The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES

+9
pjonesf1
CC
Eltel
Dbvwt
RML
Paramedic
harrysp
burlingtonboaby
pagetheoracle
13 posters

Go down

Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES Empty Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES

Post by pagetheoracle Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m still looking to buy my first AS but have changed tack somewhat in that I’ve ruled out the older vans although there are many good ones out there.
My plan now is to delve into my pension pot and buy a much newer AS and have been to the last 2 shows at the NEC to test layouts as forum members strongly advised last autumn. When I studied the depreciation in year 1 and 2 of running a Broadway or a Nuevo it became clear 2 years of ownership can cost between £15k and £20k. I accept the warranty is valuable so would only buy privately or through a dealer that would give a transferable balance of warranty at the point of sale. 
My question is what do forum members think pros and cons are of buying a 12 to 30 month old AS van are and is there any appetite for forum members thinking of selling , to sell to a private forum member rather than to a dealer or to part exchange? I’ve looked on A#[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and there are very few 2016-2018 vans to buy. Naturally, all thoughts and advice welcomed. Thankyou.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Auto-Sleeper : AS Malvern
Vehicle Year : New 2022

Back to top Go down

Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES Empty Re: Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:20 pm

I can only speak for my own experience , I purchased a nearly three year old Warwick duo from a forum member last month.
We are delighted with are purchase , the previous owners took the time to do a proper hand over on a local site.
We purchased our precious A/S vans from dealerships and paid the price of doing so,I'm sure other members have purchased privately from the forum and have been delighted with there purchase too.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES Empty Re: Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES

Post by harrysp Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:27 pm

You will have some lovely vans to choose from at that age. Make the usual checks, HPI e.g. I would also suggest you get a full damp check on anything you buy, please don’t assume it is damp free because it is relatively new. If you buy privately ask a local mobile fitter under the NCC banner who will do this for you for about £50. On that note, be aware the extended damp warranty beyond 3 years from AS is not transferable to second and successive owners. A dealer however should offer some additional damp warranty, and consumer protection - hopefully not needed. 

One of the pros of a nearly new van is that hopefully the previous owner will have dealt with all the snagging problems and warranty work. Others will know more than me about buying privately, as it’s not something we’ve done, and offer some advice.

Good luck with your search.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Our van was registered new in September 2013 from Dolphin Motorhomes and had only 2024 miles on the clock. The previous owners had part exchanged it after just two years because they couldn't manage with the french bed due to one of them suffering a mobility problem. Inside and out it presented like new as if straight from the showroom and complete with luxury pack, was priced at 46,000. We considered ourselves extremely fortunate to acquire this van, even the Whale filling hoses were still sealed in the bags. We received £30,000 part exchange to which the dealer gave us a year's full warranty, Fiamma cycle carrier at our request and a Cat 1 alarm supplied and fitted at cost price. We have been customers of Dolphin for all four of our vans such is our satisfaction with transactions and warranty work when needed. We received all the history of servicing and warranty work to correct minor issues etc. The fixed bed in the Broadway FB and the condition overall was the deciding factor although I will admit that the user payload of just 305kg on this 2013 model is a minus.

Last edited by Paramedic on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional sentence.)

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Being new to motor homes I’d not got the FB as top of the list on account of the fixed bed adding close to another metre in length. However, we’re moving from caravanning and rather like our island bed in that but accept it’s part of the compromise. It’s good to know there are deserving dealers worthy of praise and honest private vendors who see a private sale as something worth doing.  Finally, the Nuevo ES looks incredible given its only 5.7m long. I’m sure I will end up with either of these 2 models but the search goes on!
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 am

If anyone were to ask me about viewing a possible new purchase I would advise going to a big campsite and talk to owners. Viewing a van at a dealers doesn't give the full picture. Talking to owners they will usually tell you the drawbacks of their vans along with the things that made them buy it in the beginning. Also you will see it in use with beds made (?) and storage in use with everything needed to support motorhoming rather than empty and a salesman describing all the positives but none of the negatives.  I have been approached on 2 occasions from people looking to buy and have been only too pleased to show them around.  
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:11 am

Good advice there Rich. 
I’m sure I was a pain in the bum on many a campsite last year before I bought my van but I learned so much from actual owners.
Most people are pleased to show you their pride and joy, inviting you inside to have a good look round (don’t go barging in while they are having lunch etc..just be friendly and pick your moment to say hello!).
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 am

I’ll I also would agree with Rich comments.

I’m into my third season with Nuevo EK and still more than happy with my purchase.

I joined the Autosleepers Owners club where I have met may other Autosleepers Owners many of which are regulars on this forum.

If you have the opportunity to visit one of the Warner’s Motorhome Shows it may be a idea to make yourself known to Marshall of the Autosleepers section of the show.

I am sure they will be able to help and it is most likely that there will be a willing member amongst the group who will have a Motorhome of the type you are considering to purchase.

Unlike a salesman you will get a balenced opinion.

Hope it helps and good luck with your search your Motorhome purchase.

Eltel
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:44 pm

pagetheoracle wrote:Being new to motor homes I’d not got the FB as top of the list on account of the fixed bed adding close to another metre in length. However, we’re moving from caravanning and rather like our island bed in that but accept it’s part of the compromise. It’s good to know there are deserving dealers worthy of praise and honest private vendors who see a private sale as something worth doing.  Finally, the Nuevo ES looks incredible given its only 5.7m long. I’m sure I will end up with either of these 2 models but the search goes on!
We owned a 09 Nuevo Ek es for three years prior to 2014, although it's a compact wee van, I enjoyed the layout and sleeping above in the Luton cab, modern Nuevo Ek es vans should have more modern habitation equipment .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Personally if i had the money I would buy new simply because you know the entire history of the van, you would hope that buying a used van 3 or 4 yrs old that any issues would have come to light and been resolved prior to purchase but my experience says otherwise with each van requiring things putting right pretty much straight away which is blinking annoying when youve just shelled out amassive amount of money, at least with New you can get everything resolved or even reject the van if not happy, so if were in a position to buy new next time we will be doing so, pretty sure it wont be another Auto-Sleeper though sadly! (Unless they produce a model that actually meets our needs)

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:51 pm

That’s interesting CC, obviously your comments are based on experience but when I come to sell my van in say 3 or 4 years time, it will be 100% right..or there abouts. It’s what I’ve always believed is the right way to do things.
Maybe I’m just a bit fussy and obviously a bit naive as it’s my first proper Campvan (I’ve had campers/caravans but not so complex). Are second hand Motorhomes really sold/bought with so many faults?

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES Empty Cost saving

Post by pjonesf1 Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:10 pm

As you pointed out the loss on a brand new van is high in the early days. I visited a dealer in December 2017 and was offered 10% discount to buy a new Broadway but in the end I bought an 15 month old Broadway and saved 14K. 
Better in my pocket I think.
pjonesf1
pjonesf1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:22 pm

I know that it takes all sorts to make a world but I’ve always wanted to fix things whether on a newly purchased car or caravan (snag list on a new L#n*r caravan ran to 2 pages and the dealer I felt was getting fed up but we persevered) . I  also have mainly sold privately and have made sure my buyers have  not had any awkward surprises having taken delivery. I just felt that was fair and I guess it was to avoid embarrassment if someone came back to me on something. I think it depends on the individual and, as AS forum members have suggested a buyer should get out and talk to owners who will often given an honest and candid view. MH showrooms are often sterile or artificial environments that drive sales rather than customer satisfaction (an opinion that others might disagree with). I’d not thought of the damp test, I assumed that would be picked up in the annual service/ habitation inspection.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by pagetheoracle Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am

That’s great that you found a van to tick all your boxes right there in your neighbourhood . I too had a folding camper Pennine Sterling SE from Lowdhams and it got us off the ground and out of tents! I’m still looking for a Broadway or Nuevo given I’ve now retired but was hoping to buy private however, will  continue to keep an eye on D motorhomes. What puzzles me is that some of their stock spends a long time on the forecourt but they don’t discount to move it on. They seem rigid on pricing? It’s a lovely feeling picking up and pitching first time and I’m sure it will be a proud moment. Good luck and please feed back your experience.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES Empty Buying nearly new Broadway EK or Nuevo EK ES

Post by Eltel Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 pm

pagetheoracle wrote:I know that it takes all sorts to make a world but I’ve always wanted to fix things whether on a newly purchased car or caravan (snag list on a new L#n*r caravan ran to 2 pages and the dealer I felt was getting fed up but we persevered) . I  also have mainly sold privately and have made sure my buyers have  not had any awkward surprises having taken delivery. I just felt that was fair and I guess it was to avoid embarrassment if someone came back to me on something. I think it depends on the individual and, as AS forum members have suggested a buyer should get out and talk to owners who will often given an honest and candid view. MH showrooms are often sterile or artificial environments that drive sales rather than customer satisfaction (an opinion that others might disagree with). I’d not thought of the damp test, I assumed that would be picked up in the annual service/ habitation inspection.
Hi Good to see you have found a motorhome that ticks all the boxes.

I purchased a new Autosleeper from Derby Motorhomes and find them a first class company to deal with.

I feel you have made a good choice of motorhome and your local dealer.

Happy Motorhoming 

Don’t forget to join the Autosleepers Owners Club and meet, rally and chat with likeminded Autosleepers Owners 

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:01 pm

I've just bought a Nuevo EK from West Midland Caravans and Motorhomes. It is a 2015 model and had 1,954 miles on the clock. Full service history every 450 miles! and three MOTs - they always give a full service and new MOT with each one sold. It was £39,900 and is like new inside and out. With crockery, unused hob and oven, unused toilet, unused microwave (which will remain so while we own it), EHU cable in original bag and so on. Only things I need to do are to chuck the Whale pump in the bin where it belongs, fit a Shurflo and get the engine a bit more powerful. I am searching the forum to try to find out exactly what engine it has - I suspect it is a Ford engine because there is a Ford label on a wiring loom connecting to the engine.
I'll do a few other trivial things like fit an IKEA waste bin in the door (Part No. 401.883.40) and IKEA shower bits holder next to the kitchen sink lid, to hold dishcloth, Fairy Liquid, tubs of free tomato sauce / mustard / mayonnaise etc that you pick up from cafes. I'll Waxoyl it when the weather picks up - you have to have it very warm to be able to spray Waxoyl into the box section chassis.

Oh by the way I sent an idea for it to MMM and they are going to publish it in the Summer edition. . . They even asked for my bank details so they can pay me! Woopee! allthumbz
Do they come with silicone collapsible kitchen sink basins as standard? Seems so, because it fits perfectly.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Congratulations, it appears you have something of a bargain. I bought a 67 plate Broadway with 5k on the clock and it is beautiful. I didn't buy new but saved myself around £17k on a new one but did put the £120 into transferring the warranty over. There are bargains to be had if you are willing to walk a away from an offer you don't like. Some stock has been sat on forecourts for 6 to 9 months. Make them an offer..the worst they can say is no! Superb buy gassy gassy.. sensible upgrades suggested.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 pm

One very valid reason for buying second hand is that you pay 20% VAT on a new vehicle whereas you pay 0% VAT on a used one. In theory if the dealer makes the same £ profit on a used one as a new one that would make any used vehicle 20% cheaper. But as my dad said when I first went abroad as a young lad, "remember. Duty Free is not the same as Profit Free". However it does seem that for various reasons - illness preventing usage of new motorhome / I didn't like the layout once we started to use it / it's too big / it's too small and so on, that there are lots and lots of hardly used motorhomes out there at very significant discounts from the new price.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:41 pm

We bought a new Broadway FB in June 2013. In the first year we covered around 7000 miles, we were both still at work, and had a great long list of things that went wrong or fell off.  AS had the van back for 2 weeks to fix a list of stuff, including a crease in the body that had appeared between the two fridge vents. I reassembled ( and glued) the kitchen waste pipe, twice, when it fell apart and flooded the carpet.
After that, it was great, and we went on to do around 22000 miles in it, till we sold it in 2016. 
My advice, would be to buy one at least a year old. That way, things have been fixed and you still have some of the manufacturers ( and base vehicle ) warranty.
Would I buy another new van? Well, yes, we did, but not an Autosleeper, and 8 months and 9000 miles in, nothing has broken, fell off or needed fixing.

( with regard to the payload, we found 300kg in our Broadway to be too low, so had the van uprated to 3700kg after a couple of months )

Last edited by ajrm on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added payload info)

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:27 am

Ajrm, I whole heartily concur with your view. I am new to motorhoming and, having recently retired , wanted to maximise ‘bang for buck. Since May 2019 we have done 2 trips away in our 67 plate Broadway that had 5k on the clock at purchase.It is truly superb and everything works apart from an led light that I will get fixed at service time. I am quite proud of the fact that I saved more than £17k on my first motorhome and it still has the ‘new’ smell. The previous owner had done a fine job ironing out any issues in the first 18 months of its life although I believe there wasn’t much to do. I may buy brand new in the future but would have to had won the lottery... nearly new for me every time!
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Buying a used van privately can save shed loads of money and probably has the advantage of the teething problems put in the past. But beware, if buying from a dealer their three year warranty tapers down to just £500 in the third year which does not go far. They don't tell you this in their adverts !
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down