The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Propane gas in France

5 posters

Go down

Propane gas in France Empty Propane gas in France

Post by airevalley Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:44 pm

Hello folks,
We are currently travelling through Spain and will shortly enter France, as at 4th April 2023.

We started out with Calor propane bottles bought in UK before our departure but i fear that we may run out before the end of our trip.

I gather that the French bottles use a different connector to UK.

If this is the case, my question is, do i simply buy a Frence bottle and a new hose or can i buy an adaptor that will screw on to my UK hose to allow me to connect this to the French bottle ?

Also, will my existing regulator still do the trick or do i need a new French one ?

I would have tried sorting this in Spain, as i gather that the connectors are the same (??) however the Spanish bottles are too big (and fat) for my cupboard.

Thanks in anticipation,
Allan
airevalley
airevalley

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Propane gas in France Empty Re: Propane gas in France

Post by IanH Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here is my solution, Campingaz easily available all over Europe, even UK. We use the Calor propane in UK, the Campingaz in Europe. When first bottle is empty we swap to the 2nd one. Should we be unable to find Campingaz, we then use the Propane until we do.....The two hoses are simply tee'd and whichever we want to use (only one at a time) we simply open that valve having first ensured the other is closed.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by airevalley Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:55 pm

A very interesting solution Ian, thanks.
(I have three such butane bottles but they are back at home in the UK 😟)

I inderstand that propane and butane use a different regulator though.

Is this true? Is that factored into  your setup ??

Cheers, AV
airevalley
airevalley

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:20 pm

The only regulator which fits a Campingaz bottle is a Campingaz one. The output of that is, in my case, tee'd as you can see in the pic to the van gas pipe..
Both Calor propane, and Campingaz regulators are of different pressures for the calorific values of the 2 different gases, Campingaz is Butane, Propane is, well, propane.
That is why, in my case, only one source is allowed at any one time, ie, only one bottle valve is ever open.

If you are unsure re this, best not do it.....gas isn't to be buggered about with, but if done as I do, then I am happy.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:29 pm

Just in case there’s any misunderstanding, Campingaz butane as used by Ian should not be confused with Calor butane which is also contained in blue cylinders.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by airevalley Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:07 am

All good information gents, thankyou. 
Yes, i am aware that i don't want to be buggering about where gas is concerned ! 👍

After all this, i think i will wait until i get to france and if needs be, source the neccessary gas bottle and connections at a motorhome dealer or garage. That way, i will have a French bottle for my next trip that i can exchange when needed 

Thanks again for your inputs 👍
airevalley
airevalley

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:58 pm

We also use a Campingaz R907 cylinder instead of Calor for our trips to France as it is widely available in most of the major supermarkets and DIY outlets there.  

It is also available here in the UK as well as over much of Europe. 

The regulator can also be purchased here so you will know you are all set before you go. 

The website has a store locator:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by airevalley Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:13 pm

Smashing, thanks Roger. 
Simply because our motorhome came with a propane setup, I really had no idea that we could run our hob, oven, waterheater and fridge on Butane. 

Cheers, AV
airevalley
airevalley

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:03 pm

airevalley wrote:Hello folks,
We are currently travelling through Spain and will shortly enter France, as at 4th April 2023.

We started out with Calor propane bottles bought in UK before our departure but i fear that we may run out before the end of our trip.

I gather that the French bottles use a different connector to UK.

If this is the case, my question is, do i simply buy a Frence bottle and a new hose or can i buy an adaptor that will screw on to my UK hose to allow me to connect this to the French bottle ?

Also, will my existing regulator still do the trick or do i need a new French one ?

I would have tried sorting this in Spain, as i gather that the connectors are the same (??) however the Spanish bottles are too big (and fat) for my cupboard.

Thanks in anticipation,
Allan
There is an adapter to convert a UK butane bottle to a UK propane POL regulator or hose. That adapter fits the French bottles, whether butane or propane as they both have the same outlet. When I go to France I use a French 13kg propane bottle with a 6kg Calor propane as backup. Not sure if you can buy that adapter in France though. You should be able to buy a pigtail or regulator though, depending on whether you have a bulkhead or cylinder regulator.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by airevalley Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:22 am

Thankyou Ron. I think you have answered my original question. 
I will source the French propane, connecting hose and regulator as needed when i get to France. ~ (Still enjoying the searing heat of The Basque country as i write)
AV
airevalley
airevalley

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by airevalley Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:29 pm

Just a quick update to this thread. 

I am now in France...    today i called for food supplies at a large Intermarche. While the better half did the shopping, i perused the gas crates (like you do).  Just a few minutes later, the gas truck trundled in and we quickly struck up a conversation. He was very helpful, offering me a couple of empty cans to try in the cupboard. He only had 2 sizes, a white, rather bulky metal can and a plastic cube. He also gave me a clip on regulator (i offered him some euro's, honest). 
Any road up, neither bottle will fit in our cupboard...  so i will continue the search. 
Having said all this, i reckon we might just manage with the little bit of UK gas we have for the remainder of the journey.

Cheers for the help...  AV
airevalley
airevalley

Male

Back to top Go down