The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doors refuse to stay locked

4 posters

Go down

Doors refuse to stay locked Empty Doors refuse to stay locked

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:51 pm

I've just brought my 2006 Eton Mk6 Transit to the house from winter strorage, all seemed fine, both batteries fully charged and no other obvious problems until I came to lock the cab using the remote fob. The doors lock and then about a second later they unlock, I managed to get it to lock eventually and thought I'd try unlocking and locking again, with the same thing happening i.e. lock then unlock. I tried using the key with the same result. I then opened and closed all doors including the habitation door and gave it a good slam and it locked. 

Are there central locking/immobilisor sensors on the habitation door, could this be the problem?

I'm at a loss as I have no electrical knowledge and just wondered if anyone had come across anything similar or has any suggestions before I go to the expense of involving an auto electrician?

Thaanks in advance.

Marko
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Doors refuse to stay locked Empty Re: Doors refuse to stay locked

Post by Eltel Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:03 pm

On my Nuevo there are indeed sensors on the habitation door.

I clean them with isopropyl on a regular basis, otherwise the habitation door won’t lock.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I would guess that's the answer.

If all the doors are not completely closed the remote door lock pings open again. Can't think of anything else.

When I had those sensors (which are better than the frequently splitting cable at the bottom of the door!) I gave them a squirt of WD40 after cleaning. It did appear to delay the corrosion, but as Terry says, regular cleaning is the answer.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Thank you so much Terry and Gromit, I've just cleaned the upper and lower locking bars and the associated brackets with isopropyl and all seems well, I'm assuming that when you say sensors you mean where the contact is made on the bars and brackets?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:46 pm

No.

The "sensors" are not actually sensors, it's just a group of three (I think, from memory) electrical contacts situated near the top of the opening side of the door. One half on the door frame, and the other on the door itself. One half is a set of sprung plungers, and the other set is contacts for the plungers to press against to complete the electrical circuitry.

They get a bit grubby and corroded over time and fail to make a good contact.

That means they will either not lock, not open, or both - and the problem can be intermittent as you have discovered.

They are quite obvious when you know where to look!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks Gromit, I'll have a look in the morning. Stop Press I've just had a look and the only possible points of contact are as I described, no plungers or anythiing like that and as I said cleaning the bracket and cylindrical bars seems to have solved the problem, I'll look again in daylight to make sure and post pictures if not sure. Thanks again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:17 pm

No other contact points and all good so I'm happy except the toilet flush pump is not working but I can live with that until the next service.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 am

Check the fuse on the toilet pump - and the fuse contacts is where the fuse fits into its holder. The fuse is located to the left of the cassette and can be seen if the cassette is removed.
I have a cable connection between the hab door and the body so no contacts problem. Header,if the hab door is not FULLY closed, is partially but not fully latched the locking does not work at all. I guess there is a Microswitch in one of the snap-over catches.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:55 am

if you have a cylinder that is tight and reqs freeing up will make the others unlock as this cylinder is not going to the full lock position .if any of the inside levers is not returning fully will also make it unlock as it sounds like you have done a bit of lube (spray grease is best long term)
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks everyone, the doors lock fine now and the pump can wait.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down