The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

motorhome security

+7
Backtrax
CC
Dutto
peugeotboxer
-mojo-
ubuntu1
raybow
11 posters

Go down

motorhome security Empty motorhome security

Post by raybow Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi has anyone got an opinion on need for fitting extra exterior locks on hartel doors. I am having a cat one alarm system fitted on my new Broadway and wonder if I need the extra security and is having another lock to open annoying?
Thanks
Raybow
raybow
raybow

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty security

Post by ubuntu1 Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Just do it, the cost is small and the benefit is great.

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Re: motorhome security

Post by -mojo- Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 pm

IMO, if they are going to brute force one lock, they will happily take on two, and they (and you) won't find out how good the locks are until they've had a good go at it with a pry bar - so the collateral damage is likely to be worse whether they get in or not. If they don't get past the locks then they will probably go through the glass anyway.

I recall a photo on here a few months back where they had jemmied the acrylic side window to destruction but failed to get in, so they then just smashed the passenger window. Even top class deadlocks won't stop them getting in that way.

In that situation all you can do is rely on the alarm and hope that it's near enough to other people for them to care that it's gone off.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm

After a burglary at work, a policeman said it was advisable to leave the keys in the filing cabinet wink02

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi there,

I suggest that with the insurance everyone carries on this Forum there's no need to worry. Whistle1 Whistle1

Just let the thieves get in with minimum damage and then claim for whatever goes missing and buy a new one. Whistle1 Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround drinksallround

PS Anyone know where the "Tongue in cheek" Emoticon is? lol4 lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 pm

if you consider how easy it would be to enter via the seitz side windows adding aditional security like extra locks to the habitation door seems pretty pointless to me, alarms that trigger once the connection is broken on windows or doors however might be worthwhile.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Motorhome security

Post by raybow Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks for all your comments. I think I will save my money and buy a dog.
raybow
raybow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:41 am

Good thinking! allthumbz

There are some vicious looking beasts protecting motorhomes on this Forum and I wouldn't like to tackle this one!! wave wave

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's that steely stare that makes you think "Keep clear or it will lick you to death!" Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS

Here is a mod that I made to "Petal" that just restricts the opening of the sliding door if the lock is ever forced or opened from the inside.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Dutto on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Broadway Cat1 alarm

Post by Backtrax Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:00 am

The Cat1 alarm system I had fitted to my Broadway is activated by a fob which locks all the doors including the Hab door.
I have found this to work perfectly for me.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Re-your Broadway

Post by raybow Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:31 am

How are you finding it? Are you happy with it and what sort of fuel consumption are you getting?
Raybow
raybow
raybow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:41 am

Raybow
Very happy with Cat1 alarm fitted. If you mean the vehicle then quite happy with that also. We got it second hand 15 month old in May this year. Had a few niggly problems to resolve worst one being failed thermocouple in Oven. Re MPG. I get 37 on local runs unloaded. Have done 2 trips to France fully loaded this year. Both just under 2500 miles and Av. MPG on both was 28. Thats a bit lower than the trip computor would have me believe but I am finding it consistently gives a slightly higher reading than me dividing Diesel used into miles covered.
Merry Xmas
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Re-your Broadway

Post by raybow Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks. I am looking forward to picking up mine in March.Has yours got the euro 5 engine 130bhp ? Although I am told they perform about the same.
Enjoy your Christmas .
Raybowx
raybow
raybow

Male

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Re security

Post by pat and jim Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi All some years ago a friend fitted steel bars across his boats cabin doors and said lets see them get in there They must have thought he had something worth stealing so they took an axe to it . They took his 100pound radio .The boat had to go back to the builders for repairs and was out of use for the Summer

think_smiley_46
My boat was Broken into pulling out 4half inch screws in the hasp took waterproof coat
I filled in the holes and put back the screws claimed for coat on insurance
Jim
pat and jim
pat and jim

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : sigma ek
Vehicle Year : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm

pat and jim wrote:Hi All some years ago a friend fitted steel bars across his boats cabin doors and said lets see them get in there They must have thought he had something worth stealing so they took an axe to it . They took his 100pound radio .The boat had to go back to the builders for repairs and was out of use for the Summer

think_smiley_46
My boat was Broken into pulling out 4half inch screws in the hasp took waterproof coat
I filled in the holes and put back the screws claimed for coat on insurance
Jim

Jim,

Many years ago after I had bought some rather swish tools and installed them on a bench in my barn one of my neighbours, an old Grampian farmer, saw me fitting a shiny new lock to the barn door.

"Whit ya doin?" he enquired. I told him "Dinna do that!" he said "They see that they'll think ye have summat worth thievin!"

His £75.000 John Deere tractor was stored in a barn with a rusty nail hanging from the hasp so he knew what he was talking about; and I changed it for a rusty old galvanised lock I hadn't used for fifteen years. No-one broke in whilst I lived there and it was in full view of the road.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty security

Post by algy Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi Raybo,I will lend you Archie...thats him on my avatar.......enter at your peril.....cheers Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Hi Algy

Post by raybow Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm

algy wrote:Hi Raybo,I will lend you Archie...thats him on my avatar.......enter at your peril.....cheers Algy

Thanks for the offer but I have decided to leave the wife in the van as she would frighten off anyone!
raybow
raybow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 pm

raybow wrote:
algy wrote:Hi Raybo,I will lend you Archie...thats him on my avatar.......enter at your peril.....cheers Algy

Thanks for the offer but I have decided to leave the wife in the van as she would frighten off anyone!

Hope she doesn't read your posts Raybo..... Takes a very brave man to make a comment like that lol4

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

motorhome security Empty Not a brave man

Post by raybow Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 pm

CruizingComet wrote:
raybow wrote:

Hope she doesn't read your posts Raybo..... Takes a very brave man to make a comment like that lol4

I am doing a life sentence already!
raybow
raybow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 am

Hi all,

As some of you will know, I like a bit of fun and often go 'off topic' .... but as the Boss is watching over my shoulder, I'm playing safe here hugegrins hugegrins

I use a chain to link the cab door handles together and have added an extra lock to the habitation door (posted on the 'monocoque' forum) .... also use a Road-wheel and Steering-wheel clamp !!

I'm fully aware that these efforts will only deter the 'casual opportunist T leaf', but gives me a bit of comfort ....... I am also very careful where I park 'Clubby' allthumbz

Brian

PS .... Algy ...... Archie looks a 'Beaut' allthumbz allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I have to say I too am of the mind the the more locks you put on the outside the more people will think you have something in the van worth taking.

was on a site in the caravan couple of years back when she was still brand new and a couple of other vans had these fancy hefty locks on the doors n things. Interestingly a couple got broken into, even more suprisingly the ones they targeted were the ones with the extra locks.

Ours was left un touched with only a flimsy carvan habitation door or plastic windows to get in there way. I have the same logic now with the camper. If its worth anything then make sure its hidden when your not near the van or take it with you.

The way i see it is if its easy to get in then they "should" cause less damage scratch head Whistle1
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down