The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Pump

+7
rgermain
inspiredron
Paramedic
Wellsgofar
Gromit
dbroada
seanroberts037
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Water Pump Empty Water Pump

Post by seanroberts037 Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi All,

Not too sure if this is right, we have a new auto-sleeper broadway(October 2016) & I can hear what sounds like the water pump kicking in/turning over every so often throughout the day & night, being relative newbies, is this right & we are also finding the hot water takes a day and age to heat up, on ehu!!

Cheers

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Water Pump Empty Re: Water Pump

Post by dbroada Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm

a few of us turn our water pump off at night as we get intermittent" surging" from the pump. Not everybody suffers but it has been a common "feature" to some of us.

I find the water heats up quick enough for our needs but I believe it will take longer on EHU than on gas. If we are in a hurry for super hot water I will turn the supply onto elec/gas mix.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, just a quick question, turning the water pump off at night, that is done on the control panel isn't it, the tap symbol?

I also did read about the mix of gas/elec but i wanted to ask the experts on here, that have or doing the same thing?
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm not sure if the Broadway and Nuevo have the same control panels but assuming they do I turn my water pump on with the (as you said) tap button on the panel by the habitation door.

The power source is controlled by the "other" panel, the one on the outside of our wardrobe wall. Here you push a round knob to select things and rotate the knob to adjust things. Keep fiddling and you will get an idea of what does what. Until you have passed your brain surgery in zero gravity exams it is probably best to leave the timer functions alone. The energy selections are gas only, low power electricity, high power electricity and mix.

Obviously gas is for when you don't have EHU. The two electricity settings are more relevant to the supply you have. Most sites now provide more than 10A but there are still sites - often in France - that will only provide 2A or 4A. On these it is better to select the low electricity setting so that you don't have an internal surge greater than the site can provide. I normally select high power electricity. The mix setting can be used if you have an intermittent electricity supply and the van will automatically switch between the two. I didn't know that until I read the handbook 2 minutes ago.

Keep asking away, there are many people here who are more experienced than I am.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for the info, just found my book & have had a look at the different settings, al lmy controls are above the habitation door & on the energy source selection, I have : -

MIX 1 ELEC900)W +GAS/DIESEL
MIX 2 ELEC(1800)W + GAS/DIESEL
EL 1 ELECTRIC(900)W
EL 2 ELECTRIC(1800)W

So from what i understand what you said, you would choose EL2, but if want hot water in a hurry either mix 1 or 2? Then off with the watrer pump at night?

Cheers
Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:12 pm

dbroada wrote:Until you have passed your brain surgery in zero gravity exams it is probably best to leave the timer functions alone.
I've passed mine and got the tee shirt, but I still can't reliably set the timer. As you say Dave, it's not much trouble to switch on half an hour before you get up.

Speaking to a Truma techie at the show today, he recommended running the heating and/or hot water on gas and electricity at first when it's cold, simply because it's so much quicker using the gas as well. Electricity alone is very slow, specially if you run the water heater at the same time as the space heating.

It sounds like a jet engine when you do that, and I swear you could do toast at the hot air vent. It's very efficient.

As for the water pump, I agree with switching off at night - and when you leave the van. Not because of the pulsing, but if a water pipe connection was to spring open (unlikely I know) the pump would quickly turn the floor of the van into a paddling pool.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Cheers mate for the reply, I am away at the weekend in it so will give this a go  up!
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wellsgofar Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Folks,
I've just come across this thread, our 2016 reg Bourton had the problem with the Whale water pump cycling more often when on Mains, not as bad when on Battery, at first we thought it was air lock or water leakage, but none found. Whilst reading through the various paperwork supplied with the van, I came across a photocopy of information on the Whale sub pump, I am hoping to upload info, but if it doesn't work, the gist is that,  
  If the pump cycles on/off,    "The supply voltage may be to high, because the battery charger is on, ( EHU )  Adjust pressure switch see leaflet 180-10, or "Fit Surge Damper",
Since we had the damper fitted when we are on EHU, the pump very rarely cycles on, and when on battery virtually never, when we visited the factory for some warranty work last August, I showed the service department the Whale leaflet with the info on, they found a surge damper and fitted it. Problem solved
Regards
Alan[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Wellsgofar on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wellsgofar

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Wellsgofar Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Sorry, you'll have to stand up , twist your head to read, but in my previous script its written as highlighted with asterisks.
Regards again
Alan
Wellsgofar

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi all,

I.habe also.read as well it maybe a pressure switch adjustment, As i dont have my book with me, woukd any kind folks know where this switch is, for ref i.jave a 2016 Broadway Fb 

Cheers

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi Sean, just looked in the owner's manual and much mention of pressure switch adjustment etc but not where it is located. The Whale instructions are in the van (away from home). But recall pressure switch is part of the solenoid attached to the internal fresh water fill under offside bench. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:43 pm

On my Nuevo it IS close to the water inlet but so is the pipe that comes UP from the gank into the van. The sort of issue that you describe is common and I have found that the setting of that pressure switch wheel is very critical. Last season I managed to get it right and I had very little "top-up pressure" running of the pump irrespective of whether we were on EHU or not. A surge dsmper will probably help but the hot eater tank acts as a surge dsmper. Remember that as the hot water cools it will contract and that will cause the pump to run to top it up.
On heating the water - the combis give priority to heat, as I recall, so, if I want hot water, I have the heat off for around 30 minutes to give the water priirity.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Urgent help required away in Auto-sleeper Broadway no water at all, can here pump running nothing from.taps at all no idea where pressure switch is

Cheers

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 pm

If the pump is running, I would not think it is any thing to do with the pressure switch.

On my van which has a submerged pump, I have to press the pump on/off button quickly until the water flows. This is to purge the water, to get the air out. Got this info from the dealer who did think that maybe I could do with an external, from tank, pump as this is a known problem, if it annoyed me. I might add it only really happens when the system has been drained.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Richard,

Is that the tap bottom on the control panel?

Cheers

Sesn
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi again Sean, by what you describe, don't think there is a problem with the pressure switch if the pump works continually on demand. So process of elimination....is there fresh water in the tank as illustrated on the control panel? Apologies if a daft question...?? also an airlock in the system could be a cause. Have you tried all taps including bathroom? Need to exercise caution not to run pump dry (if no water). Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:45 pm

rgermain wrote:If the pump is running, I would not think it is any thing to do with the pressure switch.

On my van which has a submerged pump, I have to press the pump on/off button quickly until the water flows. This is to purge the water, to get the air out. Got this info from the dealer who did think that maybe I could do with an external, from tank, pump as this is a known problem, if it annoyed me. I might add it only really happens when the system has been drained.

Richard
It probably is the pressure switch Richard. These pumps/switches are notoriously sensitive to voltage, and ours was a pain in the backside until I had a Shurflo fitted.

Not a moment's problem since then, and when I fill up with water I just switch the pump on - and it works. Cash that I didn't want to spend, fixing a problem that shouldn't be there, but I'm glad I did. Sometimes A/S just go too far with their penny pinching. Those submersible pumps are only about £12, so it's no surprise if they don't work too well!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi all,

I have a full tank and tried opening.all the taps, still no joy
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Point taken Dave, just that I have always thought that if the pump is running, then the switch is demanding. If the pump clicks with the taps shut, I have adjusted until it stops, always worked for me.

Must agree it is very sensitive and the way to go is to fit a Shurflo, never had any problem when I had the Topaz, but this van is a pain.

Just need to find a spare hole for it and joining it up, bit tight on the Warwick.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi Dave,

Is it expensive to fit the pump? This is doing my head in as i wanna use most weekends and away in italy for 2 weeks later so need this sorted.

Cheers

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:42 pm

See if you can find a guide by MoggyMinor if you want to do it yourself.

From memory A/S Service Dept fitted it for about £150, including the cost of the pump. They made a lovely job of it, and it has saved me a load of hassle. If you have the cash available I would recommend it.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:50 pm

Cheers Dave, Just a good.job i.bought bottles water, although got a waterpoint anyway 

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Sean, yes as Gromit says the submersible pumps are rubbish ,mine failed after only 2 years of careful use! Fitting the SHURFLO is quite easy as
Dave says search out Moggy Minors excellent instructions ,although I did personally make it slightly simpler by wiring direct to the battery through fuse and separate switch ,I will try and find the link and let you know    Regards      Paul up!
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 pm

I can't find the link at the moment. The search facility doesn't seem to be very efficient???
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi sean, search for my topic "REDUCED WATER PRESSURE" and that will lead you to Moggys instructions ,best of luck ,any queries just ask!   Regards    Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next