The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vehicle Tracker device

5 posters

Go down

Vehicle Tracker device Empty Vehicle Tracker device

Post by dandywarhol Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:44 pm

I've fitted and tested a GPS/SMS/GPRS Tracker system and I've been testing the results.

Having recently had both a motorcycle and pushbike stolen I though I'd look into different security devices and purchased the tracking system

This clever bit o' kit uses a phone SIM card and thinks it's a phone!

If the van doors are opened (when activated) the device sends you a text
If the vehicle battery gets low during storage, the device sends you a text.
You can track the vehicle position either on a smart phone or a PC
You can immobilise the vehicle when it's laid up or if a scumbag takes your pride and joy you can immobilise it at any time by texting the device (probably best to do it when the scumbags have stopped rather than cut out on the motorway!)
If you feel under threat by other road users then there's a panic button you can press and it will alert up to 5 phone numbers!

Like everything these days, it's manufactured in China and I'm led to believe by industry experts that only a handful of manufacturers make all these devices and stick on different product labels hence the vast range of prices!

Here's some bumf on the exact same device http://www.e-ville.com/en/118-security/2943-gps-sms-gprs-vehicle-tracking-system.html

NOW, here's the hard sell biggrin If I get 20 folks to order one I can get this for £49.95 plus post (in the UK) The units are in the UK therefore there's no import tax to pay - it's a friend of mine who bought a bulk purchase when the prices were high and he's looking to clear his feet, albeit at a loss :-(

Like most cynics, I was sceptical at first but I'm amazed at what this thing does - it does everything it says on the tin!

Any interest?? drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Vehicle Tracker device Empty Re: Vehicle Tracker device

Post by TeamRienza Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi dandywarhol.

I was interested in such a device and did a little research and discovered that for about the same money a thief can buy a GPS signal blocker, (probably from the same manufacturer or seller) which can render a tracker useless. I was also a bit concerned that they were being shipped from the far east and I am dubious about using my credit card or the reliability of the firms.

Bulldog do a neat little GPS but at £145 is a bit steep for my cashflow.

At £45 I would be prepared to take a chance on this piece of kit that you have (your reputation is on the line hugegrins ) particularly since you seem to have had a chance to try it out.

Mark me down as interested, and PM me when you get enough interest. Any idea what the postage to N. Ireland might be?

Thanks

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for your interest Davy - I'd similar concerns as you with buying from China but the fact the tracker is here makes better sense. Only 19 more folks to go biggrin ...........not quite sure how the price dropped £4.95 in a few hours, we use the same currency don't we? hugegrins

I'll get an idea of postage during the week - can't see N.I. costing any more than the rest of the UK

Alan

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:16 am

Hi alan,

Sorry! £49.95. don't know if it was my eyesight or the dementia. scratch head

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 pm

"If the van doors are opened (when activated) the device sends you a text"

Does this suggest it needs to be installed that is wired into the van?

I thought these devices were just hidden in the vehicle. scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:00 pm

It can be as simple as purely a device to locate the tracker's position using it's own battery (like a mobile phone works) but it will have to be charged somehow so it's wired to the vehicle battery.

It can also do a multitude of other things if it's wired into the vehicle's wiring loom - interior light circuit which warns of intrusion.
Engine immobiliser, either instantly or the next time the engine is started (depending where it is wired to)

Geo location where the vehicle is only allowed within a predetermined radius of base.

You can have all or either, it's your choice orian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:00 am

As the contact name for our club (RTMR), from time to time I am approached by companies selling various items for "motorhoming"
This is a copy of an email I received at the beginning of the year, the alignment has gone a bit off 'cos it's a copy & paste job:

Deter and Foil any Attempt to steal your motorhome or its contents.

Our GPS security tracker is small enough to be easily hidden in your motorhome/caravan as it is no bigger than a box of matches. It has its own internal battery which will last up to 8 days and comes with small voltage dropper so that it can be powered by the leisure battery. Even after six months in storage the tracker will not significantly drain a 80aH 12v battery. During this time the tracker will monitor the ‘van and warn you if it moves. Unlike many security trackers there are no annual fees. The tracker communicates with your mobile phone. You simply buy a phone SIM card, preferable one to match your mobile phone to get the best rate, and then the tracker will act like a mobile phone. You can use your phone to ask it where it is or get it to warn you if it moves. Everything is done using text messaging and with messages costing about 10-12p you are very unlikely to spend £5 a year in messages.

Knowing if your ‘van has been stolen, wherever you are in the world, and being able to find out where it is an essential step to foil an attempt to steal it.

In a unique security package we also include a Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) microchips which is about the size of a grain of rice. These provide a covert ID marking to prove that the motorhome/caravan belongs to you. Futhermore we provide enough chips to mark significant items of content such as microwaves, TV, audio, satellite dishes, etc. Unlike some RFID chips that can only be detected by the manufacturers’ own scanners, ours conform to ISO 11784/5 FDXB which is the standard that Trading Standards now have to be equipped to read because recent legislation requires them to have this standard of RFID scanners.

We also include anti-tamper ID tags which give a clear, visible ID and so help to deter theft.

The ID markings can be registered on the police database (www.thenmpr.com) for FREE for life and you can include photographs to help police in the event of theft.

Members of your club can purchase these security packs at preferentially prices:

Product Normal Club

STOCKADE (includes 5 RFID chips and 8 ID Tags) £199 £149

STOCKADE MINI (includes 1 RFID chip and 2 ID Tags) £129 £99

No Increase following VAT rise to 20% in January 2011.

www.rbs-propertymarking.co.uk

click on the classic car club and enter the password gertie1972

Contact No 01474-350-883

Stan Ratcliffe
Director

boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Similar piece of kit boxerman.

I used to be in the RTMR too up! I'd a Trafic Holdsworth Romance - soon took of the Romance sticker - doesn't look good when 2 hetro bhoyos are off for a fishing weekend.......................... hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Similar piece of kit boxerman.

I used to be in the RTMR too up! I'd a Trafic Holdsworth Romance - soon took of the Romance sticker - doesn't look good when 2 hetro bhoyos are off for a fishing weekend.......................... hugegrins

And your van is still featured on the RTMR website http://www.rtmr.org/Holdsworth.htm#Elevating smile!
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 pm

boxerman wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:Similar piece of kit boxerman.

And your van is still featured on the RTMR website http://www.rtmr.org/Holdsworth.htm#Elevating smile!

Jeebus - I'd forgotten all about that.......................... scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Vehicle Tracker device Empty tracker offer

Post by murph Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Dandy,
I have recently bought my first smart phone, which makes a tracker viable, and having just spotted this thread which seemed to die out in November, did you ever get your 20 bodies to buy at £45, if the offer is still on please add my name to the list.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

This is what I bought (different supplier) plus a £10 PAYG Tesco SIM card.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-GPS-Personal-Locator-Car-GSM-Tracker-GT03B-Upgrade-Version-Realtime-UK-/220830251882?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item336a823b6a

I am pleased how easy it has been to check the location of my van on my mobile. up!

The only downside is it needs recharging every three days but I leave it on charge in the van.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Is it me or is that ebay description gobbeldegook? confused3
I realise that it's probably a direct translation from Chinese (?) but you'd think the sellers would read what their ad says and re-word it to suit the people it is aimed at. It puts you off buying what is probably a perfectly good product.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Frank,

You have a point but the link works. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Vehicle Tracker device Empty Tracker

Post by murph Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi Orian,
If it needs a tesco card it wouldnt suit me anyway, when in the UK I use a 1 month Vodaphone card for my internet access, and when at home in the Isle of Man I am on Manx Telecom, one of only 2 Mobile providers on the island. Also I refuse to put my financial details on the internet as I do not trust even the so called secure payment methods.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:44 pm

murph wrote: Hi Orian,
If it needs a tesco card it wouldnt suit me anyway, when in the UK I use a 1 month Vodaphone card for my internet access, and when at home in the Isle of Man I am on Manx Telecom, one of only 2 Mobile providers on the island. Also I refuse to put my financial details on the internet as I do not trust even the so called secure payment methods.

Hi Murph,

I believe it would work with any PAYG SIM. I chose Tesco because they are my nearest supplier. Sorry if that was confusing. confused3

Personally I use PayPal and my credit card details are kept from the supplier. allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi all,

I refer you to the first post on this thread by Dandywarhol.

I got one of these from him around the start of the year and finally got it installed last week. My van was getting a solar panel fitted and the cabling was in the wardrobe and under the base where the water heater etc are located. I got a live feed from the cable (after the regulator) so no one can find it easily, it has a built in battery also so not dependant on the panels. I installed a free Asda sim and loaded £5 and away it went.

I set it up to show location by sms if requested and it tells me if it travels more than 200mt. It then updates me with lat and long and speed every 3 min.

It is capable of lots of other features which Dandywarhol describes, and which I will try as my familiarity improves.

I know that it could be jammed but I dont have the money for the more expensive alarm systems like strikeback etc. and it gives me a bit of peace of mind.

The clincher for me was that it was coming from a respected member of the forum who had good personal experience of it and offered advice on it. At £50 it is worth a punt, and so far I am well pleased with it.

I am looking forward to exploring the other features in due course.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down