The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The BBC ..or is it just me?

+26
FreelanderUK
Tinwheeler
Brian Shaw
richard.d.m
Bobskate
babian
TeamRienza
Mike187
pjonesf1
bikeralw
gassygassy
OldWomble
rogerblack
Peter Brown
Paulmold
Adam & Emily
Roopert
RML
rose49f
Cymro
Askit
roli
Gromit
IanH
rgermain
groundhog
30 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The BBC ..or is it just me? - Page 4 Empty Re: The BBC ..or is it just me?

Post by TeamRienza Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:15 pm

With the many outlets that peterm quotes in his post, including a 24 hour news channel, I cannot see why we cannot have news bulletins which simply report the facts as far as they can be proven without the need for the newsreader to comment or have ‘expert’ analysis by a second person often rehashing what the newsreader has just said. I particularly dislike the fact that often a substantial chunk of time is given over to a synopsis of some programme that will be broadcast later that evening. Usually as an ‘exclusive investigative’ piece of journalism.
Interesting that it is only grumpies and brexiteers who complain about the bbc according to Peterm, this would seem to indicate that remainers are happy with the BBC which as a cynic would suggest to me that the organisation must lean towards that direction.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Bobskate wrote:

So beware what you wish for....what’s  the expression about baby and bath water?

A very valid point.

On our travels I once came across a talent show for circus performers on hungarian TV. The four judges only had one microphone that they had to pass to each other and in the scheme of this I have seen (but not actually watched) much worse.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:28 pm

The thing about trailers (as that is what they are called) that I cannot get my head around is when the schedule has slipped.

It's bad enough that programs start before the schedule ( The One Show is often guilty) but if something happens such as an extended or "breaking" news that delays remaining programs they still put in the trailers. Drop the trailers and get the schedule back on track seems logical to me.

The BBC used to be very strict about timetables, now I feel they think they are an inconvenience. I can't quite see the logic behind the Downing Street briefings. They have 30 minutes of waffle beforehand and again 20-30 minutes after. Then they end it with a 3 minute weather report which will be repeated in less than 30 minute later after the news at 6. However they stick it in on BBC 1 and move the BBC1 schedule to BBC2 cancelling the BBC2 schedule. Why not just put it on BBC2 in the 1st place?

I do however know of at least one bit of pure advertising, the Countryfile Calendar. Yes I know it is for a good cause but only about half goes to CiN, the rest is for the publisher and shipping. It is unfair to many other printers and retailers which includes other charities and they push it in every program from October until the following January.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:53 pm

Do remember that the commercial media would like to the BBC privatised; as would many of the senior managers appointed by the government. The BBC was made to have trailer slots to make it the same as ITV by the privatise lobby. How much money do you think the BBC would be worth to a US company? Do you not think that the BBC run scared of the Conservatives? Lobbies have already been successful in stopping or limiting the Beebs online programming because it opened up markets which they wanted.
People complain about the news progs. But they are now the same everywhere. Confined not to news, but to endless speculation by the same 20 people, on only about three topics. Covid, Brexit, and one other. There is very little real news discussed. Immensely important topics get no debate at all, whilst Shouty Carol Malone, the Baldy Fat Guy, an MP, a wet lefty, and a journalist from The Daily Mail tell you what to think on Jeremy Vine on 5, the Papers on Sky and the BBC, 
Question Time and all day long.
Now nobody ever mentions that the BBC is actually the nations biggest advertiser. They invented pop music, fashion, cooking, antiques, green wellies, new books and films and every other fashionable thing without people even knowing they have had their brains sucked out.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Gromit likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:38 am

There was a shocking double killing in Kilmarnock last week. BBC sent 4 reporters that I am aware of (2 network and two BBC Scotland TV) probably sent radio reporters as well.

This seems shocking use of licence fee in my view as one reporter should have been able to provide coverage. Bad enough in normal times but in Lockdown this will be four journalists travelling independently from Glasgow and or Edinburgh, and I would suspect each would need camera crew needing more transport.

Makes me mad to see this needless extravagance when over 75s are losing free licence.. no personal interest as I am a mere 62.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 am

This is one of my gripes Bilbo. Local TV,National TV, and probably Radio. In the North they all work out of Salford.

Whilst the Trump saga was going on I hate to think of how many reporters they had in the USA certainly 2 or 3 in Washington alone. Whats that costing?
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by willy eckerslike Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm

In defence of the beeb, you have to say that they have the most aptly named show of any channel anywhere.  Pointless celebrities !!!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Cymro, Peterm, Silver Tourist, Mike187 and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 am

Why is the BBC's 'job' to provide helplines for folk 'affected' by just about every program on their channel?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:55 am

bolero boy wrote:Why is the BBC's 'job' to provide helplines for folk 'affected' by just about every program on their channel?

They don't, most of the helpline links are to established charities or organisations who provide the advice etc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Yes it's just an information page on where to go for help.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum