Thinking of buying a nuevo ek

Go down

Thinking of buying a nuevo ek Empty Thinking of buying a nuevo ek

Post by arrand on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:32 am

Newbie here seeking advice, having been happy campers for many years this years miserable wet weather has been the final straw for us and we have decided to bring forward the purchase of a motorhome a couple of years.

Having already spent the last year trawling motorhome dealers we have a rough idea of what we want, a 2006 nuevo ek has come up for sale near to us and it seems to suit our needs as a starter van.

My question is what things do i need to look out for when viewing this motorhome, i must admit i am more than a little anxious at spending £19000 on something i know so little about, having read many reviews from people who love there nuevo and how well built they are, there are also quite a lot of people who say they have had nothing but trouble and the workmanship is woeful.

So if anybody could give me a few pointers on any problems i should look out for i would be very grateful

Regards
Richard
arrand
arrand

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thinking of buying a nuevo ek Empty Re: Thinking of buying a nuevo ek

Post by steamdrivenandy on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:40 am

Get an independent AWS tech to look the van over on your behalf. If there are basics wrong they should be able to tell you. 
Check the van's MOT test results history on the government website. Make sure all advisories have been sorted and if there are lots of mentions of corrosion then walk away. Also walk away if there are mentions saying that items could not be viewed due to being covered n grease. A trick tried by many to hide issues.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Anyone who thinks the workmanship of an Auto Sleeper is woeful had better not go near any other British make, nor any French make (I have lots of experience of these) and nor, so I hear of any Italian make. I think A/S are the best of the British, and I have lost count of the number of caravans and campers I have owned since 1973. The external sealant on the Nuevo is done neatly and properly. Mine is nearly five years old and the sealant shows no signs of deterioration or splitting.
AutoSleepers are not perfect by any means - my Nuevo had the sink drain running uphill, (like two French motorhomes I owned) and a cupboard door has its wood grain plastic covering shrinking away.
There are also design faults - who in their right mind would design a caravan or camper with light switches on the ceiling? Lots of caravan & camper designers, that's who, including AutoSleepers. It's much more important to be able to switch the radio on via your phone, and other nonsensical showroom attention grabbing gimmiks. I am actually very impressed with the way the wiring in my Nuevo is fixed to the panels at regular intervals and even behind screwed-on panels it is neatly held in place. I have seen shoddy wiring in many new vehicles at the NEC shows. Under the chassis all the plugs and sockets are not only correctly sized and fitted, but are insulated from water spray. Again, unlike a lot of other makes.
gassygassy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thinking of buying a nuevo ek Empty Thinking of Buying a Nuevo.

Post by mcalid on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:15 am

We were in the same situation as you although it was the cramped space in a Topaz which led us to move to the Nuevo.
We have never regretted it and we love 'Norman' and travel every weekend in Summer and often in Winter when weather permits.
I can't advise as to the mechanics of them but if it has a maintenance and MOT record then you can't go far wrong.
We did have a problem with the spare wheel cradle winder underneath the body which proved costly and it would be wise to check that it works before setting out but apart from that with regular maintenance we have had no problems.
For a couple this is a wonderful van with loads of storage and comfort with the advantage of easy parking in Supermarkets etc. and cheap fares on ferries.
I have had very valuable advice on this site when I needed it so use it to answer any questions you have.
mcalid
mcalid

Male

Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 am

We've had our Nuevo EK for almost ten years now and are very satisfied with it. Coming from previously owning two PVC's we find it so light and airy in comparison.
Everything to do with the conversion works perfectly and it's never let us down in any department.
 Ok it doesn't have lots of the gizmos that more modern versions have (which can easily be lived without), but as has been said, they seem to be the things that fail and get owners complaining.
Overall it's a brilliant short van that's taken us to all corners of Europe, it's main plus point is that with a bit of care it can be parked in most average sized car parking spaces.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:16 am

Don't forget the ES version (pre 2012). Take out the back seat headrests and it will offer the same seating as the EK with extra storage above the cab.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 72

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by easylifer on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:56 pm

There is a 2008 advertised for sale on this site in the 'Autosleepers for sale' section (19000).
easylifer
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by arrand on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:46 am

Many thanks for all your replies, going for a viewing tomorrow will update if needs be
arrand
arrand

Male

Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum