The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford Cooker

4 posters

Go down

Thetford Cooker  Empty Thetford Cooker

Post by Brian Hill Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:38 pm

Our Burford is 18 months old. The right side gas hob rings will not stay alight. The dealer is aware but wants us to take the MH for an initial inspection to make a warranty claim and then return for repairs. For us this would mean two trips amounting to 520 miles as well as time. My question is has anyone had similar problems, if so what was the repair? Is a DIY repair possible.
Brian Hill
Brian Hill

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Thetford Cooker  Empty Re: Thetford Cooker

Post by Kemerton-bath Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:27 pm

I recommend you ask your dealer if they’ll let you take it to your nearest Thetford service agent, who will be listed on Thetford’s website. We had a similar issue with the grill not staying lit and our dealer was happy with this approach. 

He and I both suspected a faulty thermocouple, which proved to be the case, and cost around £100 to replace. I paid the bill and he reimbursed me. 

If your dealer won’t agree to this reasonable way of proceeding then it may be cheaper for you to have it fixed outside of the warranty than to pay for 520 miles worth of diesel. I recommend you don’t try to fix it yourself, not least because tinkering with a gas appliance is unwise unless you carry a GasSafe ticket.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:57 pm

I had a similar experience to both of you.  Thetford Triplex oven, only 4 months old, grill would not stay alight.

A trip to the dealer would have used a lot of fuel, so I found my nearest Thetford service agent from the Thetford website, and rang them.  I have to say they were brilliant.  They contacted Thetford immediately, who authorised a replacement and a sum of money to cover the cost, and four days later the service agent came and fixed the oven.  The overall cost was slightly greater than the sum Thetford allocated (the service agent came to my house), and in the end I was only £40 out of pocket but having had a quick repair and had to use no fuel.  And yes - it was a faulty thermocouple.

Service agent told me that Thetford are usually difficult to deal with and often take 6-8 weeks to agree a repair, so this was unusual!

So it may be useful to contact your local Service agent.

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:53 pm

I had a problem with the oven door catch which was replaced under warranty by a local Thetford agent.  This was much easier than making two return trips to the dealer.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down