The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many ASOC members on ASOF now?

+17
peugeotboxer
Quilter
frederic
steve00136
chrisvesey
Cymro
paul bullock
Bobskate
inspiredron
Liam
dbroada
Gromit
Machloop
roli
Jaytee
Peter Brown
CC
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How many ASOC members on ASOF now? Empty How many ASOC members on ASOF now?

Post by CC Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Just curious as the Auto-Sleeper Owners Forum (ASOF) forum has grown in member numbers considerably over the last couple of years, how many actual Auto-Sleepers Owners Club (ASOC) members have registered and use the forum? 

We still seem to be very distant from them which is a shame, still struggle to understand this division even more so now the forum is now well established. It would be nice to see more ASOC discussion in this section in my opinion, as despite being a member of the owners club myself I feel really distant from them as an organisation, unlike here on the forum with its friendly comradadery 

CC best_friends

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

How many ASOC members on ASOF now? Empty Re: How many ASOC members on ASOF now?

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm a member of ASOC as I know are several other members of the forum. You may choose to add an optional line to the profile - ASOC Member?

When the forum first started some ASOC members (me included) had reservations about it but that was actually the result of an ignorance of "forums" in general. Those reservations have largely disappeared over the last couple of years and it has certainly helped that the (literally) one or two attacks on ASOC by forum members have not been repeated. Some of those ASOC members who still have reservations (mostly about privacy and identity theft) and don't join the forum do view it and occasionally I will be contacted by such people who wish to offer advice on a subject and ask me to post it.

Being an active member of both organisations I don't see any 'distance', they just perform different functions, primarily ASOC is a 'rallying' organisation that holds much archived material on AS and the vans which is made available to members on request. The forum is an instantaneous communication and 'owner helps owner' channel.

Some people aren't keen on rallying, others are not keen on electronic communication and prefer printed communication and the telephone, neither is wrong.

If you are new to motorhoming or have a van that is new to you, the quickest (and most pleasant for me) way to find out all about it is on the rally field. If you have a specific problem that needs a quick resolution the best way is via the forum.

The ASOC membership application form asks "where did you hear about ASOC?" and "from ASOF" has been given as the answer.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Cruising Comet wrote:
We still seem to be very distant from them which is a shame, still struggle to understand this division even more so now the forum is now well established. It would be nice to see more ASOC discussion in this section in my opinion, as despite being a member of the owners club myself I feel really distant from them as an organisation, unlike here on the forum with its friendly comradadery 

CC best_friends

I suppose I feel a little but like that myself, probably because I have not yet been on a rally with them. That will change this year allthumbz after which I am sure the two will feel much closer. smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Peter Brown wrote:You may choose to add an optional line to the profile - ASOC Member?

Some of those ASOC members who still have reservations (mostly about privacy and identity theft) 

Being an active member of both organisations I don't see any 'distance', they just perform different functions, primarily ASOC is a 'rallying' organisation 

The ASOC membership application form asks "where did you hear about ASOC?" and "from ASOF" has been given as the answer.

Peter

Hi Peter... Just to be clear I wasn't criticising ASOC, just wish there was more of a bond between us.

Intresting point about putting ASOC as an option in the side profiles, something to consider... but it will have to be voluntary so only those who wish to say yes or no can do so at their own will otherwise certain members will just have another reason to complain.

With regards any concerns about privacy and identity theft as you will know ASOF doesn't request or hold any of this information (ASOC on the other hand does) When a member joins the forum they are not asked for any personal information other than their area, age and vehicle model. ASOC need your full name and address, vehicle details and registration number etc. Passwords are not retrievable by Admin or staff as these are stored on an encrypted server that we don't have access to. 

I guess because you are involved considerably with both ASOC and ASOF (for which we are all extremely grateful)  maybe you don't feel the distance like say I do... I'm a member mainly for the ASOC member discount at The AutoSleeper service center more than anything if I'm being totally honest, and because it's nice to support an organisation associated to Auto-Sleeper. 

I don't feel I get a great deal from it other than the above, and certainly don't feel valued in anyway even as a "paid" member. The ASOC newsletters contain very little of interest, and would possibly benefit from being quarterly instead of monthly and containing more Auto-Sleeper related content of interest maybe

Going slightly off topic... I've said before it would be nice if Auto-Sleepers themselves were not so secretive and offered us "News from the factory" about new things going on, methods of fabrication, also wonder why a tour of the factory is only given to committee members of ASOC as well? Maybe for health and safety or insurance reasons presumably, what a shame.

It's very rewarding and a worthwhile feeling that some members joining ASOC via the forum have put ASOF down as where they found about them. 

I would also like to attend some of the ASOC rallies but with limited time away from work prefer to travel as far as possible and see as much as possible in the allotted time, maybe we can join in one of the rallies at one of the motorhome shows during the coming year.

Sorry for being so long winded again... but I guess everyone knows me by now hugegrins

Last edited by Cruising Comet on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : worded error)

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:46 am

We have been members of ASOC for around 14 years and have rallied with them quite a bit upto last year when we slowed down due to health reasons, and not being to book well in advance for this reason.
I cant see this year being any better as I am back on on weekly hospital visits, but have made many friends over the years, (some are also ASOF members) and will keep our membership up for this reason alone.
In canvassing ASOF since we started I found the biggest issue with ASOC members joining the forum was they didnt use the internet or very little. Some were wary of forums as Peter has said. 
We have made progress and there are some who will come on and read but never post which is fine if thats what they prefer but it would be good if they would tell CC,Peter or I their handles (we wont tell promise!) so we can have a reasonable idea of numbers
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:35 am

Just received our latest ASOC monthly newsletter and again it will be straight into the bin. Just had a quick flick through it to check if there is anything in it related to my AS vans [no nothing] so I've logged in here to see what's new. I still pay the £20/year to the owners club willingly but sites like this are much more useful to me.

camper

Machloop
Machloop

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:16 am

Just received my news letter and as always read it all the way through and enjoy hearing about the club in general and the rallies etc. Would like to go on more rallies but they often clash with other things. Good to keep up with others who we have met and general info from the likes of Baz.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:40 am

I agree with pretty much everything said so far.

From my very limited experience I don't think the separation is deliberate, but more a lack of awareness. By that I mean there's no obvious way of knowing which members of the forum are also members of ASOC - therefore the interaction and cross fertilisation simply doesn't happen.

I think it would be good to have a little symbol in the profile panel to show which of us are also members of ASOC. As has been said, it would have to be voluntary - but that's no problem. I think it could only be mutually beneficial, and I can't see anything that could raise an objection? (Ref: CC's comment).

We've only been on one rally with ASOC so far, as we are not really the rallying kind, but I must say they were all very welcoming and seemed like lovely people. I did get the impression that some of them are technophobes however when showing my Maps.Me database of pub stopovers to a group at the coffee tent. Several didn't have a smartphone, so it's no wonder they were a bit baffled!

That's my quick reaction anyway. I think some degree of interaction with ASOC could only make that organisation, and a very good forum even better, and it might also make the ASOC newsletter a bit more interesting for those who have not attended all the rallies!  smile!

Dave

P.S. Details of the pub stopovers available (727 at last count). Just start a new thread if anyone wants them, to avoid messing up this one. up!

Last edited by Gromit on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:44 am

I have been on this forum for less than a week but I have to admit to not knowing there was an owners club. I ordered a van last Saturday which should be with me in the first half of next year so I will not be an owner for some time to come. I came here trying to learn about my future van before I got it and so far I'm enjoying being here.

I was once a member of the SBMCC (self build motor caravan club). I was in reasonably early and it was a bit like meeting some people down the pub and sharing opinions about how to build a camper van. It was mostly friendly and mostly constructive. I have the same general feeling about this forum. I've not been here long enough to make any friends (or otherwise) but I am getting to recognise a few names.

However after time the SBMCC started changing direction. It started getting more structured and moved towards lots of meet ups. I know that is a great time to find new ideas and actually meet people but some of us made our vans to go where we wanted. Slowly the original members all left and the newer "I'll show you mine if I can see yours" set became dominant. The club still exists and I am still in contact with a couple of members but it is not the same place.

It sounds like you have a way for people to mix with other owners (ASOC) and a place to quickly get expert opinion when needed (ASOF) which is an idea combination. Its good that there is some cross over but I also think it is good that they are distinct.
dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:47 am

It would be good to get an answer to CCs original question.   I know of 14 with current membership of ASOC and 3 who were previously ASOC members
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:04 am

roli wrote:It would be good to get an answer to CCs original question.   I know of 14 with current membership of ASOC and 3 who were previously ASOC members

Yep, I am a member of ASOC up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:30 am

Yes, another fully paid up member of ASOC - just sent off the cheque for 2016 membership!
Liam

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 am

dbroada wrote:It sounds like you have a way for people to mix with other owners (ASOC) and a place to quickly get expert opinion when needed (ASOF) which is an idea combination. Its good that there is some cross over but I also think it is good that they are distinct.

I totally agree.

Please see my earlier post in this thread for more of my views.

With respect to the ASOC Newsletter content (and I should mention that Chris and I produced it for seven years up till May 2012), it is supposed to contain information from members that will be of interest to other members.  If you picked up a copy 15 years ago there would be significant technical content about modifications, improvements and common faults.  The 'information cycle' was 8 to 12 weeks.  People have, over the intervening time, got used to the immediacy of the internet so communicate that way and only submit items to the Newsletter that they want 'Broadcast'.

The post(s) of ASOC Newsletter Editor (and Treasurer) are becoming vacant through retirement in the next year and I realise that not all ASOC members who participate in the Forum may have read in the Newsletter the request for any member interested in taking on a post to get in touch.

So if you are an ASOC member and you wish to refresh the Newsletter format, now is your chance to step forward and do it.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 am

Liam wrote:Yes, another fully paid up member of ASOC - just sent off the cheque for 2016 membership!
Liam
That's certainly the way to get into Jill's good books.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:06 pm

I am still a member of ASOC but it does seem to be more for rallying than for idea exchange. I do get much more from this forum - and while we were waiting for our van I acquired a lot of background which helped the transition from a 2001 Hymer to our "modern" Lancashire. Understandably, ASOC techniczl advice is always signed off by Auto Sleepers which can delay publication considerably. Changing the radio to "Camper" mode was a particular exsmple of that.
Depending on your dealer, you may be automatically enrolled in ASOC FOC but the membership year is the calendar year so it will expire on 31/12 after your purchase.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:43 pm

I am an ASOC member as well. I think the two organisations serve different purposes. I joined ASOC when I got my first van 6 years ago and I would have run a mile before going on a rally. However I thought I would give it a chance, just the once, and I have never looked back. A great crowd, very welcoming. I have made some good friends. You can take part in as much or as little in any of the activities, or just use the rally as a base to do you own thing.
ASOF is entirely different. Lots of practical info, and frankly lots that goes over my head but still interesting. I have picked up a number of useful tips, or suggestions. ASOF does of course benefit from being on line and therefore  has the immediacy lacking in a monthly magazine but then they serve different purposes. Oh and thanks for the heads up about the subs. Don't want to upset Jill. Getting my cheque book out now! Bob
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi I am a member ASOC and have been since buying my A/S, and the cheque is already in the post!, although this year I did hesitate slightly as I too find that it is more rally orientated than it was, not that long ago. I guess that this is probably a sign of the age we now live where it is so much more " immediate "to use this excellent forum, and gain access to the wealth of knowledge and experience it contains!  horses for coarses comes to mind     REGARDS                        Paul    wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Bobskate put it very well indeed, and I endorse those views.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Cymro wrote:Bobskate put it very well indeed, and I endorse those views.

up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi,
We went on the last company rally which had a good autosleeper presence and were able to buy lots of items like offcuts of the seat fabric, trim buttons etc. Unfortunately this rally no longer takes place but it was good while it lasted,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:06 am

We saved nearly £40 today by being members of ASOC (costing £20) as Motorplus in Derby give 10% discount on servicing and habitation checks - as do quite a lot of other service centres.
Makes ASOC membership really a no brainer.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:41 pm

My £20 was sent off Thursday neatly wrapped in a carrier bag
 (for the wastebin!) sorry ASOC 'in' joke.
The rally scene is what one cares to make it, sadly not too often up here in Bonnie Scotland, once in 2015!
Still with the Irish Tour next year who knows perhaps there may be more.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Machloop wrote:Just received our latest ASOC monthly newsletter and again it will be straight into the bin.

Did you miss the invitation to join us at Rudesheim for the "Rhine in Flames" firework display cruise in June/July next year?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:39 pm

One can leads them to water Peter, but unless their eyes are open you cannot make them drink!
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:04 pm

As said before, we are not really rally types, but our first experience with ASOC was so pleasant and welcoming that the Rudesheim trip is quite a temptation - and we would like to visit Ireland again.

Decisions, decisions!!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next