The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled Blue Badge

+2
TeamRienza
CJ1949
6 posters

Go down

Disabled Blue Badge Empty Disabled Blue Badge

Post by CJ1949 Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:47 am

Due to my walking disabilities got a blue badge which I found was particularly helpful when touring around France.

Now discovered that as another result of Brexit its now not recognised within most countries of the EU, including Spain which we plan to tour next year. 
No point taking it now.
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Disabled Blue Badge Empty Re: Disabled Blue Badge

Post by TeamRienza Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Although I fortunately don’t need a badge, I was aware of this change. I seem to recall looking at a website which listed the position in each country.

It certainly doesn’t show the EU in a good light. I should imagine someone will take them to the human rights court eventually. Someone with a dual nationality probably. For instance there are many in N.Ireland with a blue badge (UK issued) but who have Irish citizenship.

However I suspect, like green cards, it might be quietly sorted at some point.

Davy

Link to relevant website.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by TeamRienza on Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link)
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:57 am

This is the 1st time I have seen this important topic raised and thanks Davy for the link.  I have copied the link into Factsheets
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:14 am

"It certainly doesn't show the EU in a good light"

Aren't you forgetting that the UK in its wisdom chose to leave the EU and all the benefits that went with it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:03 am

I am not going to get into the rights and wrongs of leaving the EU, but from a simple humanitarian viewpoint I think the actions of some of the countries is pathetic, indeed despicable.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Apollo, Liam, PLOUGHLIN and Relaxez-Vous like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:40 am

If you take away the emotional side of the discussion, isn't this exactly what you would expect?

The whole rationale for standardisation in Europe was to resolve these sorts of issues. If one country decides not to take part in the standardisation process, how are the rest of the countries going to even know what a "proper" UK blue badge looks like, if you accept that they have to change on a regular basis to deter forgeries?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Jamie D likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Marko wrote:"It certainly doesn't show the EU in a good light"

Aren't you forgetting that the UK in its wisdom chose to leave the EU and all the benefits that went with it.
My sister and brother in law live in Spain (have done for the last 16 years) and are registered as residents and they cannot get a blue badge (my brother in law is wheel chair bound!) from the normal medical/town hall services. 
They have been told that as they are English (regardless of the fact that are officially registered as Spanish residents) they have to apply through the police and the process can take up to 3 years!!
So, after 15 years they have decided to sell their house and return to the UK.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:55 pm

On blue badge for those like me who have had a "blue badge" did you know that the rules have now changed and despite the fact that one of my conditions has no cure and is becoming more acute  and I am awaiting for another operation on my upper spine for a different problem but as I force myself to walk (assisted with stick) I am refused. I am now in the long process of appeal.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down