The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning size

4 posters

Go down

Awning size Empty Awning size

Post by David Marsh Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:35 am

Last week my 52 year old son took my Burford Duo to Scotland for the week. He has just returned home with it and done all the right things and put it back into it's secure parking. BUT, he had the awning out, without the centre rail, and it rained......a lot. He wasn't aware of the need to lower one side so the rainwater would run off. Consequently the sprung tensioning arm to the front of the motorhome snapped it two places, the awning itself is ripped. Fortunately there's no damage to the motorhome. He did call AS with the reference number as in the glove box and was informed it was a THULE 6200 5 metre. As he was a bit miffed at what happened he tried to secure getting it replaced only to be informed by some that it wasn't a 5 metre but a 4.5 metre. Would anyone here be able to enlighten me as to the correct size that is fitted? I'm unable to go and measure it for myself at the moment but would really wish to get on with getting it replace ASAP.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Awning size Empty Re: Awning size

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:08 pm

Try and get the awning part number from the inside of the front blade it' should be located on the left hand side.
Once you have that,Rose awnings,or Hillside awning should be able to help ( Google for web sites )
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:11 pm

Many thanks for your reply and I am aware of the reference number on the awning. Sadly it took four people to wind the awning back in after the rain incident last week and I’m not about to chance winding it out……..at the moment. I’m going to go up to where the motorhome is stored and physically measure it later today.
Thanks again, appreciate it.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:48 pm

Looking at a picture of Burford Duo , the awning is about 70% of the overall length.

70%  of 7280mm length = 5100, so a 5m awning length appears correct.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:23 pm

I'm sorry to hear of the damage to your awning and I'm sure your son will be devastated that it happened while he was using the van.

My wife and I helped a couple wind the awning back into their Burstner in Germany a few years ago after it incurred the same damage as yours in the same circumstances - trying to keep the dangling bits of the broken arm from digging into the side of the van is a challenge.

This is a timely reminder to all that if you leave a wind out awning unattended (either during the day or whilst in bed) it must be storm proofed with storm ties downs, a slope to back or front and if over 3 m in length a centre rafter installed.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

David Marsh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:26 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Looking at a picture of Burford Duo , the awning is about 70% of the overall length.

70%  of 7280mm length = 5100, so a 5m awning length appears correct.
Thanks for your input. I have just returned from where I have the motorhome in secure storage. I took my tape measure and it is in fact more or less five metres in length.I'll now try and find one.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:29 pm

Sadly these things do happen and my son was devastated. I have been and measured the said awning and it is in fact as near to five metres as possible. Thanks everyone for showing interest, hopefully I can get this one replaced asap.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Back to top Go down