The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES

+2
Paulmold
Wearsider
6 posters

Go down

Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES  Empty Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES

Post by Wearsider Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:47 pm

When I bought the above vehicle in May of this year (effectively an AutoSleepers Nuevo) it was with the intention of using it all year round both with and without electric hookup. As members of this forum will know only too well one of its very few shortcomings is that the freshwater and wastewater tanks are underslung, uninsulated and unheated.

I am aware that there are a variety of ways in which the water system can be kept operational during freezing conditions but I would be interested in members experiences of the various approachs to this perennial problem.

In particular I am looking for a solution that involves the minimum of disruption to the existing plumbing and one which is as maintenance free as possible.

I look forward to receiving your thoughts
Wearsider

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES  Empty Re: Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES

Post by Paulmold Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:08 pm

You may like to read through this thread from last October..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES  Empty Winterizing

Post by murph Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Wearsider.
If you put the word internal into the search box at the right top of the page you will find my solution with photos, under extra internal water tanks dont mention water when searching this as it comes up so many times I now use some thick flexible plastic under them in case of leaks which some times occur when filling. I havent done any thing with the waste tank but So far no trouble, though we do not go skiing.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES  Empty Re: Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES

Post by modelman Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 am

Got it all wrong again, sorreeeee.

Last edited by modelman on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:58 am

Wearsider wrote:

In particular I am looking for a solution that involves the minimum of disruption to the existing plumbing and one which is as maintenance free as possible.

Hi there,

Do what we do and go to Spain for the winter! No disruption to plumbing and maintenance free! allthumbz

Seriously, in the UK there is only one solution; DRAIN ALL THE WATER OUT OF EVERYTHING! Insulation WILL NOT protect a static system from freezing if the temperature stays below zero for a sufficient length of time.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Winterising a 2010 Marquis Lancashire II ES  Empty Witerising

Post by murph Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Wearsider,
One other alternative is a heater fitted in the fresh water tank tank close to the pick up pipe, CAK tanks can supply one, look up their website, with regard to the grey water (waste) tank, leave the tap open with a bucket under it if you have any suspicion that it is going to freeze.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Wearsider,
The minimum disruption you are looking for is best described as...NONE.
As has been pointed out, your pipes will freeze in those inaccessible, unheated areas of your van, with the consequent damage.

With three parents, in their mid-nineties, we have to use our van every month on our 'tour of duty'.
With guest bedrooms a thing of the past, parking and living on drives for a week or more in minus double something in the winter has become commonplace. Our 'best' to date is minus 17c.

Leave all of your systems down to air, exactly the same as you would for any winterisation.
Again, as has already been mentioned, carry your water separately internally. We use 4 pint milk bottles - cheap(as in free!), replaceable at regular intervals and easily useable(you can pour straight into the kettle). We carry them in pairs in the smallest Wilko basket in case of weeps. We normally carry four when touring as drinking water, in the winter we just carry more.
Leave the waste drain open at all times, use a bucket if you're not in a 'french' situation.

This is our particular solution, the twenty litre collapsible containers do the same in a smaller volume, but give access/storage issues.
Hope this helps.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Wearsider Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:45 am

Thank you to everybody who has posted their thoughts and/or solutions to the problem at hand.

Wearsider

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down