The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Avtex TV shared knowledge

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Avtex TV shared knowledge - Page 2 Empty Re: Avtex TV shared knowledge

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:39 am

K & S wrote:Got it thanks Chris, will try this as. I can’t recall precisely what Avtex said about my Humax box
but certainly left me with the impression that it wasn’t comparable with this tv.
 As an old eastern 9refuse to mention the R word) proverb says, "trust but verify"

Don’t for get that you will have to retune the humax box same as tv when you move areas in the van up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:09 am

Dbvwt wrote:Sad to hear but I got mine on a discount and primarily just use it as a standard TV so not a massive problem. Picture quality and weight is so much better than my old Avtex.
No complaints with the picture quality. I mostly use it to watch local free to air broadcast content in Europe anyway, or at least it's on in the background in the evenings. It's worked in almost all countries so far. Not Switzerland though - they switched off their broadcast network in 2019, now they have cable and satellite only. And there was another place where everything was encrypted and it would have required a CI access module to be purchased and plugged into the TV, which I didn't try. Might have been Austria.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:33 pm

Up till last November I'd had three Avtex TV's and was very pleased with them and with the excellent customer service.

Latterly we'd been streaming most TV via an Amazon Firestick so when changing the van bought an Avtex smart TV the idea being to get down to one remote.  The new tv is very disapointing and I wish I'd stuck with the Firestick - in fact on occasion I am using it with the smart TV!!!!

The Avtex can only store the login details for one wife system at a time so every time you want to swap the device you are streaming through you have to got through the clumsy logon process and there is a very limited number of free streaming apps available most having to be accessed via the web browser that is far from being slick in its operation.

Telephone support for the smart tv has been lack lustre and the attitude of the Avtex staff on their stall at the February NEC show was disgusting - take it or leave it.  

Avtex are no longer my one stop choice for mobile TV.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:10 pm

I can’t disagree with any of that Peter, I assume you have a similar model to mine. As v8 has mentioned, there is a new range which has many more apps, the earlier smart models seem to have been rushed out then dropped just as quickly.
I am still very happy with mine but only because I bought it primarily for normal freeview channels and because Cello didn’t do a model that fitted my limited space.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:23 pm

The problem we have, which is not likely to change now, is that 12V compatibility was already niche, and a small screen is now even more so. You can buy a 50" 230V smart TV for less than the current 19.5" Avtex smart TV costs. But of course, it's no good to us. So we are stuck with a limited number of products from a handful of very small manufacturers, who can easily go bust, or discontinue support on a whim at any time. And small company customer service is often very poor. The Fire Stick solves a lot of problems, but shoudn't be necessary.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:26 pm

I always thought that Avtex were overpriced and would never buy one, our Cello lasted has lasted over 10mm years and is now in the spare bedroom and I bought a Falcon tv for the van as it has duel usb sockets allowing me to power the firestick and the USB thumb drive for recording too, it also has one button retune of the channels when moving areas, fully recommended

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2