The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cab blinds

+4
Boggie
rventhusiast
gemdeco
CJ1949
8 posters

Go down

Cab blinds Empty Cab blinds

Post by CJ1949 Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:15 am

I was disappointed that my 2019 Bourton did not have the same fitted cab blinds as my previous 2016 model.

It seems now that Autosleeper finally can now supply and fit the cassette type cab blinds as a cost option with new models, instead of the loose heavy blinds sort they been providing the last few years.

Wonder have anybody contacted the factory for a price for a delayed refit ?
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Cab blinds Empty Re: Cab blinds

Post by gemdeco Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:00 am

Hi I understood the fitment was just delayed, I presume you have a new shape Mercedes Cab see other posts on the subject you should not have to pay for the cab blinds
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:32 am

I understand that Hymer paid to have exclusivity on the new blind for the new shape Mercedes for the first one or two years? But that some who bought the new model negotiated with their dealer that it would be retrofitted as part of the deal.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Cab blinds Empty Bourton Cab Blinds

Post by Boggie Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:26 am

Hi CJ1949.
I am in the process of buying a 2019 Bourton and as part of the deal I asked the Independent dealer 
to fit a set of REMIS cab blnds. The correct one-piece set for the 2019 model. This was at the beginning of November 
and we are still waiting for them to arrive Cost is £499 fitted
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Back to top Go down

Cab blinds Empty Cab blinds

Post by CJ1949 Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:55 am

Thanks for that information.
 I will contact my dealer, Derby Motorhomes to see if they are able to do the same.
I know they are not everybody's favourite and do make a noise when travelling but are much more convenient and easy to use. They are also good to help to keep sun out during times if we leave the dog.
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:46 am

Why would you want interior cab blinds? The frames reduce vision of the road when driving. We have used ours a couple of times in five years; both times we've had to sit waiting for the screen to clear for five minutes (even with the Mercedes diesel-powered heater on). I suggest a Silver Screen exterior cover (not the Taylormade one) a minute to fit, a minute to remove.... just before you drive off.

I'm going to remove ours and chuck in the bin thanks to a blind-spot "event" on a roundabout the other day.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:10 am

Pete Taylor wrote:Why would you want interior cab blinds? The frames reduce vision of the road when driving. We have used ours a couple of times in five years; both times we've had to sit waiting for the screen to clear for five minutes (even with the Mercedes diesel-powered heater on). I suggest a Silver Screen exterior cover (not the Taylormade one) a minute to fit, a minute to remove.... just before you drive off.

I'm going to remove ours and chuck in the bin thanks to a blind-spot "event" on a roundabout the other day.
Why not do as we do, Pete, and store them in the loft. You can refit them if you sell the van and give the dealer one less reason to reduce the p/ex allowance.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Cab blinds Empty Why interior blinds?

Post by CJ1949 Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Internal V external blinds?
It depends on personal preferences -I've got fed up with going out its rain & cold -then trying to store the heavy soaking cover-- where? under the bed in my Bourton? 
We also never go 'camping' in the snow or real cold -far too old now.
You also need to be 6ft to properly fit external heavy cover supplied and wife only 5ft!

When its really hot & sunny so easy to draw internal blinds even when waiting outside supermarket!.
It also easier to draw internals especially if we need to leave dog even in spring type weather -and she cannot then be disturbed.

So I'm hoping to get the internal ones fitted like before so I can leave the bulky outside one in my garage
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Back to top Go down

Cab blinds Empty In total agreement.

Post by ourannie Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:26 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:Why would you want interior cab blinds? The frames reduce vision of the road when driving. We have used ours a couple of times in five years; both times we've had to sit waiting for the screen to clear for five minutes (even with the Mercedes diesel-powered heater on). I suggest a Silver Screen exterior cover (not the Taylormade one) a minute to fit, a minute to remove.... just before you drive off.

Our 2019 Bourton came with no blinds just the external blinds supplied which are rubbish, luckily had some Taylor Made ones from our Bailey which are slightly bigger but do the job adequately in the winter months .I made an internal curtain for the summer which is so easy put up and taken down in the morning much quicker than opening ftted internal blinds and as you have said fitted ones do reduce the Vision and rattle, we are more than happy without them.
ourannie
ourannie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:11 am

CJ1949 wrote:Internal V external blinds?
It depends on personal preferences -I've got fed up with going out its rain & cold -then trying to store the heavy soaking cover-- where? under the bed in my Bourton? 
We also never go 'camping' in the snow or real cold -far too old now.
You also need to be 6ft to properly fit external heavy cover supplied and wife only 5ft!

When its really hot & sunny so easy to draw internal blinds even when waiting outside supermarket!.
It also easier to draw internals especially if we need to leave dog even in spring type weather -and she cannot then be disturbed.

So I'm hoping to get the internal ones fitted like before so I can leave the bulky outside one in my garage
...and the layout of the van...with vans that have rear lounges and the cab becomes a dumping ground for kit that doesnt easily fit anywhere else, keeping it warm but sacrificing the view might be acceptable. throw in the fact that in many of these vans the drivers seat doesnt swivel (or swivel fully) and the desire to spend time at that end of the van (the cold end?) reduces.
OTOH, we have a front lounge where the swivelled cab seats are an integral part of the seating, so 'blacking out' a large part of the view with an external screen doesnt appeal...despite the front folding 'flap' our large side windows would be permanently darkened.
re: cold or condensation, we usually go to Spain in the van for the winter so its not generally an issue...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 am

Why not Taylormade blinds?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:21 am

groundhog wrote:

Because I bought Taylormade when we got the Merc; the fit was awful, they puffed up quite thick and one side blew off the second time we used it! Having had a SilverScreen blind on our Topaz I knew what the fit and quality was like so bought one for the Sprinter- perfect! 

I must have been bedazzled with the Taylormade name!  hugegrins

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:43 am

Pete Taylor wrote:
groundhog wrote:

Because I bought Taylormade when we got the Merc; the fit was awful, they puffed up quite thick and one side blew off the second time we used it! Having had a SilverScreen blind on our Topaz I knew what the fit and quality was like so bought one for the Sprinter- perfect! 

I must have been bedazzled with the Taylormade name!  hugegrins

That's unusual. We had Taylormade for our 2011 Sprinter and they fitted like a glove. The same set are a good enough fit for the Boxer/Fiat too which saved buying more. up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Cab blinds Empty Remis Cab Blinds

Post by Boggie Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 am

I also have a 2019 model, a Bourton. Autosleeper quoted me £250 plus vat for a set not including installation, which an owner should be able to do themselves.
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:27 am

Hi
     I think Auto Sleeper are way out of line, The earlier models all had Remis Blinds fitted as standard and now after the supply problem has been solved, they now want to charge for them, I suggest you double check the earlier posts on the forum.
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down