The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Benz Sprinter - Safety Recall

5 posters

Go down

Mercedes Benz Sprinter - Safety Recall Empty Mercedes Benz Sprinter - Safety Recall

Post by Liam Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Just had a notification from MB (in conjunction with DVLA) that my Sprinter based vehicle needs to have the glow plug output stage module replaced. 

It's an electronic component which controls the glow plugs in the engine and the fuel filter heater. Apparently in a worst case scenario, this could result in a vehicle fire!!

The notification only applies to certain Sprinter 906 models and is seems mine is one of them! If it's of any help - my chassis came off the MB line in December 2013.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Sprinter - Safety Recall Empty Re: Mercedes Benz Sprinter - Safety Recall

Post by rventhusiast Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Liam, my Worcester is an April2013 reg so may be in the same batch - how did you find out about the recall? I am not the first owner so I assume there is a way for secondary owners to find out about recalls?

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Sprinter - Safety Recall Empty Re: Mercedes Benz Sprinter - Safety Recall

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:22 pm

The recall is for 906 facelift models. Is yours?

Check if a recall applies here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:35 pm

I don't think yours is David as like mine it is pre facelift.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:52 pm

groundhog wrote:I don't think yours is David as like mine it is pre facelift.
Yes I think you are right as the build date, from memory, was December 2012 and is the model with just two bars across the front grille rather than three.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:13 am

rventhusiast wrote:Liam, my Worcester is an April2013 reg so may be in the same batch - how did you find out about the recall? I am not the first owner so I assume there is a way for secondary owners to find out about recalls?

David
Just seen (forum is not advising me of new posts at the moment) your post David, so you may have already got the answer - I got the notification direct from MB. 
But as Peter L. has noted you can check on the official Gov.uk website also on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For your information as a second owner, the MB notification came with an attached pro forma and a free post envelope requesting, if I was no longer the owner then I should fill in the form accordingly and return to them immediately. 
As this is classified as a "Safety Recall" and not just a routine recall, then it is done in conjunction with the DVLA and their data base of registered owners/keepers - so, in theory, it should get to all of the current owners/keepers.

Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:28 am

As a first owner of a Sprinter (2017 Stanton) I have had no notification of this or any other recall. When checking the DVLA website it says they have no information on any recalls for my vehicle (checked using registration number) and to contact a Mercedes dealer.
So DVLA not much use here.

So, I just called my dealer who confirmed my vehicle was included and booked it in for next Monday. I asked him why Mercedes had not contacted me about a recall issued in April. They had no idea. "That all comes from head office mate".

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Dare-devil-dennis wrote:As a first owner of a Sprinter (2017 Stanton) I have had no notification of this or any other recall. When checking the DVLA website it says they have no information on any recalls for my vehicle (checked using registration number) and to contact a Mercedes dealer.
So DVLA not much use here.

So, I just called my dealer who confirmed my vehicle was included and booked it in for next Monday. I asked him why Mercedes had not contacted me about a recall issued in April. They had no idea. "That all comes from head office mate".

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

Probably in the post mate!! Its from the MB customer service department at Milton Keynes.
The only reason I mentioned the DVLA was because in the notification letter I received from MB they stated; "The DVLA records show that you are the owned of the subject vehicle", so they must have accessed the DVLA data base to obtain my details. 
There was also a DVSA info leaflet, titled, "An Urgent Message from DVSA" (VOSA/SUP/2581A/APRIL 14) include with the MB notification letter advising me what to do. 
It also drew my attention the the fact that if I did not act promptly, it was; 1. An offence using a defective vehicle, 2. Put my operators licence at risk, 3. Affect any claims made to my insurer, 4 Put myself, occupants in the vehicle at risk!
So, like you, I have booked it in for later on this week - the service manager at my local commercial centre said it can be done on a turn-up bases.

Perhaps they are sending out the notifications in date order of manufacture (mine came off the line in Dec 2013.

Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down