The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No battery - N/S Door Locked: More Newbie QQ

3 posters

Go down

No battery - N/S Door Locked:  More Newbie QQ Empty No battery - N/S Door Locked: More Newbie QQ

Post by AlanT Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Duh! shrugg Yes I was told to disconnect the engine battery but I didn't think_smiley_46 so I discovered Catch 22! tap_fingers

Battery dead flat, central locking inoperative, nearside cab door remains locked, therefore no access to battery to jump start.
The door would just not open from the inside, and I am surprised that there is no manual override to unlock, or am I just blind as well as thick?

Is anyone familiar with this, and is there a fix other than long jump leads through the drivers door?
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down

No battery - N/S Door Locked:  More Newbie QQ Empty Re: No battery - N/S Door Locked: More Newbie QQ

Post by roli Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 am

The key should be able to open both cab doors manually. On the Ford 1st click opens drivers door a second click to get the passenger side door open.
I suspect there may be an issue with the door lock on your Sigma itself, rather than the system.

I recall late last year a Broadway having door lock problems, unsure if it was the cab doors lets see if Pete Browns memory is better than mine ( Pete - Neils van Southport ?)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

No battery - N/S Door Locked:  More Newbie QQ Empty Re: No battery - N/S Door Locked: More Newbie QQ

Post by Peter Brown Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:59 am

Hi Alan

The fault that Roger mentions was down to a blown fuse in the Peugeot electrics - all electric door operation had failed.

Could you please elaborate on your problem - it sounds as though you can get in the van but not access the vehicle battery - where is that battery located?

As a safety feature, all cab doors should operate manually from the inside unless the security deadlock has been applied, either by key fob or second key turn operation. The deadlock can always be overridden on the drivers door by manual operation of the key but can take some effort.

Many newer vans only have key operation on the drivers door but if yours has it on the passenger door you should be able to override that deadlock as well.

Looking forward to hearing more detail.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by AlanT Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks for your very early replies gents.

I have a keylock on the driver's door only. Passenger door has only a handle on the inside.
I had locked the van using the keyfob and when I returned the key fob was inoperative so I had to open the driver's door with the key. Passenger door remained firmly locked and would not open from the inside,

My battery is set into the floor on pax side.

I note also that the bonnet release is on the LHS of the facia and covered by the pax door, which means no access to bonnet either without power. I plan to disconnect the battery, leaving the battery cover loose, next time!

Once the battery had been charged the central locking worked fully, but interestingly enough the blipper fob for interior lights didn't work either although the habitation battery showed 11.7v. A couple of hours later when I was about to reassociate it with the control box, it magically started working on it's own accord.

I will check out fuses and dead locking as I'm not yet clued up on them.
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Alan

You do not say but the implication is that you managed to access the battery from inside the van with the cab passenger door still locked. For my interest, could you advise if that correct?

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by AlanT Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Yes, a very helpful Gent from the yard where I keep my van was able to get the battery cover off and get his heavy duty jump started in all through the driver door. Central locking became active once the battery had had a few hours charge.

Re Deadlocking: I don't appear to have this function on my van, as even with double locking the pax door opens on the handle from inside.

Re Fuses: No fuses blown, plus if that was the case I would expect central locking to fail completely.

AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

No battery - N/S Door Locked:  More Newbie QQ Empty Solution

Post by AlanT Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 pm

As I was pondering the problem, I realised that I may also have a problem locking the pax door after disconnecting the battery (recommended in Peugeot manual), and a little googling found the solution to both on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] links to this site no longer allowed *.

I would post a link but the apparent url doesn't work for me, so I quote with thanks from motorhome facts:

Q I have to disconnect my battery every time I leave my Fiat due to flat battery issues. I have to lock the doors with the fob. Squeeze into disconnect the battery and ecape from the drivers door using the key on the outside to lock it. I tried to work out how you can manually lock the doors, but failed
A There s a hole that you can put you Key or similar in an flick it. This locks the door when you close it.

Q I'm also assuming that your battery's flat & you're trying to open the passenger door to get to the bonnet release to jump start.
I wasn't aware of a manual switch on the passenger side.

A The advice I was given by my dealer...which worked in my case if a little convoluted...as follows.

1) Get in van via either driver's door or habitation door.
2) Take up carpet in cab area. You'll then see a floor insert between driver's/passenger's seat, which if you take up reveals a hinged metal panel, under which is the vehicle battery.
3) Connect 12V battery pack across it. DO NOT JUMP START FROM THIS. This will give sufficient power to use the remote to unlock, so passenger door will open. (Disconnect battery pack).
4) Open passenger door, open bonnet.
5) There are terminals under the bonnet that can then be used for jumpstarting. My experience is the powerpacks of the type that you charge up then use aren't up to the job if the battery's totally flat...you'll need to jumpstart from a vehicle...obviously running...with a reasonably meaty battery.

While your looking at the battery, have a close look at what's connected...you may find the source of your flat battery (e.g. this is how I noticed my reversing camera had been wired direct off the battery, not via ignition-switched).

I noticed when my battery was being charged there are 5 or 6 leads connected to the positive terminal so I shall have to investigate further.
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down