The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Sprinter recall emissions software

3 posters

Go down

Mercedes Sprinter recall emissions software Empty Mercedes Sprinter recall emissions software

Post by Jimmee Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:52 pm

I have received a telephone call from my local Mercedes dealer to bring my Sprinter (Bourton 2014) in to have the emissions software updated "to bring it in line" with current models.  There are lots of adverts on the radio at the moment about claims against Mercedes for falsely tweaking their cars/vans during 2009 to 2018 (I think they are the dates) to meet emissions.  Some owners on the internet have said don't touch the update with a bargepole and others say they have had it done and it has adversely affected the performance of their vehicles and reduced the mpg.  It's not mandatory and the dealer is trying to lure me in with a free health check and a clean of the air conditioning system.  I asked if this would affect any potential claim and he would not comment.  I am suspicious.  Has anyone out there on the forum had it done?  Jimmee

Last edited by Jimmee on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Amend year of Bourton)
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

bigtallgeezer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Sprinter recall emissions software Empty Re: Mercedes Sprinter recall emissions software

Post by gassygassy Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 pm

I don't have a Merc but I think if I did have one like that I would leave it well alone. Following the alleged VW 'suers-R-us' lawyers trying to rake money out of Mercedes and VW, my take on the emissions test is this:
I used to take prototype telecomms equipment from my labs where I worked to the BABT Approvals testing labs, to get the official approvals for the kit to be connected to the public switched telephone network. Now, if the approvals specification said the out-of-band signals must not exceed such-and-such dB at this that and the other frequencies, and the equipment did not exceed those dBs at those frequencies, then the equipment met the specification and got the green sticker of approval. So, if VW or Mercedes or the small motorcar manufacturer in a shed takes their vehicle to be tested to the specified standards, and that vehicle passes the tests at the specified load, or revs or whatever it is, then the vehicle has achieved the required standard. What the vehicle emits outside of the specified test has nothing whatever to do with whether it passes the test or not. My point is that if the vehicle pours out black smoke at revs and loads outside of the specified test then that is not something that makes it non compliant. If the people who wrote the test specifications had meant something other than what they wrote, then they should have written what they meant.
If the vehicle passed the emissions tests during the emissions test, then that is that. I wouldn't want the software to be changed to make it consume more fuel, which is in itself contributing to global warming and pollution, not to mention our deep pockets and short arms.

Actually what would be interesting would be to get the emissions levels printed out at a MOT testing station. Can you get those you know who have had the modification done to get such a printout? Then compare the various gas emissions from yours, with theirs and see whose is the better?
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Jaytee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Sprinter recall emissions software Empty Re: Mercedes Sprinter recall emissions software

Post by Jimmee Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:51 pm

Thank you gassygassy.  That is most helpful.  We've not taken up the so called upgrade.  We are leaving well alone.  Jimmee
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:30 pm

Also beware. Your 2014 Mercedes won't be using AdBlu. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall AdBlu in 2014) "To bring it into line with current models" is a load of old tosh because current models use AdBlu, and without AdBlu they cannot make your engine in line with current models. Personally I could afford any new motorhome in the dealer's showroom but I won't because in my opinion AdBlu is a step too far. It reduces emissions by such a tiny amount that it will not recompense the extra pollution and materials and energy that it took to make the components which are necessary to administer the AdBlu into the cylinders. Not to mention the fact that if you run out of it your engine will stop, and I don't think you get an AdBlu gauge, you just get a warning light that you are low. Considering that it is refined pigs urine it is also grossly overpriced.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks gassygassy.  You are right, our 2014 model does not use AdBlu, I'm glad to say.  I'm glad we are leaving the recall well alone.  I've just posted a reply to your question about our window in the Bourton - Mrs Jimmee.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:16 pm

Yes, I saw the window in your Bourton Mrs Jimmee, that looks nice. A couple of vans ago we had a panel van conversion with a small washroom that didn't have a window. We were sat in it looking when some other people came in, looked in the washroom and said "oh no, it hasn't got a window". I looked and thought what a lovely lot of storage it had and when I look in a caravan or motorhome with a window I think that is somewhere they could have put a cupboard. So anyway I think the two ceiling lights in our Nuevo plus the natural light from the roof is fine, and I like the cupboard. I don't like the cheap plastic one in the shower though, it is just like the ones we thought were posh in 1970. The light switches are another matter, they are just disgusting. How can you grope about in the dark at night tring to find those tiddly 7mm diameter switches? A salesman showing me round a motorhome with light switches on the ceiling once said to me 'it's four berths and four seatbelts so it's an ideal motorhome for your family". I asked him to get a four year old and show me how a four year old can go to the toilet at night. He needed telling, since he obviously had never taken a family on holiday in a motorhome, that the child could not possibly go to the toilet at night because they couldn't reach the washroom light on the ceiling. I didn't buy his motorhome, he obviously didn't know the product.
Consequently I have written and article on washroom light switches and how to fit one where they should have been put by the manufacturer, and sent it off to MMM. You might well see it in there soon. You can do the same wiring in your Bourton and have another one at elbow height next to your bed, so you don't need to switch off the ceiling light before fumbling about trying to find how to get in.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 am

Thank you for your reply.  I posted a new reply yesterday to your previous question about the need for a window with a picture of the window on the outside of the van.  (I posted it in the other section about the window). I like the photo of the switch.  We have the same interior.  My husband Jimmee is an electrician and the first thing he did when we got the van was to install more electrical sockets and put switches like yours at bedside height to save reaching up to the spotlight. He also put a switch at waist height in the toilet just inside on the left of the door to save groping about with the ceiling lights, as you quite rightly say, and we put a long flexible LED strip light above the toilet door on the inside along one side.  We put a lightweight mirror on the inside of the toilet door and one on the shower wall, sealed of course.  With the window, strip lighting, roof light and mirrors, I think we can say we now have a very bright bathroom.  The only thing I wish I could do something with is the toilet door.  It clashes with the kitchen but I knew that when we bought the van.  I wish it could be sliding.  No doubt it could be done but I can live with it unless someone has done it and I can see a photo.  Mrs Jimmee
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:33 pm

That is very good to read, Mrs Jimmee. I'm so glad that someone else thinks that ceiling light switches are the product of unthinking inexperienced caravan interior designers, and that they actually DO something about it instead of just moaning. I would be interested to know if A/S pay less for an installed window than they do for an installed cupboard.
There are some motorhomes with sliding washroom doors but unfortunately A/S aren't one of them. They couldn't slide the door inside the washroom, because of the shower, unless they made another wall inside to take the door when it was slid open. More realistically they could make a gap between the cooker (on the end kitchen versions) and the washroom wall, and the door could slide in there. However converting an existing vehicle isn't a realistic option unless you work in the A/S factory and have free access to the woodwork workshop at weekends! Actually even that isn't possible because A/S don't make their own cupboard doors, I think - but I might be wrong. I think there is a manufacturer of cupboard doors and all the converters buy from them.
Anyway you could tell Mr Jimmee that if he does a job such as you have described, he can take photos of the job and write about it, send it off to MMM and they pay you. Normally the fee easily covers the cost of the materials used.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 am

Received a letter last week re software update for my diesel engine, had it done yesterday at Northside, Sheffield, Mechanic informed that I would not notice any difference. While there I asked about a service book as when we bought our van the dealer said that the service book was missing, I was informed by service department that these are no longer supplied and information is kept on line but they would download a copy if I required it.
Peter

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:41 pm

They are obviously assuming that for the life of the vehicle it will be serviced at a Mercedes main agent. I would ask for a paper copy if I were you. When you decide that the main dealer is too expensive and you want the work done at a third of the price at a local garage, it is handy to have a service history, specially if you sell it. You can advertise it for sale, saying it has a FSH but I as the buyer will want to see the service record a) to show that it has been serviced and b) so that I can make a judgement on what jobs are upcoming and therefore what the likely expenses are going to be in my first year of ownership.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:04 am

Contacted Mercedes and discovered that our MH had not been serviced by a Mercedes Main Agent at anytime, not surprising that it as only done 12000 miles. I have paper copies of services so I am happy with that.
Peter

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm

When I bought a new Fiat Ducato based motorhome a few years ago I was shocked to see that in the service schedule the first service was due at 30,000 miles.
 . . . . . . or one year. The reason being that it took about two gallons of oil, so it would last for more miles, and they assume that most of the engines would be in vans which will be doing 50,000 miles a year.
So when / if you have the oil changed after a year and 4,000 miles, you may as well keep the old oil and put it in your car, or save it up for future changes, as it will be nearly good-as-new. Apart from a few microscopic bits of metal of course.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down