The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Pump

5 posters

Go down

Water Pump Empty Water Pump

Post by theglove78 Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Hi all

We have experienced a somewhat predicatble problem of a leaky waterpump in our 1996 Autosleeper, but alas, a DIY job no?

But, my feeble brain cannot comprehend how to access the fixing screws underneath the pump??  Theres 2 on top but two underneath which seem utterly inaccessible??  

I have attached a pic which shows the top two screws which is mirrored underneath with access impeded by hot water tank.

Hope this a simple fix - just spent £330 getting the ruddy thermostat housing replaced at our latest stay  so_sad

Clues hints and/or tips welcome.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rob

Last edited by theglove78 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
theglove78
theglove78

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Water Pump Empty Re: Water Pump

Post by Roopert Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Have you checked with a mirror or phone camera to see if the fixings in the metal brackets are slots, rather than holes? I've not seen that specific layout before, but it would not be unusual to have slots so that the bracket slides downwards onto the lower fixings, and then is only tightened at the two screws in the top?

Hopefully it will just be a split in one of the tails, which are not too expensive to replace, I think, compared to replacing the whole pump!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

theglove78 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by theglove78 Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm

Roopert wrote:Have you checked with a mirror or phone camera to see if the fixings in the metal brackets are slots, rather than holes? I've not seen that specific layout before, but it would not be unusual to have slots so that the bracket slides downwards onto the lower fixings, and then is only tightened at the two screws in the top?

Hopefully it will just be a split in one of the tails, which are not too expensive to replace, I think, compared to replacing the whole pump!
Great idea which i have just done!

Sadly its screws underneath the same as on top - ggrrrrrrrr!
theglove78
theglove78

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Boots Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:02 pm

Hi Mr T,

If the top screws are removed and the pump 'n' bracket bent forward the pump 'may' be bolted to the bracket.

If so unbolt, sort pump, re-bolt, bend, screw and job done. up! smile!

Personal opinion!
If not the above I would unscrew, bend bracket forward, slide in thin chisell, hit hard 'n' sharp with a lump hamer, split or force screws out, fix pump, re-mount in a different place.

Have fun

Boots
Boots
Boots

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

theglove78 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Could you reach them with a small socket extension and ratchet fitted with a screwdriver bit scratch head
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by George Collings Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:06 pm

The bracket its bolted to the pump body by a pair of hex headed  8mm seff tapping screws.  As Boots suggests  bend braket to get access.
George Collings
George Collings

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down