The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Corinium Duo. Newbie questions

+11
glyne lock
Redboy
Uncle Mort
Paulmold
Slow-Lane
Weegie
Suppersready
Cymro
IanH
Gromit
Andacami
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2017 Corinium Duo. Newbie questions - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 Corinium Duo. Newbie questions

Post by dotsontour Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:01 pm

You are right , a steep learning curve .  You will get lots of help along the way 
 My only suggestion is make sure you get a good handover from the dealer .
Take your time don’t be rushed ,ask questions . Get demonstrations . Both of you get involved . You won’t remember everything but it will drop into place .
Take notes & photos . Good luck . Enjoy your van
dotsontour
dotsontour

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : executive

Back to top Go down

2017 Corinium Duo. Newbie questions - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 Corinium Duo. Newbie questions

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:08 pm

Late to the party on this post...been travelling for a while!
Re payload.

I have a 2017 Corinium fb 4 Tonne ...I’m fully loaded..and it has taken everything I’ve thrown at it...I doubt that you will overload the rear axle..but the front axle will get lighter as you load up so I suggest heavy stuff to the front.

I’ve had self levelling fitted and even that hasn’t phased it..in my opinion a great vehicle, though I accept some have suffered horrendous reliability and build issues...the 2.0 litre unit is good but on the Peugeot Boxer website some issues keep popping up..nothing overriding but like all engines they have failures.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Just as a further addition, the rear wheel arches apparently came fixed on...you have to remove them in order to remove the rear wheels...make sure the arches have the 3 screws and caps so that you can remove them..

Unfortunately mine were also plastered with silicon sealer...I removed mine and fitted them properly...I washed my van today and noticed another panel under the hab door again plastered with sealer...I’ll remove that next year and fit it properly...

You will have the ec500 unit. And the Sargent controller....so the batteries will suffer off grid with the pathetic 80 watt panel..
I’ve already fitted a new Votronic mppt controller and will update the panel in due course.

Ray.
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:47 am

1. Anyone with a similar spec know what is a realistic payload (read some posts on this but did not glean a definitive answer)?

although a couple of replies have mentioned their vans being on the heavy 4t chassis, the current AS website suggests the Corinium is available (with the same chassis?) but plated at 3.5t?
the website shows a payload of 313kg for the Duo.
you need to check the weight plate on the vehicle you are looking at, that 500kg difference is pretty important.
if the van is plated at 4t and you have the license to drive it, you will have plenty of payload so please ignore the rest of my post....

HOWEVER,
if the van is palted at 3.5t and you have the necessary license requirements you could easily upgrade as the chassis needs no modifications...its a 'paper' admin change...
however, if you dont have the licence and the vehicle is plated at 4t youre in trouble.
similarly, if you dont have the license groups and the van is plated at 3.5t then you cant upgrade and will have to decide if 313kg is enough payload.
my immediate thought is that is nowhere near enough, but can be managed depending on your touring requirements.
firstly, filling the water tank and adding OH in the passenger seat will steal (nominal) 165kg of the above...you now have just 148kg left...see how easy that was!
this is with a totally empty van....consider what you will be carrying....pots, pans, cutlery, dry food, tins, bottles, fridge contents, bedding and clothes  (surprisingly heavy), electrical items, cables, books, shoes, outdoor boots and kit, tools, bikes, chairs, table, wine....wine...wine...etc, etc...
ok, some folk dont travel with a full tank, but this depends where you are heading, the availability (and ease of filling) of the supply...and if filling the tank is going to be the first item on the list when arriving...
even half filling the tank will only give you another 45kg, hardly a mega saving.
this is a very heavy van to run at 3.5t, so check your license, check the vehicle plate and if either means running at the lower weight think very carefully about whether this is viable (for you) with such a small payload.
if its plated at 3.5t i would also suggest getting the dealer to weigh the van (your van) as there can be variances....it may be heavier than in the brochure and this would put more pressure on the available payload.
im not trying to put you off the van (my comments would be the same for any large van with such a small margin at 3.5t....some Swift and AT vans are incredibly tight at this weight) merely to raise awareness, for you to check yourself and NOT to believe anything the salesman tells you about payload!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 am

The 4tonne version has a payload circa 800kgs, however...as Chris has stated....it gets eaten into quite quickly....but it’s just enough....
 Depends on your needs really....the weighbridge is your friend...

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:15 pm

as Ray says, plenty on the four tonner....but the OP hadnt said if the van is a 3.5 or 4 tonne version, nor if he has C1 on his license.
depending on the combination of these things, different scenarios unfold....

C1 plus 4t van = no problem
C1 plus 3.5t van = payload shortage but upgrade possible or run at 3.5t with tricky payload 
no C1 plus 4t van = cant buy van (or take C1 test) 
no C1 plus 3.5 van = payload shortage, run with tricky payload, find van with more payload at 3.5t
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 am

just a thought....despite the website suggesting a Corinium can be bought at 3.5t.....does anyone on the forum have one and run it at this weight?
what is the total weight and, importantly, axle weights, fully loaded?
this might help the OP if the van he is looking at is a 3.5 tonner.

just one more point....for those at 3.5t (there cant be many though?) could you report the max axle loadings
i seem to recall that i was informed on this forum that all Corinuims come on the 4 tonne chassis and that anyone wishing to run at 3.5t (the default according to the website) would therefore still get the benefit of these higher axle limits (for interest, the Fiat Heavy version has max axle weights 1900kg front and 2400kg rear) giving full upgrades to 4500kg.
i was interested to see if these are the same for the Peugeot version even for a 3.5t plated version.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am

AS quote:-

3500kg - Front axle max 1850kg, Rear axle max 2000kg

4000kg - Front axle max 2100kg, Rear axle max 2500kg.

Presumably there must be some difference in what they order for the base chassis.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:50 am

Yes the 4 Tonne chassis is the Alko heavy chassis, the 3.5 Vers. Uses the light chassis.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:59 am

Libraryman2 wrote:Yes the 4 Tonne chassis is the Alko heavy chassis, the 3.5 Vers. Uses the light chassis.

Ray

as Ray has said the you get a heavy or light chassis that gets bolted to the cab and the wheels have  different stud holes
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:25 pm

cheers all.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:20 pm

1. Despite the media pack, there does not appear to be a TV. So is a TV extra and the choice of the buyer then? MY 2018 CORINIUM DIDNT INCLUDE AT TV, I HAD TO BUY ONE. I GOT AVTEC WHICH IS BRILLIANT.
  2. Are the headlights adjustable for driving on the other side or do you need beam convertors stuck on? YOU NEED TO PUT STICKERS ON HALFORDS AND AA SELL THEM
  3. Anyone with a similar spec know what is a realistic payload (read some posts on this but did not glean a definitive answer)? IF YOU ARE ON A 3,500KG CHASSIS, REALISTIC IS 250KG RATHER THAN THE 375 INDICATED IN THE BROCHURE. BY TE TIME YOU STOW THE BITS AND PIECES, AN AWNING, BARBECUE, TABLE AND CHAIRS, CLOTHES ETC YOU HAVE LOADED OVER 100 KG
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Thank you allthumbz

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 am

Andy, are you looking at a 3.5t or 4t version?
do you have a C1 on your license?
if your response to Boggie had been 'thank you, but im buying the four tonner' i wouldnt have posted, but it seemed that you were just acknowledging Boggies view that there were shortcomings in the payload of the 3.5t version... 

have another look at my numbers above....the 3.5t version will be 'tricky, difficult, impossible' to run sensibly.
Boggie has also highlighted the payload shortcomings of a large, heavy van on a light chassis...
i wrote..."the payload of the Duo is 313kg......filling the water tank and adding OH in the passenger seat will steal (nominal) 165kg of the above...you now have just 148kg left...see how easy that was!"

this was not me being flippant...148kg payload to accommodate all the items on my (and Boggie's) list will be darn near impossible without serious compromises.
you only have two ways to increase this payload, run with less water or leave OH at home....
even running with half a tank will only save you 40/50 kg so you will still only have 180-200kg as your total payload.   
i know many folk on other forums who would describe a van (of any brand) with this level of payload as 'not fit for (motorhoming) purpose'....
i asked upthread if anyone on here was running the 'light' version of a Corinium to get a real world view of how they were managing but no responses yet.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:25 am

bolero boy wrote:Andy, are you looking at a 3.5t or 4t version?
do you have a C1 on your license?
if your response to Boggie had been 'thank you, but im buying the four tonner' i wouldnt have posted, but it seemed that you were just acknowledging Boggies view that there were shortcomings in the payload of the 3.5t version... 

have another look at my numbers above....the 3.5t version will be 'tricky, difficult, impossible' to run sensibly.
Boggie has also highlighted the payload shortcomings of a large, heavy van on a light chassis...
i wrote..."the payload of the Duo is 313kg......filling the water tank and adding OH in the passenger seat will steal (nominal) 165kg of the above...you now have just 148kg left...see how easy that was!"

this was not me being flippant...148kg payload to accommodate all the items on my (and Boggie's) list will be darn near impossible without serious compromises.
you only have two ways to increase this payload, run with less water or leave OH at home....
even running with half a tank will only save you 40/50 kg so you will still only have 180-200kg as your total payload.   
i know many folk on other forums who would describe a van (of any brand) with this level of payload as 'not fit for (motorhoming) purpose'....
i asked upthread if anyone on here was running the 'light' version of a Corinium to get a real world view of how they were managing but no responses yet.

Hi,

4t. Dealer did a weighbridge ticket with a half tank of LPG, full water, no fuel, no grey, and a really heavy A-Frame; came in at 3440 kg. So if I added my OH and crate of beer and some basic weekend clothes and food AND got rid of the A-Frame, we'd probably only just scrape by at 3.5t! It really is a nightmare this payload thing...

I have C1.

I mentioned 4t in the OP, but suffice to say, additional clarity/repeat of key info is useful in long threads (my bad).

I was just being polite to all in my thanks, not in direct response to any individual post (again, a better response would have helped)

So at 4t, think I'm okay but still, leaving OH at home intrigues... hugegrins

As when I can, I'll load up, do a weighbridge and report back...

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:01 pm

thanks for the update, you should be fine then....but you can see how easy it is to be led by the colour of the cushions and curtains and to drive away in something that could never work.
good luck with the deal..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2