The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AS Windsor

4 posters

Go down

AS Windsor Empty AS Windsor

Post by David Marsh Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Hey up Sithee,
Long story but sadly my Sandhurst has gone and we bought a VW California. BIG MISTAKE! She who must be obeyed hated it, no hot water, no bathroom/toilet/shower, no room. So, we sold that a few weeks ago. 
Being as I'm going to be 75 this year I thought we'll give up this motor homing lark, after all practically fifty years of doing it I've had a good innings. 
Today we've bought ourselves a 2007 Aoto-Sleeper WINDSOR, with the push button automatic gearbox. 
I've no idea as to the dimensions so if someone could possibly let me know what they are I'd be more than grateful as I've no idea if it will fit down my drive.
Another thing, being the honest folks you are, should there be anything for us to be aware of as our last Ford based was a 1995 Duetto and would like to address any common undesired traits on the WINDSOR before we scoot off to Spain in March.
Thanks for reading, time for a brew.
David.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

AS Windsor Empty Re: AS Windsor

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Any help? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Ah yes, thanks for that Peter L. Mine is a 2007 but I guess the dimensions will be similar?
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 pm

i had a 2008 Windsor and have regretted swoping it since. The Mk7 Transit was very reliable and the van gave us 8 years of pleasure and no worries.
We did have it reconfigured when it wasnt very old and there are some of the the stuffer cushions still here for picking up if upholstry same colour

Length 6.3m      20'7"
Width  2.51m     Mirrors Out
Height 2.9m       9'6"
MPW    3500 KGs
Skirt Paint Code   BS381 C627 Light Aircraft Grey ( never looked grey to me! )
Cab Colour          Frozen White
Interior Wood Colour Cherry

Go on the Ford Etis Site and enter you vehicle Details and it will tell you details of chassis as supplied by Ford, where it was made and when.

I have the AS Catalogue somewhere with full details.  Hope info above is of use
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 am

Watch out for the gearbox reverting to manual if you accidentally catch the buttons on the steering wheel, the first time it happened to me it was quite alarming but I know what to do now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Marko wrote:Watch out for the gearbox reverting to manual if you accidentally catch the buttons on the steering wheel, the first time it happened to me it was quite alarming but I know what to do now.
Thanks for that Marko. Something to watch out for. What do you recommend I do should I find myself in that situation?
Regards
David.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Hit the 'D' button and it will revert to Auto, you'll know when it happens as it won't change, (usually) up and the engine races. You can also use the up or down button on either side of the steering wheel but it will stay in manual. I've only used manual for going down steep hills at a speed that's comfortable for me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Marko wrote:Hit the 'D' button and it will revert to Auto, you'll know when it happens as it won't change, (usually) up and the engine races. You can also use the up or down button on either side of the steering wheel but it will stay in manual. I've only used manual for going down steep hills at a speed that's comfortable for me.
Thanks Marko, always good to know about these things. 
Regards,
David.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 pm

On the Mk 6 Transits (2000-2006 build date) with the rounded sloping nose & grill.

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] EST [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (optional on all rear-wheel-drive models) features controls mounted on the dashboard, a specially adapted manual mode, tow-haul mode, economy mode and winter mode. This is known as the ASM (automatically-shifting manual) system in the Australian market.

We had this 'box on our 2005 Duetto, a very nicely finished A/S model, though the Mk7 base was a better performer the A/S trimming and finishes in the habitation were lacking, and it was so sprightly that it earned me my first speeding ticket (42in30).
Watch out for the 'wringing on' of the rear brakes should one park up for an extended period. Best to leave it in gear/park with the wheels 'blocked' and hand brake off.
The auto box seemed to have a cutoff should it not sense the drive turning, as when the rwd locks.
More info could be made available at the AGM or rallies!
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Many thanks for that Frederic, appreciate your comments.
Regards,
David.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Back to top Go down