The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW WINDSOR OWNER

+2
Paulmold
Mattastik
6 posters

Go down

NEW WINDSOR OWNER Empty NEW WINDSOR OWNER

Post by Mattastik Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:19 pm

hi everybody

i have just purchased a 2007 Auto Sleeper Windsor from Don Ammot Leisure Kindgdom. i will be collecting my new baby on the 16th april and i'm very much looking forward to it.

this is my first motorhome having previously been a caravan owner (i believe 'tugger' is the nickname!) so i thought it would be useful t have access to other owners to get your tap in to your collective experience.

the dealership seemed pretty good and i'm pleased with my choice but i wanted to ask if anybody had any tips on:-

1- on the day of collection what to look for and what to ask
2- anything i need to know about the windsor or auto-sleeper models that wouldn't be obvious to a newbie

i look forward to any feedback you can give.

thanks in advance

matt

thanx
Mattastik
Mattastik

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor

Back to top Go down

NEW WINDSOR OWNER Empty Re: NEW WINDSOR OWNER

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:27 pm

If you look on the home page, scroll down to factsheets and you'll see a host of useful things to look through, including this pre-delivery checklist....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

as regards specifics of the Windsor, I'm sure another member will be along to help (Roli ?)
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattastik Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks. I'll have a look at the check list. I'm sure that will be very useful
Mattastik
Mattastik

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara K Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Hello Mattastik
Welcome to motorhoming. We also were 'tuggers' until 1 year ago. My priority now for collecting a motorhome from a dealer would be to have the phone number for the dealership /service dept . We found that the service dept were good at talking through possible faults that really were user error, though some faults have been proper faults and warrenty issues.
We found the hardest part was remembering to fill at the water point before settling into a pitch. You could feel fellow M/H's thinking 'there's the newbies'.
Hope you have a trouble free transition.
Barbara K

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 pm

There were a "few" issues with the Windsors when they were new, but any problems should have now been sorted on your van.

If the oven door opens towards the bathroom door ensure you can fully pull out a shelf (some had this config which could cause problems) Easily resolved by dealer
by changing door hinges to opposite site.

Other than that just use the checklist.

IMO the Windsor was a better van than the Sigma (same van on a Pug chassis) which was renamed the Broadway. For hill work the Ford really shines.
and our van has done every thing we have asked of it.
Pug owners who have been passengers say it performs better than the X250 in terms of acceleration and economy which I can comment on as my last van
was the old Boxer and a different engine.

3 or 4 owners (+us) that I know of have fitted Airide suspension to improve stability in winds but then many other makes and models of van do this

There are as I said a few owners on here with Windsors ranging from late 96 to the last models made so give them time and they may respond

If you use the M62 you may well see us one day our Windsor knows its own way over the big hill ( look for the ASOF sticker on top of the bike rack !!)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattastik Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:36 am

Great stuff. Would you know the approx. cost of fitting airide suspension?
Mattastik
Mattastik

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:01 am

I am not upto date but I think probably about £4 to £500 prices dont vary over the chassis so if someone has had a Pugeot done recently that would be a good guide. There are other similar makes at similar prices also one supplier/ fitter only a few miles from me considerably higher that offers no benefit over the lower cost ones. Get Leisure Kingdon to give you a price for s&f
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattastik Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 am

Do you think it is worth having it done?
Mattastik
Mattastik

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 am

Mattastik wrote:Do you think it is worth having it done?

Hello Mattastik

If you try the search function there are a number of threads about 'Air Suspension' on the forum. The general feeling is they are a worthwhile upgrade.

This thread here may be of interest to you: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Any future van we had would always have them fitted,
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattastik Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks to everybody for the advice. I think the airide suspension upgrade sounds like its worth doing. I seem to remember seeing 2 gauges down the door side of the drivers seat next to the top step.
After hearing people describe the set up on the discussion link I wondered if it might already have it?

I'll wait until I've picked it up and then look at getting it sorted if its not already fitted.

Thanks again everybody
Mattastik
Mattastik

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 am

Sounds as if the van has air assisted suspension on - great if it has. We run the Windsor around 2.8 bar but 2.5 to 3 is ok
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

NEW WINDSOR OWNER Empty New Windsor owner

Post by Geoffrey A. Mason Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Welcome to Auto Sleeper world, especially a Windsor owner, hope you are enjoying your motorhome experience, we have had our Windsor for exactly 3 years now, a 2007 model which we bought in 2010 from Marquis. You will love the Transit mechanics, much better than Fiat or the Pugeot I think. Only problems we have had have been a faulty Sargent consumer unit, faulty pump to toilet, (both replaced under warranty),and sink in the toilet failing around the tap. We love the solid build quality to the habitation area, lovely and quiet and absence of rattles when running. Gets a bit crowded by the habitation door, this has to be strictly one person area when using hob etc, the other person then has to exit or enter via cab. Very minor irritations of underfloor storage, and gas locker retaining clips not holding the flaps when open, and the cheap plastic exterior drain tap on the water tank. Ours had AS Air Suspension already fitted which gives a superior ride and the benefit of helping level the van on site, you are correct about the gauges, ours has two on drivers side, just below where the seat belt hangs. Think the diesal heating is a bit noisy, we also keep on board a small oil filled rad. which plugs into the socket behind the drivers seat. Happy motorhoming, please contact if you have any other queries.
Geoff. allthumbz
Geoffrey A. Mason

Male

Member Age : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattastik Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks Geoff.
The dealer confirmed that the van does have air suspension fitted so that's a real bonus.
Haven't been away yet but we're due to go at the beginning of May so really looking forward to that.
Cheers

Matt
Mattastik
Mattastik

Male

Back to top Go down