The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway WiFi Kit

+2
v8oholic
westjj42
6 posters

Go down

Broadway WiFi Kit Empty Broadway WiFi Kit

Post by westjj42 Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:20 pm

Hi Team
I’m about to collect a 2016 Broadway and I’d like to install a WiFi kit. I don’t want to drill into the roof and would prefer to find a WiFi aerial that I can attach to the roof via a magnetic pad and run the wires into the van via skylight to be used once parked up. I’m wondering if anyone can recommend such a unit and prefered routers as I know there are so many out there. I just want to be able to get the best connection by using an external Ariel as the dongles I’ve used internally never work well due to the vans insulation.
Thoughts appreciated?
westjj42
westjj42

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Broadway WiFi Kit Empty Re: Broadway WiFi Kit

Post by v8oholic Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:31 pm

A quick google shows that there are a few mag mount 4G and 5G aerials available for £30-60, which is probably comparable with a permanent one. The Connex one comes with a 4 metre cable, which sounds plenty. I’m sure it would do the job.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:12 pm

I don’t want to appear rude but isn’t the Broadway a coach build and hence a magnetic mount won’t work. When I used the Huawei for WiFi I manage by sitting it on top of the dashboard.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:44 am

I read your comments but imo roof fitting is the best even if you get it done professionally.  The antennas have a full contact sticky surface area and there is a threaded insert that pulls it all down tight inside. I had one professionally fitted and the guy put an additional seal around the edge and after 5 years it's still perfect. The advantage is that it can be used on the road, I had my 10in tablet on the dashboard clipboard running Google maps, UK radio and a digital speedometer all from data throughout France and Spain. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:57 am

I’m with RML. I fitted mine a few years ago and had no concerns over leaks after seeing how it sealed to the van. I know many people are worried about drilling holes in the roof but if done properly there is no problem IMO.
It’s great to have WiFi available without having to faff with an antenna, setting hotspot on the phone etc..
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:12 pm

I use a TPlink M7350 with a Lyca mobile sim (100gb for £6. / month) runs on EE.

No drilling, put it on the dash and charge by USB - easy and no problems. 

Currently on a site near Falkirk with 25gb download, more than enough for footy and films. My average use is about 7gb / day - it's on all the time
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down