The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre Pressures

+13
roli
Suppersready
bikeralw
Paulmold
IanH
Molly3
inspiredron
TeamRienza
Caraman
Kemerton-bath
PLOUGHLIN
Cymro
jwells
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tyre Pressures Empty Tyre Pressures

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:46 pm

I notice that the rear tyres on my Nuevo have 80 psi stamped on them. This is very high to what I am used to.

I have pumped mine up to 66 psi.

What pressure do people on here usually run at
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by jwells Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:08 pm

That all depends on your axle weight!
jwells
jwells

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK ES LT
Vehicle Year : ,2013

Back to top Go down

Post by jwells Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is found useful by many motorhome owners.
jwells
jwells

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:31 pm

So the Question was... What pressures do you on here usually run. I know about the axel weight but I would like to see a spread of pressures and if there is much variance.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:15 pm

Bigplumbs: honestly, there is no substitute for this: when the van is loaded, weigh the mass on each axle; consult the manufacturer's table for your tyres. 

In my case, with a fully loaded Nuevo ES (the 4 berth) with e-bikes on the rear, and with Continental Vanco CP tyres (not C) I run at 53psi / 75 psi. 

Please search the Forum for the threads on tyre pressures.  Personally, I find the contributions by Caraman to be authoritative and convincing.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

jwells and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:30 pm

Cymro wrote:

53psi / 75 psi. 

Cymro

So we have one answer to assess the range.

I don't want to get into another argument but I personally (My choice) am not going to go out and weigh my van...... Just like many many other people don't. If others want to that is up to them. 

All I asked was what tyre pressures individuals run
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:59 pm

Bigplumbs wrote:

I suggest that you should therefore ask:

What tyre pressures do other 2004 Nuevo owners use, if they have the same make and type of tyres, and the same vehicle mass when loaded, as Bigblumbs?  [What are those ?]

Compare like with like.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:34 pm

Cymro wrote:
Bigplumbs wrote:

I suggest that you should therefore ask:

What tyre pressures do other 2004 Nuevo owners use, if they have the same make and type of tyres, and the same vehicle mass when loaded, as Bigblumbs?  [What are those ?]

Compare like with like.

I started the thread and asked the question I wanted the answer to. It is very simple. Everything does not need to be complicated. Incredible that you think you should tell me what question I should ask
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:25 pm

Ignore the 80psi, it is a max value mandated by the USA.

Mine are 3.5 bar front, 4.5 bar rear.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:00 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Ignore the 80psi, it is a max value mandated by the USA.

Mine are 3.5 bar front, 4.5 bar rear.

Thanks so that is about 65 psi in the rear which it what I pumped mine to well 66 but what is 1 psi  hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:29 pm

The subject of tyre pressures is covered exhaustively on here, so if you’re not satisfied with some of the responses you’ve had then you could do your own research using the search facility. 

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:53 pm

Bigplumbs wrote:I notice that the rear tyres on my Nuevo have 80 psi stamped on them. This is very high to what I am used to.

I have pumped mine up to 66 psi.

What pressure do people on here usually run at
I maintain the cold pressures of my rear Continental Vanco Camper 215/70 R15 109R Camping Pneu (CP) tyres at 5.4 bar (78 psi).  This is slightly less than 5.5 bar (80 psi) which is the tyre's maximum permitted cold pressure and the pressure recommended by Peugeot for when my rear axle's mass is at its MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass) of 2000 kg.  When I fully load my Nuevo its rear axle mass is only 1850 kg.  The ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) and TyreSafe recommend that the cold pressures of all single fitment rear Camping Pneu (CP) tyres should be 5.5 bar (80 psi) regardless of the rear axle's mass.  However, Continental who manufacture my tyre has said my rear cold pressures can also be set around the rear axle mass when my motorhome is fully loaded, plus a safety margin to account for among other things uneven loading across the axle.  This is how I arrived at 5.4 bar (78 psi).

If your tyres have 80 psi stamped on them it means they are Camping Pneu (CP) tyres (rather than Commercial (C) tyres which have lower pressures).  If your Camping Pneu (CP) tyres are the same size and load index as mine, and you are maintaining their rear cold pressures at 66 psi (4.5 bar), it might be fine if your rear axle mass is about 1600 kg.  If your rear axle mass is higher than this when your motorhome is fully loaded, it is likely that one or both of your rear tyres will not have enough air in them to support their load which over-stresses the tyre which is unsafe.  It also leads to uneven wear across the tyre, increased braking distances and poorer handling.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwells Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:33 pm

But Caraman, rather than waste your time giving good information, surely all that was wanted was a random figure of no relavance!
jwells
jwells

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:50 pm

And of course the main cause of blow outs is under inflation, so not setting your tyre pressures to match the axle weights puts you and other road users at risk.

I could publish my pressures, but they are related to my axle weights ascertained at a weigh bridge, so of no use to the original poster.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

inspiredron and jwells like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:02 pm

As has already been said there are many threads on this forum on the subject of tyre pressures. Most of those threads have lots of helpful information and little can be added. There seems no point in repeating the same information which merely makes it more difficult for those who would like meaningful assistance to find information relevant to their needs. It also increases unnecessarily the storage requirements of the forum.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:38 pm

I use the pressure stated  on the door  post  70 f 80 r  cp tyres  straight  answer ok
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

John McHale and Glenny54 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:00 am

Kemerton-bath wrote:The subject of tyre pressures is covered exhaustively on here, so if you’re not satisfied with some of the responses you’ve had then you could do your own research using the search facility. 

Tim
Or people could just answer the simple question asked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:04 am

Molly3 wrote:I use the pressure stated  on the door  post  70 f 80 r  cp tyres  straight  answer ok

Many thanks very useful. See the world does not need to be complicated.

Real world is….. oh I think my tyre is a little flat……. Wheres my pump…….what do I pump it up to…….. ok 70 psi……. Pump pump all sorted.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:05 am

TeamRienza wrote:And of course the main cause of blow outs is under inflation, so not setting your tyre pressures to match the axle weights puts you and other road users at risk.

I could publish my pressures, but they are related to my axle weights ascertained at a weigh bridge, so of no use to the original poster.

Davy
They would be of use to me honest
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:14 am

inspiredron wrote:As has already been said there are many threads on this forum on the subject of tyre pressures. Most of those threads have lots of helpful information and little can be added. There seems no point in repeating the same information which merely makes it more difficult for those who would like meaningful assistance to find information relevant to their needs. It also increases unnecessarily the storage requirements of the forum.

So is this a forum or just an Archive
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:50 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Ignore the 80psi, it is a max value mandated by the USA.

You are incorrect.  80psi is the max value mandated in UK.  Ignore it at your peril.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:09 am

Molly3 wrote:I use the pressure stated  on the door  post  70 f 80 r  cp tyres  straight  answer ok
For those that don't understand tyre pressures there is something to be said for the simplicity of using the axle MTPLM pressures shown on the door post, providing they are for the right type and size of tyre.  However, for A-S coachbuilt conversions it will result in grossly overinflated front tyres but even that is probably better than having under-inflated tyres.

Last edited by Caraman on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:13 am

What others do re their tyre pressures is largely irrelevant, for example mine are always 60psi all round, but that's for my specific truck with my specific tyres, and my specific loading/payload.
The guy across the road, even with a similar vehicle will have a totally different set of figures
The ONLY correct way is to get the thing weighed, each axle and total then use the many charts available to decide what YOU want to do
In addition you'll also actually KNOW the vehicle weight and not guess, probably wrongly, as a lot of people do!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 am

OK, I had a Nuevo, 2006 so same base vehicle as Bigplumbs.  I had Michelin  Agilis Camper tyres. Michelin,  if you ask them , will tell you the rears should be 80psi regardless of axle weight. I actually ran mine at 60 front and 65 rear, this was because at 80 my fillings would have shaken out. That could be classed as grossly under inflated but back then tyresafe did not go with the 80psi as they do now, they went by axle weight and 60/65 was what they recommended back then for camper tyres. So there you have an actual pressures as requested.
I've now changed van to a Sussex which again had Michelin Agilis and again I ran it 60/65 for comfort. That is also the pressures shown on door pillar. I've recently changed tyres to van tyres instead of campers and again 60/65 gives a comfortable ride.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:42 am

IanH wrote:What others do re their tyre pressures is largely irrelevant, for example mine are always 60psi all round, but that's for my specific truck with my specific tyres, and my specific loading/payload.
The guy across the road, even with a similar vehicle will have a totally different set of figures
The ONLY correct way is to get the thing weighed, each axle and total then use the many charts available to decide what YOU want to do
In addition you'll also actually KNOW the vehicle weight and not guess, probably wrongly, as a lot of people do!

Many thanks for the information and the 60 psi is interesting to me.

As I said many times I am not going to weigh my Van (My Choice It is still a free Country as far as I am aware)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next