The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying a Windsor

+4
roli
burlingtonboaby
rgermain
simon althorpe
8 posters

Go down

Buying a Windsor Empty Buying a Windsor

Post by simon althorpe Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:16 am

Thank you for letting me join this forum. We currently have a 1998 Autosleeper Pollensa , which we are looking to upgrade to a 2007 Windsor, 2.4 ford 6 speed. Please does anyone have any comments positive or negative about owning a Windsor, and are there any specifics to look out for, when buying a Windsor , other than the usual stuff. Any information will be gratefully received.
simon althorpe
simon althorpe

Male

Auto-Sleeper : pollensa
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Buying a Windsor Empty Re: Buying a Windsor

Post by rgermain Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:41 am

asof_welcome2  Other than usual stuff, do you think about rust, being a Ford.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:45 am

Hi Simon
Welcome to the forum from Bridington,Roli (Roger) is your man, he has all the knowledge on Winsors.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:51 am

Welcome to the Forum.

We had a 2008 Windsor which was on a Mk7 Transit the 2007 could be either a Mk6 or Mk7
After the faults that should have been sorted by the supplying dealer i can say its the best van we have had in terms of performance and comfort and reliability. Shortly after buying we decided we preferred the layout of our previous van (Executive) so had AS convert the interior to the double facing bench layout.  After that no problems (unlike current Boxer) and it was in excellent shape when we swopped it after 8 years (averaging 90 nights/year use) It was only changed as we needed to downsize.
We had AirRides fitted to the rear suspension (which most vans have nowadays) and I fitted refillable gas cylinders.
One feature that Ford fitted, that I think Peugeot/Fiat etc should is an Auxilliary Battery (this is not to be confused with the AS fitted Habitation battery) It provided power for the engine management system, radio etc and just left the starter battery for doing just that.  This meant you didnt get the problem that many new Peugeots get nowadays with starter battery drain during winter due to systems pulling pwer out.
Quite prepared to go on further if you wish and bear in mind my comments relate to a MK7 Transit
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:57 am

The 2.4 6-speed Ford transit engine is probably a TDCI, not a TDDI. The TDCI is a fine engine, and that sixth gear is brilliant for motorways etc. but make sure when it's serviced the garage fit the correct fuel filter - the TDCI one has a finer mesh and avoids wear on the injectors etc. 

Other than that, usual Ford stuff: check for rust in footwells and sills. Check centre joint in the prop shaft as this is prone to wear. 

Our TDCI goes like the clappers, so much more grunt than the earlier Peugeot version of the van (and the early Transits too).
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by harry h Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:32 pm

We have a 2.4 TDCI 140 bhp MK7 same chassis I believe as the Windsor. Very reliable and a comfortable ride. Ford parts are easy to obtain and it is worth buying dealer parts for servicing. As has already been said do not scrimp on the fuel filter. I believe the ford filter filters down to 5 microns. I think Autosleepers made a mistake by no longer building on this chassis.
harry h
harry h

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2008

deejay, frederic and Slow-Lane like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Leytonexile Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:09 am

I've had a Mk7 Windsor since 2016. Delighted with it.  Very powerful engine, certainly copes with the hills around here in Cornwall. Only downside is that you need to get the revs up to 2k when pulling away or it'll stall.
Power steering failed a couple of years ago and a crankcase pulley failed last week
 Both sorted very quickly.  As the joke goes, you can get parts for a tranny on a Sunday.
Leytonexile
Leytonexile

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:31 am

Leytonexile wrote:I've had a Mk7 Windsor since 2016. Delighted with it.  Very powerful engine, certainly copes with the hills around here in Cornwall. Only downside is that you need to get the revs up to 2k when pulling away or it'll stall.

You're not kidding about "If you want to start off from a standstill the process is as follows: Stick your right foot on the gas pedal, wait two seconds, let the clutch out slowly". I am continually stalling my Transit because my daily car is a Volvo where you pull away at 1000 rpm, and 2000 rpm is 70mph on the motorway. It's a 2.4 5 cylinder engine which I suspect is made by Ford. I do wish I could take the engine out and stick it in the motorhome. Fords have always always had high revving, clutch wearing-out engines. Since the 1955 side valve Anglia, that is. Or maybe the 1963 6 cylinder Zodiac. That was a lovely car. I did Swindon to Buckingham Palace in 58 minutes and I don't care what car you have now, you couldn't replicate that.

Good job you can get parts for a Ford on a Sunday. You need parts for it every other day of the week so why exclude Sundays? Fix Or Repair Daily I think someone said.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down