The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate.

+6
Cymro
Roopert
Peter Brown
PLOUGHLIN
Milvus
Markey717
10 posters

Go down

Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate. Empty Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate.

Post by Markey717 Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:55 am

Hi everyone.
Opened the habitation door after opening with alarm fob,put keys just inside the door,closed the door to clean the dogs feet and keep the heat in.Then heard the sound of the central locking kicking in. Controlled panic and could not get to the whiskey.Really so mad with myself,so unlike myself I left one catch open on the barthroom window,not very dignified but was able to squeeze in.I must make sure never to be in this bother again,possibly spare keys?
Regards Mark.
Markey717
Markey717

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford merc auto
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate. Empty Re: Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate.

Post by Milvus Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:05 am

We’ve had a few close encounters with this problem. As a get around, whenever we unlock using the remote fob, we open and close either drivers or passenger door. This stops the auto remote locking.  That has become a habit, to the point we do it without thinking now. As a back up, we have a key each.

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

pstallwood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate. Empty Keys locked in motorhome Burford 18 plate

Post by Markey717 Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 am

Hi  yeh we have just started opening either of the cab doors.Hope my memory does not leave me.
Regards Mark.
Markey717
Markey717

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford merc auto

Back to top Go down

Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate. Empty Re: Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate.

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:22 am

A hab door key zip tied to the chassis somewhere will get you in. Why the central locking interface AS use doesn't address the MB self locking 30  secs problem, is beyond me, but they don't seem to be able to solve it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:30 am

Mercedes MobiloVan will cover the cost of entry into the van if your keys are locked in.  A friend was charged by an MB dealer to do this but when MB were told a refund was made.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We lock cab doors with the fob when settled on site and only use manual key on hab door till we leave. I also have an emergency means of access available.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:53 am

Another option would be a "surf key" for the cab/ignition, secreted (like a copy hab door key) on the chassis somewhere. This is a key that will physically unlock the cab doors, but has none of the remote control or immobiliser parts inside it (which should make it cheap! I think I paid £10 for mine at Timpsons).

So it will get you into the van, but it won't let you start the engine or turn off a factory alarm - which is handy if you have just shut your keys in the van, though not a perfect solution if you've actually lost them! But if I've lost my keys I would rather be sitting in the warm/dry in the van (albeit with the alarm wailing unless you sit very very still) than standing out in the rain...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 am

Because the habitation door key on our Nuevo doesn't have any electronics (which the cab door keys, and the fobs, have) so it was cheap to have a spare Hab key cut. and it's concealed on the van and is, of course, accessible from the outside.

I recall a thread where Gromit described the interaction between the cab and hab locks, but my memory is such that it nevertheless surprises me!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:17 am

Cymro wrote:I recall a thread where Gromit described the interaction between the cab and hab locks, but my memory is such that it nevertheless surprises me!

Cymro
And it's still just as much of a mystery!!  scratch head

Quite unpredictable in our van. Sometimes unlocking the cab doors will lock the hab door, whether the hab door is open or closed. Other times it doesn't.

It's a bloody nuisance, but apparently beyond the wit of man to fix! Whistle1 The hidden spare hab door key is almost essential for those of us whose vans have this interesting optional extra feature!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate. Empty Keys locked inside Auto-Sleeper Nuevo 2017

Post by Ailsaj Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:23 am

Hi  wave - just returned from New Year away in our motorhome. En route home we stayed in lovely all-year round Caravan and Motorhome Club Site in Moreton-in-Marsh. We had a visit from friends and unfortunately, as they were leaving, they inadvertently and unknown to us pushed the handle on our habitation door, which locks it when shut. We saw them off, returned to our motorhome and found we were locked out but on the plus side our keys were warm and safe inside - and out of our reach, including anything else that might have been handy in this situation, i.e. a phone, details of our breakdown company (Caravan Guard) and jackets! By this time it was cold, dark and wet! The campsite Reception was just about to shut but they kindly pulled out all the stops and got Caravan Guard on the phone for us. Typically this was during the terrible flood period over New Year and, after waiting on the phone for over 30 minutes listening to "Please hold, your phone call is important to us" they were unable to provide a locksmith until the following day. Unbelievable! The Wardens, Sarah and Colin, managed to get hold of one of their local 'Go to' people - Caravan & Motorhome Repairs- who offered to come out and help us gain entry. 'Course they weren't locksmiths but by this time we were cold and wet and just wanted to get back inside by whatever means possible, short of breaking a window! The Auto-sleeper Nuevo has an external locker which, when opened, gives access to under the bed. These chaps jimmied the two locks on this door and, with a bit of wriggling and swearing, one (the thinner of the two) was able to get into the motorhome and gain entry from under the bed. What a relief. 'Course the locks were b***ered but small price to pay to be warm and dry once again. From what we understand this is a common problem with this particular type of habitation door. So, a costly lesson learned. We have been a bit miffed with the Caravan Club recently but have to say that Sarah and Colin, the Wardens at Moreton-in-Marsh, couldn't have been more helpful or understanding, providing shelter in their own home well after their working day should have ended. One of the first jobs when we got home was to get two habitation door keys cut which we have now secreted safely on the outside of our motorhome. I have also contacted Auto-Sleeper Spares Department and they are in the process of sending us two replacement locks for the locker.  allthumbz
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Keys locked in motorhome. Burford 18 plate. Empty Hiding spare key

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:13 pm

Caution!
If you choose to hide your supplied spare key as a mitigation to being locked out, please be aware that if you are unfortunate enough to have your van stolen, you will not be able to show your insurer the complete set of spare keys to demonstrate that you took all reasonable precautions with the security of your van. An extra key should be cut for the habitation door to hide under/outside the vehicle. I use a  quick spray with WD40 and seal the key, along with a strong magnet in a vacuum foodsaver(tm) sealed bag, so I don't end up fishing out a rusty key when I need it. This would just add to the aggravation.
Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by lucasg Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:30 am

Get a spare key cut and wear it round your neck on a tape. May sound tacky but not too intrusive or unpleasant and gives you peace of mind
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70

Back to top Go down