The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many issues with new Broadway EL

+15
Lins02
breakaleg
Monty-Plym
ScribesWtr
gassygassy
Dbvwt
Peterm
Caraman
Richard G
groundhog
Fixer
Cymro
Peter Brown
Tinwheeler
Davies500
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Many issues with new Broadway EL - Page 2 Empty Re: Many issues with new Broadway EL

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:03 pm

gassygassy wrote:I would like to promote an excellent dealer and that is Lowe and Rhodes in Stoke on Trent.

Wow, that came as a shock; they are opposite my local Halfords and next door to Dunelm Mill and I've used their accessory shop many times but never seen a Motorhome for sale, just wall to wall caravans. Thinking about it maybe last time I passed I did notice (but not register) a difference and since my son moved to Cuddington I've been passing Spinney regularly so using their accessory shop.... Google street in 2023 does show Motorhomes so I guess they've revised their business model.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Many issues with new Broadway EL - Page 2 Empty Re: Many issues with new Broadway EL

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:06 pm

ScribesWtr wrote:Yes, I was referring to the Exeter dealer.  I took the Broadway to Lee Mills for a service when we first moved to Devon and wasn’t that impressed it’s them either..
That doesn’t surprise me in the least.

It gets a bit confusing as the titled 'Devon' branch is at Lee Mill whilst the other Devon one is called 'Exeter'.  shrugg

Incidentally, many years ago, Martins operated from Lee Mill as well as Exeter and until recently still owned the Lee Mill site where Marquis trade. They may still own it for all I know.

What I do know is that the Lee Mill branch has been haemorrhaging staff.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:12 pm

I have to say that I've only had personal contact with Marquis twice, the Tewksbury branch, several years apart and with a problem mid-trip and I have to say that both times they really went out of their way to get me going again then and there. I have no doubt of the validity of comments I've read over the years but I can only speak as I find.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:19 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I have to say that I've only had personal contact with Marquis twice, the Tewksbury branch, several years apart and with a problem mid-trip and I have to say that both times they really went out of their way to get me going again then and there.  I have no doubt of the validity of comments I've read over the years but I can only speak as I find.
They must have their good points, Peter, or they’d not still be in business.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:21 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:
They must have their good points, Peter, or they’d not still be in business.

I've dealt with several dealers over the years and have a great liking for some of their management teams, but every one of those dealers has let me down on a technical matter at some time.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:26 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I have to say that I've only had personal contact with Marquis twice, the Tewksbury branch, several years apart and with a problem mid-trip and I have to say that both times they really went out of their way to get me going again then and there.  I have no doubt of the validity of comments I've read over the years but I can only speak as I find.
This could be because Tewksbury is local to Willersey and A-S who own Marquis keep a closer eye on them.  That said, if I had a problem mid-trip and I was near Tewksbury, I would go to the A-S Service Centre who I have always found to be OK.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:40 pm

A-S don't own Marquis, Auto-Sleepers and Marquis are in all but name the same company run by the same Directors Michael David CROUCH and Geoffrey SCOTT, both companies have their registered address as Orchard Works, Willersey, Broadway, Worcestershire, WR12 7QF. Marquis Leisure is the trading name of Auto-sleepers.  

In January 2017, the Trigano group announced the acquisition of the company Auto-Sleepers Investments Ltd (ASI), manufacturer and dealer of leisure vehicles in the United-Kingdom. Since the acquisition of SEA, TRIGANO was a minority shareholder of the company. The two managers of ASI remained in office.

Established in 1961, the company has developed the manufacturing of motorhomes sold under the brand Auto-Sleepers, which hence is one of the oldest European brands. ASI is also active for several years in the distribution of motorhomes and caravans, which, under the brand Marquis, became the UK's leading recreational vehicle sales network. Auto-Sleepers employs 386 people and achieved a turnover of M£ 121 in 2016.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please don't take offence Monty but I like things to be correct, Auto-sleeper Investments has five directors,  three of whom are from the French family who own Trigano. The two other directors are each responsible for one of of the Trigano brands of Auto-sleeper and Marquis.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:27 pm

Thanks Peter for tidying this up, I couldn't figure out the French connection properly, my understanding from Companies house is that the two British Directors are jointly responsible for both Marquis and Auto-sleeper as both are listed for each company.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Each of these Directors heads up ten different companies though some are Dormant but not removed from the register, oh for a simple life

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:36 pm

Technically they are 2 separate limited companies which is why AS refuse input into any dispute with Marquis. The fact that they may have directors in common, does not make either company liable for any 'cross border' issues.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:38 pm

How convenient!!!!!!!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:04 pm

Maybe but it’s the way many businesses are run. Each Ltd Co is an entity in its own right irrespective of directors. That’s how one company can be wound up due to insolvency while its fellow companies continue and there’s no liability for one company to financially bail out the other.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

groundhog and gassygassy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:54 pm

I had a dreadful aftersales experience after buying a new van from Marquis Tewksbury, admittedly it was quite a while ago ( i have had two new vans since then) but, kept my promise not to darken their doorstep again, I now travel a further 100 miles for a better dealer.

Had so many problems getting simple things fixed, after returning about six times for the same fault they eventually sent a auto electrician to my home and he told me that the service manager used to be a butcher before becoming a service manager, as I said to the auto electrician (take it from mate, he still is a butcher)

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:47 am

On my Bourton I'm just discovering the delights of "Let's use a microprocessor instead of a switch and two wires" which pervades vehicle manufacturers worldwide. A simple example are the ceiling touch sensitive lights in AutoSleepers. They are just a showroom gimmic, of no practical benefit, and as children can't reach them, an absolute shambles of an idea. My hab door step has stopped working. I am bypassing the faulty computer and fitting a switch which should have been installed in the first place. I will post about it in detail elsewhere otherwise I will drift far too off topic. Whistle1
I am not surprised that technicians in all MH dealers are confused and can't fix things. Brownhills failed on three attempts to fix an electrical fault on a Rapido - I suspect that all motorhomes have faults, and dealers are unable to fix them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Lins02 Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:20 pm

Do you happen to know how the vehicle battery warning was fixed? I just took delivery of mine last week and it’s doing the exact same thing when connected to EHU. Thanks!
Lins02
Lins02

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:40 am

Hi Lins02.
The zero volts vehicle battery warning light and screaming piezo buzzer is a non-optional extra feature of Sargent EC700 systems. I fixed it by removing the control panel above the door, separating the printed circuit from the perspex panel and ripping the beeping beeper off the PCB. As it now resides in a landfill in China somewhere, the beeping beeper is no longer annoying me. 
The panel would still show the battery as 0v but you and I (not Sargent) know that it is jolly well not 0v.
I also had to rewire the mains leads leading into the EC700 box under the seat because they have managed  failed to squash two mains lead wires into several of the connecting plug pins, which are only designed to take one wire per pin. One of the mains wires was frayed during their crimping process, leaving just one or two of the thin conductors connected, which then decided to separate altogether from the plug making an intermittent contact, resulting in three 13A mains sockets not working and sparks in the box.
I also had a fire in the wardrobe caused by an overheating light. However I don't know whose faulty wiring or faulty replacement bulb that caused that.
Unfortunately Sargent electrics are the best reason not to buy an AutoSleeper, or Autotrail or any other UK motorhome that uses their electrics.

Can you intoduce yourself to the forum please? There is lots of useful information to be had here.
autosleeper-ownersforum.com/f36-asof-welcome-section-new-members-please-introduce-yourself-here

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:26 am

groundhog wrote:Very much the case their is good and bad in all of them. Unlike Tinwheeler my experience of Marquis Plymouth was excellent but that was a few years ago. Has no call to use them and probably wouldn't now but would find a good independent for repairs.
Happy to report since clearing the initial issues and there were plenty the van has been 100%.
Seems all these vans are the same these days and faults are inevitable no matter what make.

Groundhog: I bought my used Kingham from Eden in Scorrier. I think they are principally buyers and sellers but between them and their local contacts they sorted out various warranty and other issues very well. Since I live a long way away they were also happy for me to arrange local repairs, and indeed I did some jobs myself. I just kept a list of reasonable costs, kept them in the loop and after the warranty expired sent them the list, which they paid in full without question. All in all very satisfactory and even if they cannot help you directly I am sure that Joe Lines there would point you in the right direction.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:58 am

Joe is the ex-manager of Marquis Lee Mill/Plymouth and also buying manager of the whole Marquis company. He’s not perfect but far better than the current manager at Lee Mill.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Davies500 Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:15 pm

As we recall the fuse was upgraded.  I believe it was originally a 25 amp in line with the handbook, the technician increased it to a 30 amp and the problem went away.  My husband did ask for written confirmation that this was ok but the request was declined.
Davies500
Davies500

Female

Lins02 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lins02 Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:36 pm

Davies500 wrote:As we recall the fuse was upgraded.  I believe it was originally a 25 amp in line with the handbook, the technician increased it to a 30 amp and the problem went away.  My husband did ask for written confirmation that this was ok but the request was declined.
Thanks! 

Waiting to hear back from the dealer I purchased it from so will mention this!
Lins02
Lins02

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lins02 Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:38 pm

gassygassy wrote:Hi Lins02.
The zero volts vehicle battery warning light and screaming piezo buzzer is a non-optional extra feature of Sargent EC700 systems. I fixed it by removing the control panel above the door, separating the printed circuit from the perspex panel and ripping the beeping beeper off the PCB. As it now resides in a landfill in China somewhere, the beeping beeper is no longer annoying me. 
The panel would still show the battery as 0v but you and I (not Sargent) know that it is jolly well not 0v.
I also had to rewire the mains leads leading into the EC700 box under the seat because they have managed  failed to squash two mains lead wires into several of the connecting plug pins, which are only designed to take one wire per pin. One of the mains wires was frayed during their crimping process, leaving just one or two of the thin conductors connected, which then decided to separate altogether from the plug making an intermittent contact, resulting in three 13A mains sockets not working and sparks in the box.
I also had a fire in the wardrobe caused by an overheating light. However I don't know whose faulty wiring or faulty replacement bulb that caused that.
Unfortunately Sargent electrics are the best reason not to buy an AutoSleeper, or Autotrail or any other UK motorhome that uses their electrics.

Can you intoduce yourself to the forum please? There is lots of useful information to be had here.
autosleeper-ownersforum.com/f36-asof-welcome-section-new-members-please-introduce-yourself-here
Thanks. As it’s a brand new vehicle and under warranty I will need to get it fixed by the dealer/AS but I can understand why you resolved it as you did!
Lins02
Lins02

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Davies500 Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:57 pm

Since I posted the original comment, there has been much advice and comments for which I thank everyone for their help.

Our biggest outstanding issue, the "why is it burning all our gas when plugged in to EHU?" has been solved!!!  We were planning to attend the Caravan and Motorhome Expo at the NEC and noticed that Truma had a stand there.  

The problem was a known bug in the system, so, as advised, I downloaded the Truma iNetX app, connected to the system,  and the app notifies you of all available updates, so press go and wait, update completes and hey presto problem fixed.

The Truma technician told us to check the app every few weeks or so to make sure we stay up to date.

As an aside reading through all the comments and other topics on the site, its amazing just how much we accept poor workmanship and customer service as almost inevitable, and try to fix the problems ourselves, no matter how much hard earned cash we have parted with, warranty or no warranty.

Going forward our major issues are fixed, some minor ones we will just have to live with.  Friends who have been Motorhoming for many years use a good local company who come to your home and carry out an annual habitation service we will use this.  As Marquis do not offer a service for Peugeot we will take it to our local  Peugeot dealer.

We will keep up with technology, and carry out updates as they become available.
Davies500
Davies500

Female

Lins02 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:05 pm

Hope you enjoy your new van.
Just a quick mention about Peugeot servicing your van. Many of them will not entertain servicing it, I’ve got the smallest Symbol and none of the nearest 5 Peugeot commercial dealers were interested! I ended up going to a local independent 3 miles away, maintained the vehicle warranty and they were much cheaper.
Hopefully your dealer will be able to accommodate you  up!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:44 am

Similar experience to Dbvwt.  The 3 nearest Peugeot dealers that will take a motorhome are each about 50 mins away.  I went to all 3 for warranty work, safety recalls and to have my front TPMS adjusted.  For servicing, including during the warranty period, and now for MoTs, I take it to an independent workshop that I can walk to, who are cheaper and where I can talk to the mechanic doing the job.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:41 am

Caraman wrote:Similar experience to Dbvwt.  The 3 nearest Peugeot dealers that will take a motorhome are each about 50 mins away.  I went to all 3 for warranty work, safety recalls and to have my front TPMS adjusted.  For servicing, including during the warranty period, and now for MoTs, I take it to an independent workshop that I can walk to, who are cheaper and where I can talk to the mechanic doing the job.

Hi Caraman, 

Can you tell me which service centre adjusted your TPMS ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next