The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worcester cooker door rattling

+4
JanGlover
Pam Hudson
mrs roli
David Parkes
8 posters

Go down

Worcester cooker door rattling Empty Worcester cooker door rattling

Post by David Parkes Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy new door catches for my new cooker it won't stop rattling and coming open while I'm driving,with it being a new motorhome you would have thought these sort of problems would have been sorted out its been back twice to sort out but it's still the same, does anyone else have the same problem or any ideas.

David Parkes
David Parkes

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Worcester cooker door rattling Empty Re: Worcester cooker door rattling

Post by mrs roli Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:58 pm

What is the make of the cooker ?
mrs roli
mrs roli

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Pam Hudson Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi,

Must be very annoying on a new "van" ; on my older M/H the magnetic catch is worn and so I use a Door jam/wedge to keep it closed whilst in transit. I've been told that these catches are prone to wear and difficult to find replacement. Also when they can be found likely to cost £40+.

I'd rather spend the money on fuel !!

But I do think your dealer should replace it if still under warranty.

Wedge may help in meantime.

Pam H
Pam Hudson
Pam Hudson

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Mirage 5000

Back to top Go down

Post by JanGlover Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Ours sometimes comes open. It seems to depend on how it is shut. There is some play in the door. Putting a single layer of tea towel between it and the frame sometimes helps. Other times it is fine.Oven rattles are sorted by removing the shelf and wrapping it in bubble wrap. I store it in the bottom of the cooker along with the grill pan. i do think it should be sorted under warranty but you may have to go back to the oven manufacturer for the parts.broomstick:
JanGlover
JanGlover

Female

Back to top Go down

Worcester cooker door rattling Empty Cooker

Post by David Parkes Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:58 pm

mrs roli wrote:What is the make of the cooker ?
i will go and have a look and come back to you on that
David Parkes
David Parkes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by David Parkes Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm

[quote="JanGlover"]Ours sometimes comes open. It seems to depend on how it is shut. There is some play in the door. Putting a single layer of tea towel between it and the frame sometimes helps. Other times it is fine.Oven rattles are sorted by removing the shelf and wrapping it in bubble wrap. I store it in the bottom of the cooker along with the grill pan. i do think it should be sorted under warranty but you may have to go back to the oven manufacturer for the parts.broomstick: [/quo. Looks like you've got the same motorhome as I have with the same problem
David Parkes
David Parkes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JanGlover Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 pm

I think so. I've just gone out to the van and got the handbook. I think the model is a duel fuel model.
Spinflo by Thetford. S-OH73000-Mk3 caprice(3 Burner+hot plate.
The handbook is just folded sheets and not very helpful. On the back sheet it talks about removing doors but nothing about catch adjustment that I can find. Ours works ok most of the time. We have a routine though of going round and checking all doors and drawers when we first move off site as we initially had problems with them. The oven stays shut most times but it is stiff. The drawer problems were cured under warranty but we never asked for anything to be done to the oven door. I think Groundhog who also has a Worcester also had problems with a rattling oven. I haven't read any posts from him recently on this site though. I think you should go back to Marquis and ask them to contact the manufacturer if it really is a problem. Doors that fly open are dangerous. They have been by and large been really helpful with our warranty problems. Our van is just over a year old now and has covered a lot of ground. We like it a lot. It is very comfortable and has a lot of froom! If there is such a word! My only reservation is that it is slightly wide! Not long but wide! The lay out works well for us! I hope this is helpful? Come back to us if you need more information. broomstick biggrin
JanGlover
JanGlover

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by David Parkes Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:41 pm

JanGlover wrote:I think so. I've just gone out to the van and got the handbook. I think the model is a duel fuel model.
Spinflo by Thetford. S-OH73000-Mk3 caprice(3 Burner+hot plate.
The handbook is just folded sheets and not very helpful. On the back sheet it talks about removing doors but nothing about catch adjustment that I can find. Ours works ok most of the time. We have a routine though of going round and checking all doors and drawers when we first move off site as we initially had problems with them. The oven stays shut most times but it is stiff. The drawer problems were cured under warranty but we never asked for anything to be done to the oven door. I think Groundhog who also has a Worcester also had problems with a rattling oven. I haven't read any posts from him recently on this site though. I think you should go back to Marquis and ask them to contact the manufacturer if it really is a problem. Doors that fly open are dangerous. They have been by and large been really helpful with our warranty problems. Our van is just over a year old now and has covered a lot of ground. We like it a lot. It is very comfortable and has a lot of froom! If there is such a word! My only reservation is that it is slightly wide! Not long but wide! The lay out works well for us! I hope this is helpful? Come back to us if you need more information. :broomstic

We love ours and it has got lots of vroom and your wright about the width as well its caught me out a few times and I'm used to driving vans truck fork lifts and so on, anyway thanks for the information I will get on to the manufacturer and tell them the problem don't you think it's strange that they don't us magnetic catches like on other cookers if I have no joy I might look at modifying it
biggrin
David Parkes
David Parkes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JanGlover Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Check your handbook first. I think I've got the right model number. Perhaps magnetic catches aren't strong enough. I wouldn't do any modifications yourself if it is still in warranty. You might nullify it. Keep me posted about progress! wave
JanGlover
JanGlover

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JanGlover Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 pm

PS.The word I meant is Vroom! Vroom! Vroom! Great engine! allthumbz
JanGlover
JanGlover

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by David Parkes Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 pm

JanGlover wrote:Check your handbook first. I think I've got the right model number. Perhaps magnetic catches aren't strong enough. I wouldn't do any modifications yourself if it is still in warranty. You might nullify it. Keep me posted about progress! wave

Wouldn't do anything whilst still under warranty will keep you posted on my progress
David Parkes
David Parkes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 am

Hi David

Its most unusual for the oven door catch to be loose, normally they are very tight so I would check that you are pushing it firmly shut - it often takes a bit of effort. Next time you are with your dealer, ask him to demonstrate.

I've spent years trying to minimise rattles on several vans. No two are the same. I could suggest towels, bits of sponge, cushions, glue, blue tack, pegs, tyre pressures..... My current solution (and by far the best) is to turn my hearing aids off and the radio up!

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:19 pm

Hello .... I have posted a reply but for some reason it has gone into the heater vents post ... Mods can you correct this please.... if not have a look there frustrating
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Worcester cooker door rattling Empty cooker door

Post by steveparris Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm

hi my worcester has been back three times for the same cooker prob, they have now fitted some butterfly clips to stop the door opening but the wood has split where they screwed them. not good for a new van regards steve
steveparris
steveparris

Auto-Sleeper : worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Certainly not good for whoever fitted the clips, they should have drilled the wood first, I wouldn't accept that but not sure how it can now be changed.

I added another small modification to mine and it really doesn't rattle at all now. Open the door and you will see on the right hand side two screw holes at the top and bottom. Cut a thin piece of wood to fit top to bottom of the door covering the inner holes and then put two small bolts through the wood, one at top and one at bottom that will slip into the holes.Attach some foam to the wood ( I used a sliver of pipe insulation which was cut off and fixed with black duct tape. Just pop it into place and shut the door on it using the clip to hold it shut. No more rattles I promise! Simples......!

We also hold the shelves in place with clothes pegs, that stopped those and araldited the pull out heat protecter partly out as that rattled too!

That should do it but bottom line is they are built as good as the name Crapice. Please Mr Autosleeper could we have stoves ovens next time, much better imho. tap_fingers
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:46 pm

So my first modification was only partially satisfactory, after a bit of extended use on bumpy roads the door still tries to come open, the clip I added stops that, but, the door bounces up and down on the pathetic catch and squeaks annoyingly. Now planning to fit some heat resistant magnetic catches to prevent this, have seen them on line and it looks feasible - anyone found another cure?

This cooker really is a piece of ++++, the little catches which stop the grill door pushing right in have now come loose and rotated down, you have to take the whole thing out to tighten them ( I will araldite them in place) so the emergency repair in the Alps was to stick two matchsticks behind them! £60K plus and that's what you get.

There is a new rattle free Thetford unit now fitted to Bailey motorhomes only, is that because A/S are too tight to buy the decent unit or have Bailey done a deal of exclusivity? 

Rant over, I feel better already........
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by JanGlover Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:30 pm

I would suggest that a pair of steel capped boots and a good kick might do the trick! Our door makes a resounding crash when we go over speed bumps but mainly stays shut. We are getting deafer as we get older!
hugegrins  broomstick
JanGlover
JanGlover

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Perhaps the answer lies in using the steel toecaps to just kick the door off in  such a way that you can hook it back on when you want to use the oven, that should stop it!allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Worcester cooker door rattling Empty COOKER DOOR

Post by tikiti Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:30 am

We knew about this potential problem before we bought, so travel with a bungy cord wrapped round the oven door handle and the other end clipped into the handle of the  cutlery drawer. It has never come open during transit. I also remove the oven shelf and grill tray. Good luck

Grey Nomad NZ
tikiti
tikiti

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : WORCESTER.

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Grey Nomad

Glad you went for the Worcester in the end and hope it brings you lots of pleasure!

Just ordered a couple of nickel magnetic catches from fleebay which I shall screw inside the frame to stop the up and down movement and hopefully the squeaking noise, my clip stops the door opening just fine and dare I say it looks very neat..... cost about three pounds for the magnets so nothing to lose by having a go:up!:
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Worcester cooker door rattling Empty WORCESTER

Post by tikiti Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Groundhog,
                       Very pleased with our home on wheels. Hardly ever home since purchasing and off to the South Island in our coming summer for 3 months +. Every m/home will have rattles of sorts.  Still adding bits and pieces to make life on the road comfortable. Just purchased a thermal cooker that cooks your dinner whilst you travel. Apart from a few minutes on the gas in the morning, the thermal pot cooks it over the next few hours. The clearance has not been a problem so far, but we are careful. Just a few issues with our leisure battery not lasting the distance over night. Getting it sussed out, but think we might need to replace it for more amps and or a deep cycle battery. Had so much different advice it is hard to know what is best. What type of battery do you have in yours?  Would it be the original? I have asked AS and got good advice. Thanks for your help in the past. Certainly a comfortable habitation and the motor is excellent.  Serves us well.
Grey Nomad.
tikiti
tikiti

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:24 am

Hi Grey Nomad

Glad you are pleased with the van as you say it is awesomely comfortable to live in, we have just returned from a month or so in France and apart from a couple of little problems which I rectified easily enough everything worked just great.

As your van is brand new you may have the second generation model which has a 30w solar panel as standard. I think that is nowhere near enough to keep you topped up. We have the standard single battery but with 100w panel and have never come close to running out of power even running the heating all night.

Others will be better placed to answer your question than me as we tend to move around when away so the engine charges up as well of course, sure someone will be along shortly to advise!

Groundhog
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Worcester cooker door rattling Empty battery

Post by tikiti Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi groundhog,
                      2 experts have now identified our battery as being deep cycle. As a matter of fact, the importing agent in NZ puts 130w solar on and this is what we have. We are going to do an exercise next time we go out and see just what we lose overnight with nothing on.
Perhaps we need to change all our lights to Led though we tend  to be very conservative with power and never waste it. Will let you know how we go further down the track.
Grey NOmad
tikiti
tikiti

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 pm

There has to be an electrical problem there surely? You cannot be using that much power and bear in mind that the main lights in the Worcester ( over the cupboards) are LED anyway?

Good luck and hope you find a solution.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down