The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3.9KG Calor Gas Propane

+10
Ben485
Minormatt
shipbadger
Lily
Peter Brown
IanH
Petesymphony
roli
Paulmold
danja100
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3.9KG Calor Gas Propane Empty 3.9KG Calor Gas Propane

Post by danja100 Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi all,

I've been unable to find any stocks in the northwest of the 3.9kg Calor propane for about 6 months. I've spoken to Calor HQ and the local distribution centre and they cite Brexit and a lack of steel as causes for unavailability. They both told me there is no light at the end of the tunnel any time soon. I have two empties so that isn't the issue.

I wondered if anyone else is having a problem and if so what anyone might suggest as a solution.

The 3.9 KG calor tanks are the only ones that fit in the internal Duetto gas locker and I really don't want to start sawing holes in the cupboard to accomodate a bigger bottle. It would not be gas sealed.

Thank you.
danja100
danja100

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

3.9KG Calor Gas Propane Empty Re: 3.9KG Calor Gas Propane

Post by Paulmold Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Have you tried a 6kg bottle. I had a Symphony which had a similar gas cupboard and I could fit a 6kg and a 3.9 together.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by danja100 Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Thank you. I will measure it buy I think the 6kg is both too tall and wide but thanks for the idea.
danja100
danja100

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:25 pm

Where have you tried ?   Any outside Manchester ?

I know Calor have shut their own depots for caller collect, but there are places like B&Q, GO OUTDOORS, Morrisons, there are quite a few listed in Warrington, Garden Centres or a long shot marine suppliers such as Claymore Navigation at Preston Brook
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by danja100 Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Thank you. I've phoned almost all the stockists listed on the calor site and visited loads outside South Manchester but no one has any and they all tell you they have had the back order in for months but Calor HQ don't seem to have any idea of when they might be able to supply again, quite worrying really. Appreciate the replies, thank you.
danja100
danja100

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:25 pm

There must be some out there, Tenthire of Walsall are listing loads on eBay as available both for outright sale or exchange.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

3.9KG Calor Gas Propane Empty 3.9 kg gas bottle

Post by Petesymphony Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:36 pm

I also owned a Symphony several years ago, if you look in the Autosleeper handbook supplied with the vehicle it will tell you the bottle sizes that fit the locker. I hope this helps, if you have not got the book maybe someone on the forum can help (if they have one) smile!
Petesymphony
Petesymphony
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : INCA EK 2.8 HDi
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:19 pm

Paulmold wrote:Have you tried a 6kg bottle. I had a Symphony  which had a similar gas cupboard and I could fit a 6kg and a 3.9 together.
Same in Harmony I think. Bottle dimensios very easy to find on google
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:08 pm

My '99 Duetto would not take any Calor bigger that 3.9.

Your empty bottles are refillable - I can recommend a supplier in Pompeii, I'm sure someone n the UK can do it.

I think your best option for the moment is to switch to a Campingaz bottle and regulator, the biggest that will fit your locker. The downside is that they are Butane not Propane and expensive but they are available Europe wide.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:40 pm

My Topaz was supplied a year ago with NO gas bottles.   A local dealer swapped  my ex caravan butane bottle for a full 3.9 propane.
I like to have a second bottle and managed to swap another large butane for a 3.9 propane from a passing canal boat fuel supplier on the Shroppie. I was told all that was needed was a bottle, gas or size did not matter!
Lily
Lily

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by danja100 Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks all. My 2000 Duetto can only take the 3.9 kg Calor bottles. They are in extremely short supply and you hear the same story about Brexit and steel shortages wherever you try even if you have an empty to refill. If you don't have an empty then you have no chance as they are not for sale at all at any Calor vendor until the ban is lifted and stock starts to return. Calor are aware of the problem and have imposed this policy. If anyone finds any stocks of 3.9KG propane anywhere I'd be so grateful to know where, I have 2 empties. Thank you all for your replies and happy (if not chilly!) New Year!
danja100
danja100

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:44 am

The whole business of what should be in a caravan or motorhome when purchased, especially second hand is a rather grey area and depends upon custom and practice.  In my caravanning days gas bottles and habitation batteries were removed and the new owner expected to supply their own.  when I changed to motorhomes the batteries stayed in the vehicle (possibly as they are more difficult to remove) and you were expected to leave at least one gas cylinder for the next owner.  This makes sense as all the appliances can be demonstrated to a potential buyer.  Is this sort of thing just local to my area or is this the accepted way elsewhere?

Calor for some time refused to accept an exchange of one type of cylinder for another.  I had inherited quite a few of the large butane cylinders and was unable to swop them for any size propane.  No receipt also meant no cash back.  Eventually after having given a number away my local dealer swapped butane for propane without compaint.  Recently I believe Calor have actually held an amnesty for cylinders without the paperwork.  From my own observations there are still lots of cylinders in farm and builders yards where the effort needed to return them is not worth the time or cost.

Tony Comber
shipbadger
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Minormatt Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:17 pm

Is there still a shortage of the 3.9kg bottles?  I know it was a problem when I was on the Isle of Wight last year - but has it been resolved?

Male

Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben485 Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:58 am

Buy a small flogas bottle any type from FB Market place and then exchange that at a flogas stockists for some strange reason the difficulties stated by Calor have not effected them
Ben485
Ben485

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:13 pm

shipbadger wrote:The whole business of what should be in a caravan or motorhome when purchased, especially second hand is a rather grey area and depends upon custom and practice.  In my caravanning days gas bottles and habitation batteries were removed and the new owner expected to supply their own.  when I changed to motorhomes the batteries stayed in the vehicle (possibly as they are more difficult to remove) and you were expected to leave at least one gas cylinder for the next owner.  This makes sense as all the appliances can be demonstrated to a potential buyer.  Is this sort of thing just local to my area or is this the accepted way elsewhere?

Calor for some time refused to accept an exchange of one type of cylinder for another.  I had inherited quite a few of the large butane cylinders and was unable to swop them for any size propane.  No receipt also meant no cash back.  Eventually after having given a number away my local dealer swapped butane for propane without compaint.  Recently I believe Calor have actually held an amnesty for cylinders without the paperwork.  From my own observations there are still lots of cylinders in farm and builders yards where the effort needed to return them is not worth the time or cost.

Tony Comber
you can get £7.50 back and up to 4 bottles with calor bottle but that's taking back to a calor site
if you left a bottle in a camper caravan the dealer removes it so the buyer has to then buy bottles . unless you agree to leave set items like bottles. if you are getting a new camper or caravan would have to get new bottles yourself each time
they have bottles to demonstrate each time. so if they want the sale they need to do what you want this is a good talker to make more money
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by danja100 Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi all. Happy Xmas. I am now completely unable to find any 3.9kg gas bottles from anywhere surround Manchester or Leeds. Is anyone able to advise of anywhere with stock? Not sure of next move if not due to size of gas cupboard not taking anything bigger. 

Thank you.
danja100
danja100

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:37 pm

Why not buy a refillable gaslow bottle and then this takes away a lot of the hunting for stock of bottles, a little expensive to start with but a lot better in the long run 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:41 pm

There are 2 full ones for sale in Darwin advertised on Facebook Marketplace,  not exchange but straight sale at  £45 each if that helps.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by danja100 Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:46 pm

Thank you. Good suggestions. I have thought about the Gaslow option but people keep posting about how hard it is to find places to refill now that petrol stations have been removing the facility so I feel a bit like I can’t win.

Will check out the Facebook Marketplace option. Haven’t used it before so will look. 

Thangs gang as always for your help and speedy replies.
danja100
danja100

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:50 pm

In 15 years of motorhoming with refillable bottles and now a tank we have only had one time where we had to take a long detour to fill up with gas , we are lucky that we have 2 garages within 15miles we’re we fill before every trip if needed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by danja100 Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:03 pm

Great I will look into it. Have you had good experiences in Europe also when refilling? Thanks!
danja100
danja100

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:12 pm

Much easier in Europe, IMHO
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:15 pm

danja100 wrote:Great I will look into it. Have you had good experiences in Europe also when refilling? Thanks!

Sorry not been to Europe with the van

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat May 27, 2023 2:07 pm

My neighbour has just asked me where to get a 3.9KG bottle of propane from (I'm the local MH expert  biggrin ).  I searched the forum and found this post.

It seems that Calor have now officially stopped selling the 3.9KG bottles.  Their advice is to replace with a 6KG bottle but that doesn't work for my neighbour as only a 3.9kg fits in her van.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat May 27, 2023 2:11 pm

Calor had rethink and has decided to carry on with that size 'for the time being' but as far as I can gather, there seems to be little if any availability. You might pick one up off Facebook Marketplace , probably empty and then have to hunt for a refill.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next