The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermal Blinds

+6
-mojo-
Cymro
Machloop
Paulmold
Gromit
powerscape
10 posters

Go down

Thermal Blinds Empty Thermal Blinds

Post by powerscape Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am

I am looking for a set of thermal blinds to fit my T4 AS, I have looked at the usual places and can find plenty, but just wondered if anyone can recommend a good supplier and type?

Cheers

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Thermal Blinds Empty Re: Thermal Blinds

Post by Gromit Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Definitely external.

Beyond that I can't offer much help as I know nothing about T4s.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 am

Only really two brands - Silver Screens and Taylor-made.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Gromit wrote:Definitely external.
Unless a wild camper, then internal are often preferred.

camper

Machloop
Machloop

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 pm

I had a T4-based A-S for 14 years, and bought an internal SiverScreens for it. The advantage of internal is that you can put it up and take it down when it's wet outside without getting wet. But that said, we freuqently found that because of the slope of the windscreen inside the van, the screens - which were held to the glass by some suckers - tended to drape away from the glass apart from near the suckers. And so heavy condensation would often build up by morning - nullifying the advantage of internals insofar as it and you still get wet, and you have to wipe dry the windscreen.
I'd go External unless you do a lot of iffy wild camping and might need to make a quick departure on security grounds.
As to makes, try TaylorMade or SilverScreens.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by powerscape Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:49 pm

thanks all much appreciated, I had only considered internal until your posts so now to have a look at external as they do sounds like a good idea for our style of camping.

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm

I bought my external thermal screen (for a T5) from Just Kampers - I'm happy enough with it. It may not be quite up to the quality of the two brands named above, but it was less than a third of the price. They make one for the T4 at (just) under £50.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Just a point here, I can't comment on external as we've never had one but the internals are useless as 'thermal' anything. They cover your windows and stop folks looking in and are a doddle to fit/remove but in the winter they offer no protection against cold glass.

camper

Machloop
Machloop

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:15 am

I don't go out in winter but find internals ok for me.  I can feel a huge temperature difference in the cab immediately after fitting them - but they are not as effective as external - just a lot easier to store.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 am

At the risk of prolonging this thread (which has been covered in earlier threads) may I just add one small point which I don't think has been mentioned directly?
The external screen cover comes as one piece; it covers the windscreen and both doors, and is usually in a thicker material than the inside cover. The internal screen normally comes in three separate sections.
It follows that - particularly if you are attempting to fit an external screen without assistance - it is more awkward to fit an external screen. The availability of assistance may be a factor to be taken into account when choosing.

Assuming you can get some help, or that you don't mind a bit of a struggle, then because externals will insulate better, I'd go for them.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 am

Cymro wrote: The external screen cover comes as one piece;
With the greatest respect for the gentleman from Welsh Wales wave , most of them come in three pieces, joined by industrial Velcro which effectively means you can treat them as being in one piece.

I'm tall enough wrestle with it in one piece, but a somewhat vertically challenged friend "tears" his apart and fits the side pieces onto the doors first, then attaches the centre piece over the windscreen using the Velcro.

Frankly I think it's easier keeping it in one piece, but I've not been his height since I was 10 snigger , so I take his word that his method is easier. Try it and see for yourself, is the answer I guess.

Another point worth reinforcing - internal screens are virtually useless at preventing condensation. To do this the screen has to be kept warm, and they obviously can't do that from the inside.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 am

You're correct, Gromit - and thank you for reminding me that my external screen cover does in fact comprise three sections. Always having treated the external as if it were one-piece, I'd overlooked that it could be dismantled and fitted piece by piece. I agree that it's probably less bother to fit it as one piece, and luckily I'm able to do so, albeit that it's easier if my lovely assistant can help!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 am

Just to add my bit, the external Silver Screen comes apart in 4 pieces..., there's a very handy mesh panel under the main screen cover so you can roll down the outer to let daylight in, but folk outside still can't see in. But this would make it a pain to put up in pieces, I've never yet taken it apart. I agree internal screens just seem to add to condensation, trapping it even when the sun is on the screen. So I've stopped carrying mine, when on aires etc it's easier to draw the screen curtains, being a few inches from the screen they don't trap moisture.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 am

bikeralw wrote:Just to add my bit, the external Silver Screen comes apart in 4 pieces..., there's a very handy mesh panel under the main screen cover so you can roll down the outer to let daylight in, but folk outside still can't see in.
Al.
You've obviously got a posh one Al. Whistle1

We're on show to the world and his wife, as ours doesn't have the mesh screen. Can't really see the point of it, since someone would have to be eight feet tall to see very much over the half-lowered front screen! shrugg

I think the message for the OP is to look around, as there are several options to choose from.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:02 pm

I have a VW T4 also I have exterior Silver Screens, I have no problem with fitting or removing them, ON MY OWN and I am a 5`2" female. I have had mine for approx. 5 years and they are as good as new, fit like a glove, easy to store even when wet in its own waterproof bag.    Highly recommended.

I had them on a Topaz and now a Clubman both VW T4`s Hope this is of some help.

Keeps the van cosy in the cab area with no condensation plus keeps the windscreen clean.

Last edited by daisy mae on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : last sentence.)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Very true, Margaret! We had them on our Clubman and now on our Majestic 120.

Andy
AndyPK
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down