The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery issues

4 posters

Go down

Battery issues Empty Battery issues

Post by Brycey Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Hi folks quick questions on batteries.

I have just added another leisure battery to our moho A/S Stanton and know have 2 X 100AH superbatts connected in parallel.

When I'd finished and connected back to the 12v system I then went into the Sargent EC500 PSU system settings and changed the battery Ah setting from 110 to 200.
I was then shocked to see that the battery reading on screen was now showing only 49% Ah left and was in the orange on my display as I had charged both batteries up yesterday individually. It is now plugged in to the EHU and has gradually gone into the green and is now at 59% after most of the day on EHU. Plus there's also two 80Kw solar panels feeding in as well.

Is this normal when connecting two batteries to get a drop like this and as they charge will they equalise as in theory they are now working as one big battery?

Many thanks in advance for your help ladies and gents.

Regards Al and Mary
Brycey
Brycey

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Battery issues Empty Re: Battery issues

Post by BornAgain Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Hopefully you will get responses from people who have direct experience of this, but there are some general principles to follow: use batteries of the same make and type (gel, sealed flooded etc.), use batteries of the same age as the internal characteristics change with age, fully charge both batteries with a proper charger before installing.

In general, if the batteries are mismatched there will be a tendency of the one with the higher internal voltage to charge the other one. What the Sargent unit will make of ll this is difficult to say.
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Apollo Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:01 pm

If you continue through the advanced settings beyond Exit option you will come to Ah starting point , change this to 100%.

Hope this helps.
Rob
Apollo
Apollo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:30 pm

Apollo wrote:If you continue through the advanced settings beyond Exit option you will come to Ah starting point , change this to 100%.

Hope this helps.
Rob

It does sound like the parameters simply need resetting as mentioned. 
I’ve had 3 vehicles that gave the % reading but I’ve never bothered with it, in fact I’d forgotten my EC500 even displayed it! I prefer to monitor the actual voltages of the batteries.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

woodlice and Suppersready like this post

Back to top Go down