The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre pressures

+5
Richard G
marconi
Paulmold
Tigerbadge
Adam & Emily
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tyre pressures  Empty Tyre pressures

Post by Adam & Emily Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:35 am

Hi all. I have a 2007 Nuevo ES fitted with Michelin camper tyres. I’ve spent hours googling but can’t seem to find what pressure I should inflate the tyres to? Anyone have this model who could give me a steer?
Adam & Emily
Adam & Emily

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures  Empty Re: Tyre pressures

Post by Tigerbadge Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am

Lots of recent post on this, all depends on what tyres you have fitted ie c or cp.
I use what’s stamped on passenger door frame.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Adam & Emily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:46 am

Umpteen threads on the subject. Just put the word tyre in search box at top and you'll get loads. Otherwise.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam & Emily Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks both. They are Michelin agilis CP. I hadn’t noticed the sticker on the passenger door but it says 59.3 front and 65 rear so I guess that’s where to start. 👍🏻
Adam & Emily
Adam & Emily

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Adam & Emily wrote:Thanks both. They are Michelin agilis CP. I hadn’t noticed the sticker on the passenger door but it says 59.3 front and 65 rear so I guess that’s where to start. 👍🏻

That interesting, my 2019 Nuevo has much higher pressures on the door pillar which are wrong.

Your pressures sound a good starting point, but there is no substitute for putting the loaded 'van on a weighbridge and measuring the front and rear axles, then consulting the Manufactures chart for the tyre size and type. Emailing the details to the manufacturer brings a rapid response from Continental Tyres.

Would you mind posting a photo of your door plate and tyre pressure label.

Here are mine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
marconi
marconi

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam & Emily Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hi Marconi, thanks I’ll do that. Here is the photo
Adam & Emily
Adam & Emily

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:49 pm

I would imagine that a 2007 Nuevo would have been fitted with C tyres originally so the pressures on the plate would relate to those. This is a prime example of what I was saying earlier in the thread.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks Adam.

That's great. There is a vast difference there in the pressures. The tyre pressure label was most likely fitted pre conversion. neither label states whether it was intended for C or CP Tyres.

At this point Paul's message pinged up thanks Paul. Yes I was typing that at the time.  up!

Adam could I trouble you for a picture of the A-S Stage2 Plate.

In fact any Nuevo owner 2006 to 2018. Show Us Your Plate.  smile! smile! smile! Please, plus Tyre Pressure Label. In the interest of research.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam & Emily Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Yes I’ll ping a picture over tomorrow, and have heeded advice about weighbridge and trying tyre manufacturer. I would say this is my 1st motorhome and just want to do the right (safe) thing. I get people take different stuff on trips and some journey with water whilst others don’t etc, but you would think there would be some sort of guidance of reasonable levels. I’ve literally no idea And have only maintained cars before which seems far simpler.
Adam & Emily
Adam & Emily

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Adam & Emily wrote:Yes I’ll ping a picture over tomorrow, and have heeded advice about weighbridge and trying tyre manufacturer. I would say this is my 1st motorhome and just want to do the right (safe) thing. I get people take different stuff on trips and some journey with water whilst others don’t etc, but you would think there would be some sort of guidance of reasonable levels. I’ve literally no idea And have only maintained cars before which seems far simpler.
Thanks for that.

Yes its bound to be confusing at first. I feel for new owners who have a pressure label like mine and TPMS which is set to those grossly over inflated, unsafe  levels and we can't drop the pressure without triggering the Tyre Pressure Management.

You will soon get the hang of it and the other threads mentioned will be helpful.

Particularly in the summer months and on the Continent you will get Ministry Checks set up. If you have loaded the van for trips measured it on a Weighbridge and set Tyre Pressures accordingly you can smile confidently at the Policeman, and the Gendarmes in France. They just love Friday and Saturday evenings when Campers are arriving.
On one occasion, a Friday at dusk I was filling with water at a tap outside a French Campsite, I wasn't going in. Two Cars, a coach full of Gendarmes and Truck full of gear and overall wearers blocked the Campsite entrance and my exit. Every Caravan and Motorhome that arrived was quickly checked and the majority sent off to a testing station some way away.
Every time I looked, the coach driving Gendarme was looking at me. I decided to try confidence on him, when I had finished I gave him two thumbs up and in my French, "Its OK you needn't move, I am travelling to Xxxxx, I will reverse out". He gave me thumbs up and a smile. No one wants that when you have to get somewhere and set up in the evening, even when you know you are legal.

This year I was Breatherlised at a road block after Sunday lunch, another favorite outing for the Bold Gendarmes.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:41 pm

I never found the "right " pressures after my post about 2 months ago. My TPMS light is always on, telling me low pressures at 79.5psi.........
Must sort it out sometime soon.
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Molly3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:05 am

Michelin agiles cp  tyres are 5.5 bar , fronts can be reduced  to 4.5  . recommend to have metal valves  fitted . According  to Michelin
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:31 am

Richard G wrote:I never found the "right " pressures after my post about 2 months ago. My TPMS light is always on, telling me low pressures at 79.5psi.........
 I am working on solving this problem myself, would you mind posting a picture of your door pillar Tyre Label and Weight  plate. That will give us a 2015 model situation.

Molly3
Plus one, a picture of you door pillar labels on the 2014 Nuevo would be a great help.

For a full picture I would like to see a label from each year 2006 to present day 2021 model. Plus please include do you have Peugeot TPMS, YES / NO.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 am

Richard G wrote:I never found the "right " pressures after my post about 2 months ago. My TPMS light is always on, telling me low pressures at 79.5psi.........
 I have the same van, same year. After the necessary weighing of exam axle mass (with bikes on the rear etc), and after consulting the Continental tyres' chart, I run at 53:75. I had my TPMS trigger points lowered accordingly (to something like 50:70 if I recall correctly). It works for me.

If your TPMS is triggered at 79.5psi there's something wrong with the TMPS, I think. 
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:53 pm

My 2014  nuevo same as first photo 5.5  5.0 bar GVW 3300 klg  .as it is  pre 2015  it has been run  at these  pressures from  new and the  tyre ware  is perfect  ,I have no reason  to suspect  auto sleeper  TP are incorrect  .using CP tyres as OE .

Last edited by Molly3 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Alf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Molly3 wrote:My 2014  nuevo same as first photo 5.5  5.0 bar GVW 3300 klg  .as it is  post 2015  it has been run  at these  pressures from  new and the  tyre ware  is perfect  ,I have no reason  to suspect  auto sleeper  TP are incorrect  .using CP tyres as OE .

That's interesting, I didn't realise that the GVW's varied. This is the sort of thing I am trying to get the understanding on.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:18 pm

I agree with Cymro.  Your TPMS should not trigger at 5.5 bar.  It sounds as though your TPMS warning light is on because it is not receiving a signal from one or more of your wheel sensors due perhaps to a flat sensor battery or there is some other fault on it.  The DVSA has recently clarified for me that a factory fitted TPMS must be in working order to pass a MOT but if the light is on only because the TPMS has been triggered due to a low tyre pressure, it wont fail.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Adam & Emily wrote:Hi all. I have a 2007 Nuevo ES fitted with Michelin camper tyres. I’ve spent hours googling but can’t seem to find what pressure I should inflate the tyres to? Anyone have this model who could give me a steer?
As Paul has pointed out the tyre pressure label on your 2007 Nuevo is for a C tyre.  A Michelin camper tyre is a CP tyre.  You must not run your CP tyres at the C tyre pressures on your label as they could be under-inflated which is dangerous.  As you don't have a factory fitted TPMS that prevents you from using lower pressures you can measure your fully loaded axle masses on a Weighbridge and set the tyre pressures to the levels recommended by Michelin for those masses.  The maximum a front CP tyre should be is 4.75 bar and that's when the tyre is carrying it maximum load of 1030 kg which your front tyres will definitely not be.  If it was a Continental or Pirelli CP tyre they would recommend 3.5 bar or less for your front tyre.  Michelin don't seem to go as low as that, they say because their tyres are made from different materials.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam & Emily Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:43 pm

Cheers Caraman. Yes, I’m going to do a weighbridge job and thanks for responding. It’s a helluva a faff though. I’m even going to have to buy a full crate of beer to mimic trips away 😂
Adam & Emily
Adam & Emily

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:02 pm

From Michelin  customer  service p[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:34 pm

In May 20 Michelin stated:

The front tyres however can be adjusted down to a pressure of 65 PSI (4,5 bar) for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance. You start at this value and you can lower up to a minimum of 50 PSI (3,75 bar) depending on what feels more comfortable to you.

Subsequently they have removed the last sentence.  This is in stark contrast to Pirelli and Continental who only recommend lowering the pressure if the axle mass reduces - Pirelli as far as 3.5 bar and Continental 3.0 bar.  Continental's figures are identical's to the ETRTO's figures.  

Lowering a tyre's pressure will make for a softer and therefore more comfortable ride but this is not the reason for reducing a tyre's pressure.  So I have some difficulty with Michelin's approach.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Molly3 wrote:My 2014  nuevo same as first photo 5.5  5.0 bar GVW 3300 klg  .as it is  pre 2015  it has been run  at these  pressures from  new and the  tyre ware  is perfect  ,I have no reason  to suspect  auto sleeper  TP are incorrect  .using CP tyres as OE .
The tyre pressure label on your Nuevo was placed there by Peugeot as part of the unconverted vehicle's Stage 1 Type Approval which was granted by Italy.  A-S has had nothing to do with it or the tyre pressures and nor did the UK's VCA when it granted A-S Stage 2 Type Approval for the converted vehicle in 2007.  The Peugeot pressures of 5.0 bar front and 5.5 bar rear are supposed to be for when the unconverted vehicle is loaded to its axle MTPLMs which should be 1750 kg front & 1900 kg rear if the GVW is 3300 kg.  The DVSA has stated: the tyre manufacturer is best placed to suggest what pressures are acceptable and these should not be exceeded unless on specific advice from them.”  You really need to check with your tyre manufacturer to find out from them what tyre pressures you should be using for the converted vehicle's axle masses which can't exceed 1400 kg at the front if the rear axle MTPLM of 1900 kg and vehicle's GVW are not to be exceeded.  When you lower your front tyre pressures you should find an improvement in road handling and front wheel traction.  Braking distances and tyre wear should also reduce and there will be in improvement in comfort.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:28 pm

Cymro wrote:
 I have the same van, same year. After the necessary weighing of exam axle mass (with bikes on the rear etc), and after consulting the Continental tyres' chart, I run at 53:75. I had my TPMS trigger points lowered accordingly (to something like 50:70 if I recall correctly). It works for me.

If your TPMS is triggered at 79.5psi there's something wrong with the TMPS, I think. 
Cymro
How do you adjust the TPMS trigger points?
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 am

Richard G: Whether it's possible to change the TPMS trigger points varies by make of base vehicle. I think (but Forum member owners will no doubt confirm or correct me) that Mercedes and VW base vehicles which have TPMS (i.e. more recent models) can have their trigger points reset by their owners.

But that's not so for Peugeot and Fiat. They can only be set by a dealer doing so. (Again, I don't know, but can an owner with the right computer equipment do it?).

But of late it's not been as simple as just asking a Peugeot dealer to reset them, and paying (about £45 currently, I beleive). In 2015, my Peugeot dealer did it after I signed a disclaimer as to potenmtial consequences. These days, I know that some Forum Members have had more hassle, and that dealers have refused to reset. That has meant that owners have had to drive with front pressures set far too high for safety, to avoid triggering their TPMS.

Thanks to the efforts of one Forum Member especially, I understand that significant progress is being made, with the assistance of Continental, in persuading Peugeot to permit once more owners to have their TPMS adjusted. The matter is evolving.

Meanwhile, given that your TPMS triggers at 79 psi (which means that your tryres must be running at over 80psi) I'd take it to a Peugeot dealer now for checking / resetting.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie D Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:57 am

Our local Peugeot dealer changed the TPMS on our 2017 Neuevo for £20. I did not have to sign a disclaimer for the reset.
Jamie D
Jamie D

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo LT
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next