The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Security

+4
mikethebike
modelman
Peter Brown
SteveplusChris
8 posters

Go down

Security Empty Security

Post by SteveplusChris Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:05 pm

We are on holiday in Spain. Our friends have a 2005 Polensa with a Pug cab. They shut thier hab door the other evening only for it to lock itself! confused3 The cab was all locked up too. Much scratching of heads followed by all kinds of key trying etc etc As it was 11pm when discovered it was not a time when help was likely to be available. We disscussed breaking the lock, forcing a hab window etc etc but I advised (from 15 years of running touring sites and having assisted with similar before) taking out the quarter light window on the cab passenger door. In 15 mins with the aid of my trusty holiday makers multi tool thin screwdriver blade and 4 spoons! eased back the rubber seal and pulled out the window until I could get a hand in to pull the door leaver. I took out the long vertical elevation the lower corner away from the mirror and part of the lower edge which was sufficient. Of course the toughened glass might have shattered tugging it about but in my opinion this was the cheapest solution and also the fastest part to replace if it had. I also managed to ease the window back in a tiny bit at a time, the corner being the hardest bit. It got our friends in to thier MH and to thier bed as it might have been a bit cosy in our Neuvo EK!! The rubber has a few minor notches and pulls in it now but should still be a good seal. There is two reasons for writing this, 1; it might help get someone else in to thier MH and 2; just to show how easy it is for undesirables to gain entry. I have heard of the rubber just being cut off in an Aire in France so be warned, it doesn't matter how many locks you have, if someone wants to get in they will. Yes I know an alarm would have gone off if it had been armed but how many take any notice of temperamental MH alarms that spend more time going off when not needed and not when they are? Hide your valuables!! Has anyone had this happen to them. This lock has repeated its trick several more times now but of course our friends now carry a key at all times. We are not going to take appart the lock here for fear of making things worse but it is my understanding that there is a stop peg in the mechanism that breaks off and a small part will be required. Can any of you confirm that? Guess AS will be able to when home but more trust in the advice of this Forum.
SteveplusChris
SteveplusChris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo Lancashire EK

Back to top Go down

Security Empty Re: Security

Post by Peter Brown Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:08 pm

This isn't that helpful. It happened several times on my 2005 Inca but I always had the cab key on the same ring as the hab key so could get in. The fix was quick when the hab door handle was removed from the inside BUT I can't remember what it was!!!

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:56 pm

I had a fear of either locking myself out, or even loosing the keys, so I cobbled up an out of site 'key-safe' under the van, a click-lock food container held onto the ledge on the GRP rear bumper, ALL duplicated keys are there, doors, lockers, ign & a spare immobiliser fob, if I loose them, then OK, they're lost, but at least I can still get home!! 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BTW, I only 'occupy' the box with the goodies when we leave parked up, NOT when at home!!  (Thank you Peter )

Last edited by modelman on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:15 pm

With more modern vans with full central locking it is easy to be left on the outside of a locked van with your keys on the inside. I've actually seen it twice, once on a Ford and once on a Peugeot and it could happen just as easily to a Mercedes. In both the cases I've seen, professional assistance was required to make an entry.

There are several places where a habitation key could be placed where access from the outside with a screwdriver is relatively easy.

I can't recommend doing this as if your van was stolen and that key was used or its existence became apparent, then it is very likely your insurance company will decline a claim.

Peter

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 pm

modelman wrote:I had a fear of either locking myself out, or even loosing the keys, so I cobbled up an out of site 'key-safe' under the van, a click-lock food container held onto the ledge on the GRP rear bumper, ALL duplicated keys are there, doors, lockers, ign & a spare immobiliser fob, if I loose them, then OK, they're lost, but at least I can still get home!! 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BTW, I only 'occupy' the box with the goodies when we leave parked up, NOT when at home!!  (Thank you Peter )
Hi Modelman, That looks a bit over top and could easily be seen. i used to keep the key to my boat in a magnetic key holder. i stopped doing that when i kept forgetting were i hid it!
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Yeh, I suppose it IS easily seen, if you lay on your back & crawl well underneath, is that what potential tea-leafs do, have a 'reckie' under & around first??

Maybe I should think of something better.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:48 pm

modelman wrote:Yeh, I suppose it IS easily seen, if you lay on your back & crawl well underneath, is that what potential tea-leafs do, have a 'reckie' under & around first??

Hi there,

I have a foolproof system.  I gave a set of keys to my good lady.  allthumbz  allthumbz 

Out on the bikes one day in just shorts and a "T"-shirt I asked her where her keys were and got the reply "In the safe of course!"  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

Now I just make sure that, before I shut the sliding door, I double check that I have MY keys; and when I lose them I will ask for the keys I gave my better half! Whistle1  Whistle1

See?  Foolproof!!  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 pm

modelman wrote:Yeh, I suppose it IS easily seen, if you lay on your back & crawl well underneath, is that what potential tea-leafs do, have a 'reckie' under & around first??

Hi i doubt it. I suspect its ok. It just looked out of place in your photo. if you have to lay on your back and crawl then it should be as safe as houses.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Yes Ian that's our system ,carry two sets all the time.
Door keys to the house etc as well. 2 mobiles to keep in touch.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:26 am

Talking of house keys, 2 years ago, just before he got his own place, my son had his new VW Golf R  nicked whilst in Liverpool, (Yeh, I know, pull up at the lights there, & the wheels have gone )  the gps had OUR house on (as home) it & his set of keys for OUR house!!
The repercussions were frightening, so, I had to go & have 5 complete sets of hi-security replacement locks & keys made.
I was especially 'miffed' as ALL the doors & locks were only a year old!!
So while I was at it, I had all 5 locks made the same, & 1 key fits all, so we now only take the 1 key & we can get in from any door!
Also, a key is in a plastic bag permanently buried in the garden just in case  smile!  

Moral of this storey? If you put 'Home' in the GPS, make it the end of the street.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:59 pm

modelman wrote:…………….

Moral of this storey? If you put 'Home' in the GPS, make it the end of the street.
Hi there,

I agree entirely with the GPS "Home" comment but suggest that you do it a few streets away.  There aren't many people with motorhomes on our street so a casual enquiry to an innocent neighbour would soon pinpoint the correct house!

On the subject of travel a few people on the Forum may be considering flying to warmer climes so when travelling through airports:

1.  NEVER put your name AND address on a suitcase label; just your Initials and the Post Code.

2.  NEVER strap a label to your suitcase so that it can be read by a casual observer.

3.  ALWAYS mark your suitcase so that you can easily identify it as yours from a great distance.  (This stops someone walking away from a carousel with your suitcase and then claiming it was an "accident" if stopped.)

After being given the above tip I "Tippexed" the feet and painted two 3"x3" white squares on the sides of my black Samsonite suitcases.

They do not look pretty, but in thirty years of travelling around the world I have identified them with ease (even though they are of a popular make and design) and no-one has ever tried to break into them or to steal them.  up! 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:29 pm

I've put our local police station as home address on our tom tom.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:50 pm

artheytrate wrote:I've put our local police station as home address on our tom tom.

John.
 allthumbz  allthumbz  allthumbz  allthumbz 

Brilliant!! Why didn't I think of that, especially as the local nick is my recommended "few streets away"!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 pm

I put a 'friends' address in as home. He looks as if he is a mad axeman and you 'would not' want to break into his house  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 pm

artheytrate wrote:I've put our local police station as home address on our tom tom.

John.
Hey, I really LIKE that one, I too, have a local nick not too far away as well.  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingrider8368 Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 pm

I have what is now, my old work address as my home listing.  
Always had something instead of the real thing.  One time I had Norwich 'International' Airport.   I wonder what they would make of that????

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi maybe i have missed something.  My  Tom Tom is portable not a fixture. i take it out when i exit the van.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 am

mikethebike wrote:Hi maybe i have missed something.  My  Tom Tom is portable not a fixture. i take it out when i exit the van.
regards

mike
I agree, I also take mine out, but, even then, ANYTHING is capable of getting nicked (from anywhere).

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Yes,but its a golden rule, You never leave anything on show.

regards

Mike  up!
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down