also being used by many other heavy data users as was the case during a recent week at Filey.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

breakaleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2021 4:41 pm

thanks TW and Peter. 
one thing i will do is use two different networks for a mifi and phone.
'normal' DTV and satellite currently cover most eventualities (my Sky box can also be network connected, tested on the phone and works OK) but sometimes its very windy (not good for a large dish) or the DTV signal is poor....rarely both, but sometimes.
then a Fire Stick is useful...live TV and/or streaming...
would be bad luck to have poor network service alongside a windy day with useless DTV....
not dependant on TV but having paid and got it sorted....
always a good book, DVD or......heaven forbid😉
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed May 12, 2021 5:54 pm

Not a very scientific test I know, but - 
we have been using a Vodafone mobile data device for the last few months as our house broadband service (delay in getting telephone/bb line to the house) and the signal strength was generally hovering at or around one bar on the screen.
I have now put the same Vodafone sim into our Warwick wifi router (its a Huawei Mobile WiFi) and the signal strength is now showing at 3 to 4 bars - data download seems better but I have not tested it off site yet.
Therefore, I would suggest that the net effect of using the A/S built in M/H WiFi aerial increases the signal strength by a factor of at least X2 or maybe even X3.
A very worthwhile addition to the motorhome functionality if you are seeking a reliable comms connection whilst away from home.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2021 6:21 pm

thanks Liam...the next thing is looking at dta only sims...none of them are particularly good value (even the ones oft mentioned) when compared to data prices as part of a phone monthly contract.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pm

If you are with Vodafone check to see if you have any offers available. I have just had a second sim only deal,100gb a month unlimited calls and text for £10 for 18 months , I put  it straight in the mifi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Wed May 12, 2021 10:22 pm

bolero boy wrote:Tw, have you had a chance to test the signal strength/availability via the mifi unit and also the speed of data delivery against using a phone for tethering?
i have loads of data on my phone and it readily supports a couple of ipads, but with other things (like TV) moving towards the net (i have just got a Fire TV Stick) it will add to the load on a phone which, after all, is a phone....that can do many other things..
i was just wondering if the dedicated unit was markedly 'better'?

I did do a comparison download Speedtest between my mifi and phone using the same SIM card, the mifi was faster, although I can’t remember the figures now. This was at home with poor reception, a lot of trees. And if I remember correctly the mifi picked up 4G which my phone seldom does (iPhone 6). 

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 am

FreelanderUK wrote:If you are with Vodafone check to see if you have any offers available. I have just had a second sim only deal,100gb a month unlimited calls and text for £10 for 18 months , I put  it straight in the mifi
thanks, i was looking at these....(and the 160g for £20)....i did read that it is possible, as you say, to put this type of card into a mifi in lieu of a 'data only' sim.
bearing in mind some comments in other threads re the european restrictions on receiving home services across the net, i need to weigh up how much streamed tv we might use in the van as most of pur touring is 'over there'....as it will be again from the new year.
ill also check out a VPN service if this can overcome the above, if so then a sim as you describe will give up pretty good independence from site wifi charges.
thanks,
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 am

bolero boy wrote:
FreelanderUK wrote:If you are with Vodafone check to see if you have any offers available. I have just had a second sim only deal,100gb a month unlimited calls and text for £10 for 18 months , I put  it straight in the mifi
thanks, i was looking at these....(and the 160g for £20)....i did read that it is possible, as you say, to put this type of card into a mifi in lieu of a 'data only' sim.
bearing in mind some comments in other threads re the european restrictions on receiving home services across the net, i need to weigh up how much streamed tv we might use in the van as most of pur touring is 'over there'....as it will be again from the new year.
ill also check out a VPN service if this can overcome the above, if so then a sim as you describe will give up pretty good independence from site wifi charges.
thanks,
With Vodafone there is a 25gb fair usage policy when roaming so if you had one in the phone and one in the mifi that gives 50gb a month.

They have offers on all the time and if you drop lucky you can get a good deal ,just make sure that you don’t get the light package as that’s the slowest download

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2021 9:13 am

AFAIK, the fair usage only referred to unlimited packages...our current 60gb contract was not restricted in that way and, if the same, the 100g nor 160gb would be either??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu May 13, 2021 9:15 am

Both my new contracts are 120gb and 100gb data but unlimited calls and text and both have the fair usage policy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2021 9:19 am

ok, my contract is about 8 months old, things may have changed...
25gb gives around 830mb a day which may well be enough... perhaps stream in SD to keep numbers lower...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 am

[quote="bolero boy"]
FreelanderUK wrote:
thanks,

I trialled Express VPN for a month as I wanted to 'appear' to be in Germany to use one of their streaming services. It works a treat and I would recommend it. To watch what I wanted, I would have had to subscribe to the streaming service as well as to the VPN service and it wasn't worth (to me) the cost.

In the summer of 2019 in Europe (before I installed the mifi and external aerial) I used the phone to view BBC Iplayer connected to TV by HDMI lead with no problem so I don't think you will need a VPN if that is what you want to do.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Thu May 13, 2021 2:26 pm

On the subject of toilet chemicals we are not fans of the bio laundry sachets and much prefer Aquachem, however, the blue variety is not suitable for septic tanks so you need the green one on some sites/CLs (not as good in my opinion). The blue fluid is not very environmentally friendly and could well be banned at some point. Use it up quick I say!
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu May 13, 2021 9:44 pm

May I respectfully suggest, that, before worrying about any of the above (all of interest of course, in the longer term) that on the way home from Marquis you take it to the local weighbridge and get some accurate weights for it. Never going to be a better chance to get a true "empty" weight. up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down