The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo, What to look for before buying? please

5 posters

Go down

Nuevo, What to look for before buying? please Empty Nuevo, What to look for before buying? please

Post by AngB Tue May 24, 2022 10:14 am

Hello all
I am hoping to buy my first motorhome very soon and I am going to look at a private advertised 2005 Nuevo 4 berth.

I have a general understanding of cars and damp (in properties) and a good damp meter to use. 
If you have or had a Nuevo yourself, what would be the weak points to look for, common failures and expensive fixes.
I don't mind crawling around underneath.

Any help is good help to me at this stage, Thanks.
AngB
AngB
AngB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Auto sleeper Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Nuevo, What to look for before buying? please Empty Re: Nuevo, What to look for before buying? please

Post by bikeralw Tue May 24, 2022 10:36 am

I've owned my 2 berth low profile Nuevo for 12 years now, and I wouldn't have kept it this long if it had been anything but great. It's been used on umpteen long distance continental tours, averaging about 4,000 miles a year.
The only weak point was the seal where the roof is put on up near the top marker lights. I don't know if it's the same on the four berth, but I had to reseal this early on as there was water ingress down the bulkhead behind the passenger seat. Sorted many years ago and not recurred since.
Other problems have all be Peugeot related, rear self-adjusting brake assembly collapsing, alternator packing up, and maybe the most expensive, it needed a new high pressure fuel pump at only 40k miles.
Oh, one more thing that failed was the gas ignition unit for the fridge. Not that expensive at £50 though.
It's also worth checking the drain holes in the shower tray, they're unsupported and can crack if someone has put a heel on one.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Nuevo, What to look for before buying? please Empty Re: Nuevo, What to look for before buying? please

Post by AngB Tue May 24, 2022 10:42 am

Hi
Brilliant info, I am encouraged by your long usage. I would prefer the 2 berth if I could get one. I have looked at few mot histories online and the brakes do appear a common issue.
Thanks
AngB
AngB
AngB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 am

I had my ES 4 berth for 4 years. Same damp issue as Al, bulkhead behind passenger seat, the long seal that goes from skirt right around the side panel needed resealing, nothing after that. Passed mot each year without any advisories.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue May 24, 2022 11:41 am

Rust underneath, or indeed anywhere.
Expensive to near impossible to fix.
If rusty run away!!

AA inspection will be a very good thing to do.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Tue May 24, 2022 3:32 pm

Damp in ns .locker area, cracks in windows and skylights, , check if fitted age and condition and security of  underslung gas tanks , check operation electrics  , heating , fridge , check  for underbody corrosion  repairs and mot advisory,  have a contingency fund   just in case , some owners spend money  to keep motorhomes looking prestine  and to hide rust ,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AngB Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi and thanks for the responses, most helpful.
Rust worries me. I will search but are there any known areas to concentrate on and prod a bit.
Thanks
AngB
AngB
AngB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue May 24, 2022 7:36 pm

If mine's anything to go by, most Pugs of that era are quite sound when it comes to rust. However the front crossmember that stiffens the front end and supports the radiator can get quite corroded after 17-18 years. However it's an easy fix for a garage to bolt a new one on, they only cost about £70.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down