The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV by internet!

4 posters

Go down

TV by internet! Empty TV by internet!

Post by oldbirchy Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:44 pm

I have found that as long as.I have a good phone signal for 4G. I can set up a WiFi hotspot on it and connect a tablet. This lets me watch the terrestrial channels through the various players. I addition to this, I have an app that allows me to watch movies and TV series. I have also set up a 14 inch Chromebook with super results.
oldbirchy
oldbirchy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Mezan
Vehicle Year : 2005

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

TV by internet! Empty Re: TV by internet!

Post by RML Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:23 am

oldbirchy wrote:I have found that as long as.I have a good phone signal for 4G. I can set up a WiFi hotspot on it and connect a tablet. This lets me watch the terrestrial channels through the various players. I addition to this, I have an app that allows me to watch movies and TV series. I have also set up a 14 inch Chromebook with super results.
Great. We've been doing this for years as an alternative to having a satellite system installed. An Amazon Firestick is handy, if your TV has an HDMI port, there is some content without a subscription but it's better if you're a Prime member.  In our van we can either watch the TV together or on our separate tablets using earphones.  This has worked for us throughout the winters in France and Spain and back in the UK it's our favoured method of watching anything.  You actually only need 3g for video but 4g is better and the firestick allows you to alter the quality so reducing the data used. Another bonus is being able to use data on the move for UK radio abroad, Google mapping for navigating and a speedometer.  We both have BT mobiles with big data and no roaming restrictions.  
TV by internet! 20220811
I love data. 👍
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:06 pm

Very impressive Rich. How do you get round the blocks on accessing UK tv channels by internet outside the UK? Most channels seem to have worked out when a vpn is being used, have you found a secret system  think_smiley_46 I have trouble even watching Sottish football on BBC when we are in England.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by oldbirchy Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 pm

I have lived in Spain for the last 12 years and the best and cheapest way is to subscribe to SmartDNSProxy. That substitutes a UK IP. If you take a free trial for 2 weeks and then wait, they will offer you 2 years for $25. It is easiest to install the different "players" whilst you are in the UK though. As I don't have a TV for my van, I am using a Chromebook with a large screen. I have also installed Amazon Prime Video on it as I am a subscriber.
oldbirchy
oldbirchy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Mezan
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:35 am

Askit wrote:Very impressive Rich. How do you get round the blocks on accessing UK tv channels by internet outside the UK? Most channels seem to have worked out when a vpn is being used, have you found a secret system  think_smiley_46 I have trouble even watching Sottish football on BBC when we are in England.
We use our BT phone contract UK registered data cards so no VPN is required. A VPN is only needed if using a data card purchased outside the UK as a TV licence is needed to watch broadcast programs. The firestick is from the house so BBC and ITV have my home postcode registered.  I also have a Motorhome WiFi 3/4g router hard wired and I use '3 Internet With Legs 24gb' data cards as a backup, in fact I carry several as there's a 12gb per month cap.  Okay it costs but we already have the phones and the rest of the kit is still far cheaper than a satellite system, it doesn't impact my payload and there's no faffing sound as it's always on.  
Thanks for asking. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:49 am

Thanks for the replies. My experience of using my UK registered phone (EE) outside the UK is that it will not play programmes, even clips. I must be sticking my tongue out the wrong way  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:35 am

We also use Amazon prime and a router with a 32gb plusnet contract which works absolutely fine in UK and Europe though we tend not to watch much TV when on the continent. Also have a large selection of films downloaded for free on prime and stored on a laptop so no satellite needed.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:45 pm

Askit wrote:Thanks for the replies. My experience of using my UK registered phone (EE) outside the UK is that it will not play programmes, even clips. I must be sticking my tongue out the wrong way  hugegrins
Ahh, I had that on my tablet, I googled it and followed the instructions and solved the problem. Sadly I can't remember what I did.  
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Back to top Go down