The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6kg Calor Gas Propane

5 posters

Go down

6kg Calor Gas Propane Empty 6kg Calor Gas Propane

Post by Jaime 007 Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:57 pm

Hello everyone,

We own a Nuevo EK bought new in 2010. Last week I was "wild camping" at an ASOC rally in Winchester and ran out of gas. I didn't have a spare cylinder - yes I have had to sit on the naughty step since I got back!

Recently, I have seen two monitors which claim to be able to accurately measure the amount of gas in the cylinder. They are:

TRUMA LEVELCONTROL which attaches to the underneath of the cylinder sending results to my iphone. 

TRUMA LEVELCHECK which uses ultra - sound to detect the amount of gas in the cylinder. With this one you hold the unit at a right angle to the surface of the cylinder and a green light indicates level of gas.

Any feedback about the above two systems particularly the first one would be gratefully received and /or suggestions for other methods to be used.
Jaime 007
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

6kg Calor Gas Propane Empty Re: 6kg Calor Gas Propane

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:24 pm

Why not get a second cylinder?
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:33 pm

We were on that rally, did we meet?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

6kg Calor Gas Propane Empty 6kg Calor Gas Propane

Post by Jaime 007 Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:15 pm

Yes, I understand why it would seem sensible to have a spare cylinder but I find the space vacated is useful to store other items.

I don't think we did Paul, simply because I didn't attend the social functions. I am not anti-social but I was quite happy with my own company. My wife Linda joined me for the Tuesday night since we had difficulty in finding a cattery for our dear cat Binky.
Jaime 007
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:34 pm

We used to carry 2 x 6Kg which the locker will hold, however they are a pain to get in and out. So we now carry a 6Kg at the rear of the locker and a 3.9Kg at the front. We use the 3.9Kg until it's empty, then change over to the 6Kg just until we swap the 3.9 for a refill, then use that again. The the smaller one is much easier to get in and out and there is room for storage of light bulky items e.g. spare loo rolls etc. within the locker. 

When we go to France, where Calor isn't available, we swap the 3.9 for a Campingaz 907 which we can swap there for a refill if required, again using the larger Calor for short term backup. Works well for us.

I know the cost per Kg of gas is a bit more for the smaller cylinder but we don't use much as we're usually on EHU and it's worth paying the extra for less hassle.

I don't believe any of the level indicator systems are very accurate so I guess you just need to balance the value of the extra storage space versus the inconvenience of running out of gas for lack of a backup.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Avontourist Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:30 pm

just weigh the bottle , minus the cylinder weight and you can tell what it contains .
Avontourist
Avontourist

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down