The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habitation door failing to lock with key fob

+7
petermcd
PLOUGHLIN
Caraman
Caslon
Mids
Ready to go
Kay
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Habitation door failing to lock with key fob  Empty Habitation door failing to lock with key fob

Post by Kay Sun May 21, 2023 12:24 pm

Dear AS owners today I have discovered that our habitation door is failing to lock with the key fob again! This happened last September and the door locking mechanism was replaced. We have tried the re-synch suggestions we have read on this forum but none have been successful in getting the habitation door to lock with the key fob. Anymore suggestions please?  (We collected the motorhome from the AS factory yesterday after having a stress fracture fixed. We pressed the fob saw the step go in and did not check the door had actually locked. AS allowed us to collect the motorhome on a Saturday when the factory is closed from a security man. AS had failed to replace the sealant they had removed at the back of the worktop, so I would advise all future collectors of their motorhomes to collect when the factory is open.)
Kay
Kay

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB Peugeot
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Habitation door failing to lock with key fob  Empty Habitation door lock

Post by Ready to go Sun May 21, 2023 12:45 pm

I think I had a similar experience a few weeks ago.
However, I found that by unlocking all doors (front and back) and then pressing the central button on the key fob, they all locked again as they should.
Hope this might help...
Ready to go
Ready to go
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Habitation door failing to lock with key fob  Empty Re: Habitation door failing to lock with key fob

Post by Mids Sun May 21, 2023 3:05 pm

No unfortunately  that did not work
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Habitation door failing to lock with key fob  Empty Re: Habitation door failing to lock with key fob

Post by Caslon Sun May 21, 2023 4:41 pm

If AS used the key rather than the fob, you may find the lock is not in the right position after using the key, so using the fob will not lock it.
Caslon
Caslon

Male

Auto-Sleeper : .
Vehicle Year : .

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun May 21, 2023 6:16 pm

I've had this problem for several months.  I've tried everything.  I can hear the mechanism clicking inside the habitation door when lock and unlock are pressed on the central locking fob.  I'm itching to take the door apart to I can inspect the internal mechanism but I don't know how to do it.  My habitation service is due soon when I will ask the technician for ideas.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Sun May 21, 2023 6:53 pm

Hi Caslon do you  know what the right position  would be?
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun May 21, 2023 7:01 pm

On mine it is vertical, ie mid way between lock and unlock.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Sun May 21, 2023 7:10 pm

Thanks that is where mine is .so must be a  fault with the actual  lock?
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caslon Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 pm

would you believe it, it is now happening to me, will lock by the key and will unlock by the fob.
now trying to remember how I fixed it
Caslon
Caslon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Sun May 21, 2023 7:38 pm

If you do please let me know
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by petermcd Mon May 22, 2023 9:51 am

We had this issue on our new Broadway. Re-sequencing did work for a while but problem reappeared. Have not got around to dismantling but find it works ok every time if I press the internal handle ‘in’ when exiting the van and closing the door.
A proper solution is on my ‘to do’ list.
Peter M
petermcd
petermcd

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by petermcd Mon May 22, 2023 10:22 am

On re-reading my posting it seems poorly described :-

1.   Exit van
2.   Before closing hab.door press internal handle ‘in’
3.   Close door firmly
4.   Lock van using key fob 

Works every time for us.

Peter M

PS I always double click the lock button of fob to ‘deadlock’ van …. do this on my car too.
petermcd
petermcd

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon May 22, 2023 12:05 pm

I've just tried this and it doesn't work for me.  When I press the internal handle in, it doesn't go very far in and certainly not as far in as it goes when locking the closed hab door from the inside the van.  When I lock it from the inside and try and use the fob to unlock, the internal handle moves out a bit but not enough to allow the door to be opened from the outside without using the key.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Wed May 24, 2023 10:36 pm

Try cleaning the electrical contacts found on the edge of the door and on the matching position on the door opening frame. Then a very thin smear of Vaseline (a conductive grease) on both.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 25, 2023 6:46 am

KMRTOPAZ wrote:Try cleaning the electrical contacts found on the edge of the door and on the matching position on the door opening frame. Then a very thin smear of Vaseline (a conductive grease) on both.
Keith
I did that the first time the Metallarte habitation door central locking stopped working, which was about 3 years ago, and it did the trick.  The fault I have now is different.  Power is definitely reaching the door as I can clearly hear the mechanism clicking inside the door but its not locking or unlocking it.  It's been like it now for several months.  This is why I want to get at the mechanism inside the door to see what the problem is but I can't see how to remove the door panel to gain access to it.  When my habitation service is done in a couple of weeks I will ask about it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Thu May 25, 2023 9:56 am

Been told by autosleeper  that  on all new vans the habitation  door has to be locked with the key. As they  have realised  that  they get many people  reporting a fault with the key fob not locking  the habitation  door.
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 am

Mids wrote:Been told by autosleeper  that  on all new vans the habitation  door has to be locked with the key. As they  have realised  that  they get many people  reporting a fault with the key fob not locking  the habitation  door.
I was aware that was the case for new M-B conversions but not Peugeot conversions.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:19 am

An update on my door problem.  A man from Lippert who I understand is an American company that have taken over Metallarte which doesn't exist anymore, discovered a small piece of plastic had broken off my habitation door's internal locking mechanism which meant the servo motor wasn't engaging with anything.  (The locking mechanism looked remarkably similar to a photo of the Hartal's mechanism shown in another thread.)  Part replaced and central locking now working but not central un-locking.  The only way of unlocking the habitation door is currently from the inside the van having gained entry through the cab door.  He believes it's an adjustment problem and is taking advice from Italy where the door is manufactured.  So not quite there yet.  As an aside, at my request he refitted the internal door handle the other way around so that I can open the cutlery drawer more fully when the habitation door is shut.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Habitation door failing to lock with key fob  Empty Habitation lock

Post by Adyjenny Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:47 am

I too have had this problem. It has happened twice and have no ideal how we sorted it. Talking to the dealer we bought from they said it was to do with the long string of codes in the key fob. If a certain pattern e.g. just opening the habitation door is repeated a great many times the central locking mechanism gets confused and is out of sync. He told us to make sure we sometimes opens the cab doors as well. As this has only just happened time will tell.
Adyjenny
Adyjenny

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:04 am

I wonder if there is any connection between the hab door lock and the vehicle ignition system? My Mercedes based Bourton has a definite system for starting the engine, which quite honestly is really really incompetent computerisation and annoying. I press the 'start' button (what's wrong with putting a metal key in a slot and turning it I wonder). A message on the dash says 'key not detected. Place the key in the area specified" or something like that. I look in the owners manual and it says the key must be in the cab area, anywhere between the two front doors and anywhere from floor to ceiling. It is in this area so I shout at the stupid woman hidden in the dashboard somewhere, who sometimes asks :"How can I help you" to which I respond "SHUTTUP AND GO AWAY. THE KEY IS IN THE SPECIFIED AREA".
After some days of fumbling about and trying methods a to r I discover the real method of starting the engine: with the key in the specified area, naturally.
1) Operate the 'central lock' button on the key fob. Wait for all the locks to lock.
2) Operate the 'central unlock' button on the key fob. These two presses of course include locking and unlocking the hab door. Wait for all the locks to unlock.
3) Press the 'engine start' button. This unleashes a flurry of flashing lights and flying-about needles on the instrument display. Then after a bit the engine starts.

. . . . . now I'll go and see if I can work out how to un-stick the jammed hab door locking mechanism . . . . .  .

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Heebson Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:34 pm

Caraman wrote:An update on my door problem.  A man from Lippert who I understand is an American company that have taken over Metallarte which doesn't exist anymore, discovered a small piece of plastic had broken off my habitation door's internal locking mechanism which meant the servo motor wasn't engaging with anything.  (The locking mechanism looked remarkably similar to a photo of the Hartal's mechanism shown in another thread.)  Part replaced and central locking now working but not central un-locking.  The only way of unlocking the habitation door is currently from the inside the van having gained entry through the cab door.  He believes it's an adjustment problem and is taking advice from Italy where the door is manufactured.  So not quite there yet.  As an aside, at my request he refitted the internal door handle the other way around so that I can open the cutlery drawer more fully when the habitation door is shut.
Resurrecting an old thread, but we’ve had the central (non) locking problem reoccur recently (nope, no idea how it got ‘fixed’ the last time)

We’d been living with just remembering to manually push in the Hab door lock before locking, but now unlocking doesn’t work - which is a bigger pain!

Did you ever get this completely resolved?

Also - don’t suppose you could share a picture of your reversed door handle? It’s a PITA!

Thnx,
Heeb
Heebson
Heebson

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:30 am

Heeb,

Photo of reversed door handle below.  As you can see it allows the cutlery drawer to open a little further.  I have experienced no disadvantage to it being this way around and as you can see, it looks OK.

The saga of my door isn't quite over.  Through experimentation I discovered that if I didn't pull on the outside door handle after centrally locking it to confirm it was locked, it centrally unlocked OK.  I shared this with the man from Lippert and at his request sent him a video of it so he could send it to Italy for advice.  What came back were two new components - a new outside door handle mechanism and a new internal door mechanism.  The man from Lippert sent them to me along with a replacement internal handle so I could fit them myself which I haven't done yet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Heebson and gassygassy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:00 pm

I did successfully fix my central locking. I took the inner skin off and found the lower catch spring was broken, got two new ones from A/S, fitted one and kept one (where I kept it, I can't remember scratch head ) for future use. Now it all works properly. Of course I changed the inner pull-shut handle as in Caramans picture above and it works fine.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Heebson Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:13 pm

gassygassy wrote:I did successfully fix my central locking. I took the inner skin off and found the lower catch spring was broken, got two new ones from A/S, fitted one and kept one (where I kept it, I can't remember scratch head ) for future use. Now it all works properly. Of course I changed the inner pull-shut handle as in Caramans picture above and it works fine.
Could you tell me how you got the trim off please?

While I’m asking 😁, was there a part number for the spring?

Thnx,
Heeb
Heebson
Heebson

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caslon Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:27 pm

Not on a Nuevo, but looks a similar habitation door

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caslon
Caslon

Male

Heebson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next