The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inverter size

3 posters

Go down

Inverter size  Empty Inverter size

Post by FreelanderUK Sun May 09, 2021 6:59 pm

I am toying with adding an inverter and another solar panel to the 250w panel and 230ah battery bank, what size inverter for a 800w microwave would I need, and any recommendations, I am a Victron fan boy 

Cheers

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Inverter size  Empty Re: Inverter size

Post by Roopert Sun May 09, 2021 8:03 pm

The general consensus seems to be that you should aim for an inverter that can support a peak at around double the microwave's steady-state power, and with a continuous rating that can be a little less than that - so I would go for an inverter with a continuous rating of 1500 Watts. Try to site it close to the leisure battery, because it will take a peak current of well over 100 Amps.

Anecdotally you'll be lucky if a standard leisure battery survives for long if you use it a lot - Bilbos, who have been converting vans since the 80's, declined to fit an inverter to use with a microwave when I asked them! Their experience was that it would kill the battery within a matter of months - though of course this was before the advent of LiIon batteries, which would be a different matter, and 230 Ah's worth of multiple batteries should be Ok provided that all cells are in good condition. If not, you'll probably find the weaker cells pretty quickly...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun May 09, 2021 9:01 pm

Thanks , it’s just a thought at the moment,we don’t actually use the microwave that much but may be nice to boil a kettle to help save on gas

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 am

Some Solar controllers have the ability to run the fridge if there’s enough power coming in....I know mine does...I’ve just upgraded the solar panel and my Vitron 250 Duo is indicating that it can run the fridge from the solar panel???

I don’t know if it’s practical in the U.k, we don’t have many full sun days....but in Europe it could well work and save you gas that way!!

Im looking at trying it out in due course...otherwise all you’re doing with the Solar power is charging batteries!!!

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed May 12, 2021 11:42 am

My Victron regulator is an Mppt one and not duel, not really bothered about the fried as that is really economical on gas, it’s just the amount of coffees that I drink ☕☕☕☕😁 , cheers

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:Thanks , it’s just a thought at the moment,we don’t actually use the microwave that much but may be nice to boil a kettle to help save on gas
using a 12v supply to boil a kettle (even from free sunshine) seems daft to me...what size kettle do ypu have? we have a 700w camping kettle (for low wattage sites) but id never dream of using it on our inverter in lieu of the tiny bit of gas required to boil enough water for two cuppas....
i know folk are getting twitchy about lpg supplies but we are talking peanuts in volume and cost....certainly against the cost of a 1500w inverter, cabling and the batteries....and any long term effect on them.
shortly, i should be kitted up with 300w solar, an MPPT Votronic and a couple of new batteries, but ill still stick my small stainless steel kettle on the hob for my tea/coffee...
there are some things that gas just happens to be blooming good at....heating things (the van, your hot water, kettles and pans) is one of them.
by comparison, batteries are not cheap and really, really good batteries are mightily expensive....
youd be investing shedloads to save pennies....and your kettle would still take longer to boil as you couldnt sustain any decent wattage...a household kettle would draw 250amps...even my 700w one would pull nearly 60amps.
yes, do the upgrade but just not for a cup of tea when off grid👍
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed May 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Just thought going threw the noggin Chris😁😁, cheers for the reply 👍

Male

Back to top Go down