The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiFi internet connection.

+7
The Bargee
Chezer
Dave 418
Dbvwt
IanH
RML
bernieproberts
11 posters

Go down

WiFi internet connection. Empty WiFi internet connection.

Post by bernieproberts Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:55 pm

Hi All,

I am thinking of installing a Maxview Roam WiFi system. I would be grateful for advice from people who have a WiFi set up. The questions are, should I go for 150Mbps or 300Mbps, how much data should I need on the Sim card, and which type of Sim card should I be looking at? Also I see it does not support a Captive Portal. Does this mean that it will not enhance the campsite WiFi?

Bernie.

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : 2013 Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

WiFi internet connection. Empty Re: WiFi internet connection.

Post by RML Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:44 am

I don't know about the product you mention but these have a good reputation on this subject and I used their kit when I did the same.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bernieproberts Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:36 pm

Thank you Rich,
I have now looked at motorhomewifi. It is similar to the Maxview products. I am now thinking of the Maxview Roam Combo WiFi and Terrestial TV Aerial. This will replace my present aerial and I would not need to drill a hole in the roof. Also all the connections would be in the wardrobe.
Bernie

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : 2013 Nuevo ES

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:28 pm

We have one of these, works anywhere with a phone signal.
Sim card is 25Gb and 2 yr life whichever is used up first.
Superb, and we take it on non Mh trips too as usually better than hotel or other free ones...

OK we don't stream movies etc, works great for email/surfing to find information etc...Google it..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HUAWEI E5577 White 4G Low-cost Travel Wi-Fi, Super-Fast Portable Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot – Long-lasting Battery
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:23 pm

Great little unit Ian. 
The only thing I would add is that it doesn’t have connections for an external/roof antenna if this is something that is required. I had to buy the E5577cs-321 which has external ports although I believe the cs-321 is not a current model.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:39 am

Hi David

Mine is  an E33F no idea if still current.
But, it does have an ext aerial socket, see pic.
Indeed we also have the aerial in the van but never used it, mainly because we've never had to!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:06 am

Not being tech savvy I had a Huawei with a 3 SIM card we put credit on before we went away. It worked quite well just placed on top of dashboard in the van . Like Ian we used it for searches and e mails.
I inherited our daughters I phone some time ago and recently our son in law activated the WiFi on it with a 3 SIM card so we use that as a hot spot for WiFi now. I didn’t think having WiFi on a phone was worth bothering with but it’s been quite useful.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

RML and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:22 pm

IanH wrote:Hi David

Mine is  an E33F no idea if still current.
But, it does have an ext aerial socket, see pic.
Indeed we also have the aerial in the van but never used it, mainly because we've never had to!

Sorry Ian, thought you had the basic E5577, I nearly made the mistake of buying one before I realised that it didn’t have the external ports I wanted. 
Must admit, mine works really well when I remove it from the van and use it as a portable standalone unit, in my experience much better than when I used my phone as a hotspot. Connecting it to the external antenna in the van, I’ve found gives at least an extra bar on the signal and a much more reliable connection.

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:11 pm

We go to some pretty remote places David and rarely have had problems, indeed it has never occurred to me to use the aerials I have.

Interestingly we took it on a cruise the whole length of Norway last year. It proved better than the ship free wifi by a long way, as I say as soon as it sees a phone signal we're in business!

All it gets used for, though (for others I know you already know) is daily emails, sending photos back to relatives etc and googling if we need more info as to where we are or are going. Certainly not streaming films etc that would use the sim data in no time. The data card is 24Gb and has a life of 2 calendar years from first activation in it. So far we have never run out of data, just date!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chezer Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:55 am

We have just installed a teltonika rutx50 router and a poynting 7.1 mimo antenna on our Nuevo motor home, it my be a bit over the top but it certainly works great with the EE and the Three SIM cards we live in rural Lincolnshire and getting good 5g reception from the mast some 4 miles away. The antenna is very neat on top of the van and was very easy to fit. These units are very expensive but should be future proof.   The price of the router has dropped a lot over the past month and we purchased ours from Solwise and used EXPOREVAN for 10% discount on both items. The GPS is also very useful and the Wi-Fi signal goes a long way due to the external antennas on the 7.1 poynting.   If you do purchase the router I would advise you to get the 12 volt cigarette lead as normal type will not fit.   Hope this help.
Chezer
Chezer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo el
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:48 pm

IanH wrote:We go to some pretty remote places David and rarely have had problems, indeed it has never occurred to me to use the aerials I have.

Interestingly we took it on a cruise the whole length of Norway last year. It proved better than the ship free wifi by a long way, as I say as soon as it sees a phone signal we're in business!

All it gets used for, though (for others I know you already know) is daily emails, sending photos back to relatives etc and googling if we need more info as to where we are or are going. Certainly not streaming films etc that would use the sim data in no time. The data card is 24Gb and has a life of 2 calendar years from first activation in it. So far we have never run out of data, just date!!
Hurtigruten? We have just got back from one of their coastal express cruises. Very good! We too just used our phones. Much better than ship’s Wi-Fi and we never failed to have a signal, but we were on the top decks.

We find that our iphones with unlimited data cover most needs. We do have a BT Minihub which occasionally seems to be more sensitive, and seems happier feeding multiple devices, but most of the time the phones are OK, even streaming. Our barge’s mooring is right by the Belgian/French border so we sometimes have signal issues, but we have never felt the need to spend serious money on external antennae etc. We just hang the Minihub up in the wheelhouse window.

We did try various external antennae up the mast etc. some years ago when based and cruising in the wilds of France but did not find any tangible benefit, although things might have changed now in terms of equipment quality. At the time we felt ripped off!

I would not be buying Maxview.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

WiFi internet connection. Empty wifi on th move

Post by Apple Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:26 pm

I use a TPlink M7350 with a Lyca mobile sim (100gb for £6. / month) runs on EE.

No drilling, put it on the dash and charge by USB - easy and no problems. 

Currently on a site near Falkirk with 25gb download, more than enough for footy and films. My average use is about 7gb / day - it's on all the time
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:30 pm

I just put my iPhone either on the backrest of the seating or the roof hatch 
and use the phone as a hotspot 

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:44 pm

The best solution rather depends on whether the motorhome is a coachbuilt or a panel van. We are in the latter category and with the foil-backed blinds deployed after dark our van becomes a Faraday cage and attenuates a weak phone signal to the point where broadband is unusable. This is when the external roof antenna really earns its keep.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:The best solution rather depends on whether the motorhome is a coachbuilt or a panel van. We are in the latter category and with the foil-backed blinds deployed after dark our van becomes a Faraday cage and attenuates a weak phone signal to the point where broadband is unusable. This is when the external roof antenna really earns its keep.

Tim
No offence to anyone else but nice to hear from someone who speaks my language.  I worked in a Farady cage to calibrate automatic direction receivers for aircraft
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:02 pm

My foam insulated but al foil coated workshop is a near perfect Faraday Cage up! hugegrins

Monocoques in GRP are theoretically radio transparent, my wee Mifi works fine in most places
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down