The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winterising Broadway

+4
-mojo-
PLOUGHLIN
Gromit
seanroberts037
8 posters

Go down

Winterising Broadway Empty Winterising Broadway

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Hi all,

We have 2 more trips planned before December in our moho, then.looking at winterising Ready for storage, can someone tell me what the best practice is for this, I know i have to drain the water.down via the tap outside, but is there anything else i should know or do, the storage centre also offers a startup service as well & going to take them up on that offers, any comments much appreciated as i dont want to do any damagae to our moho.

Cheers

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Winterising Broadway Empty Re: Winterising Broadway

Post by Gromit Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi Sean

Very wise to ask before winter sets in.

I think your best bet is to search the forum. It has all been said so many times, and a quick trawl will bring you all the information you need - in triplicate. The last discussion on this theme was only yesterday, so you will find it easily enough.

I'd suggest you make yourself a simple checklist, just so you don't forget anything. (Please don't ask how I know that shower heads split if the tap is not opened to drain them down!! Whistle1 )
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:44 pm

By start up service, do you mean periodically start the engine? I would find out exactly what they intend. Starting the engine without letting the engine and exhaust system get up to full working temperature can seriously damage the engine.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:56 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:By start up service, do you mean periodically start the engine? I would find out exactly what they intend. Starting the engine without letting the engine and exhaust system get up to full working temperature can seriously damage the engine.
Hi,

Yeah they start the engine and let it run for about 30mins!!! i also.have the abiliyy of.going down there to do.the odd thing on it, what would you suggest?

Cheers

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:47 pm

seanroberts037 wrote:
Yeah they start the engine and let it run for about 30mins!!!

This is not at all good for many engines, because wear is highest from cold and the various parts (e.g. the cams) can wear badly if it sits there at idle revs for long periods. It's also very bad for the exhaust, as it is unlikely to get hot right to the back with 30 mins at idle, so acidic condensation will accumulate in it.

It's far better to take it out for a 30 min+ drive once every few weeks, as this also takes the surface rust off the brake disks/drums and reduces the chance of pitting and rust flakes building up.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi Sean, please abide to all advice generated from your enquiry. If I may also contribute, recommend that all cupboards including bathroom and fridge freezer remain open, soft furnishings kept away from side walls and as little as possible other soft material. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 pm

And to add to Paramedic's suggestion (which reminded me of this) I would suggest you lift the bed seats and prop them up to let the air in. You can't have too much air flow, as static and possibly damp air can cause problems. This would not only "air" both surfaces of the seat cushions, but would discourage any mould forming in the enclosed space below.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 am

You might also consider putting a length of polythene between the windscreen wiper rubbers and the windscreen in order to stop the wipers sticking or freezing to the glass. We use off cuts from a piece of silicone oven liner and others use corks.  A note on the steering wheel saves you remembering them only as it starts to rain on the M4.

It also helps to prevent sticking if you puff a small amount of talcum powder onto the rubber seals round windows, rooflights and outside locker doors.  It's a good thing to do this once or twice a year anyway.

I always take the curtains out of their tie-backs and leave them drawn a little when we leave the van.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:41 am

Good suggestions again Quilter.

I hadn't thought of spreading the curtains, but they could hold damp air in the folds and encourage mildew. It's all common sense really, but not always easy to think of everything.

It may also be worth a gentle spray or wipe over with rust preventer on the cab seat bases. (Not WD40 unless you like the smell!!) On the previous van ours picked up a few rust spots. Not serious, but unsightly and difficult to deal with afterwards without leaving obvious marks.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PedairOlwyn Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 pm

AS's own Handbook has excellent and valid guidelines on winterisation.
PedairOlwyn
PedairOlwyn

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:31 pm

PedairOlwyn wrote:AS's own Handbook has excellent and valid guidelines on winterisation.
Yes indeed, but a bit late for Sean as he was worried about last winter!  biggrin

Worth noting though, as there have already been queries about the coming cold weather, and there will be more.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:37 pm

how funny....i thought the OP was going to be about 'winterising' the van so that it could be used in winter more easily, rather than about parking it up somewhere for months....
surely the MH looks at you with eager eyes every time you pass it.....come on, take me out.....mans best friend?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm

The other way to keep the wipers off the windscreen is use a wine bottle cork.... Chateauneuf  du Pape seems to work well.... hugegrins . I also never park the van with the handbrake on, when we had a manual it would always be stored in gear with wheels chocked. Auto its just in park! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down