The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The BBC ..or is it just me?

+26
FreelanderUK
Tinwheeler
Brian Shaw
richard.d.m
Bobskate
babian
TeamRienza
Mike187
pjonesf1
bikeralw
gassygassy
OldWomble
rogerblack
Peter Brown
Paulmold
Adam & Emily
Roopert
RML
rose49f
Cymro
Askit
roli
Gromit
IanH
rgermain
groundhog
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The BBC ..or is it just me? - Page 3 Empty Re: The BBC ..or is it just me?

Post by Bobskate Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Gromit...why 17th July...something I have missed? I hope not cos I have booked a week away in a hotel on the Isle of Wight towards the end of April. Rash I know but there are no cancellation charges.😀
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm

I see the BBC have highlighted the fact that the UK death total has surpassed 100k yet, every day on the news and their website, they report the numbers relating to deaths following a positive test within 28 days....a slightly lower number....currently 98,531 not counting today's...
So, they got their 'headline' a day or so early....perhaps another one around Thursday?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi Bob

I think it's genuine. There are reports that Boris has quietly extended the legislation to allow for the lockdown to continue until then.

"The British government has extended lockdown laws to give councils the power to close pubs, restaurants, shops and public spaces until July 17, and has also decided to quarantine travelers from high-risk Covid-19 countries for at least 10 days as it is unable to arrest the rising numbers of new Covid variant infections.
The Telegraph reported on Saturday, the British government has quietly extended lockdown laws to give councils the power to close pubs, restaurants, shops and public spaces until July 17."
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 pm

P.S.

"The regulation, which applies to England only, was due to expire last week but has now been extended until July 17, around the date when school summer holidays begin, the Telegraph added."
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by richard.d.m Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:17 pm

here is the link to the BBC survey if anybody wishes to take part bbc.co.uk/send/u61149175
richard.d.m
richard.d.m

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway el

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm

I am not sure it would be a good idea for the government to be too upbeat at the moment. As soon as they do we will have the idiots calling for the lock down released the next day. 

It was bad enough yesterday with Laura Doomsbergh lambasting the health secretary for not telling us when the schools will open
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:11 pm

bolero boy wrote:I see the BBC have highlighted the fact that the UK death total has surpassed 100k yet, every day on the news and their website, they report the numbers relating to deaths following a positive test within 28 days....a slightly lower number....currently 98,531 not counting today's...
So, they got their 'headline' a day or so early....perhaps another one around Thursday?
As it happens, today's death total was so bad that the 'other' method also passed this grim milestone. Very sad situation....looks like cases are continuing to fall, thank goodness, and hospital places also levelling off
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 pm

groundhog wrote:
I still regard the comparison as meaningless 
I can’t disagree with that, might have been a bit better if he compared the timescale of the deaths, the war lasting 6 years whereas COVID has only been around for 11 months.

But I find it better if I can relate to the comparison, I live on an avenue with about 300 houses, so today’s reported deaths of about 1600 which would be twice the number of residents of our avenue. 
Or the excess deaths since last March is nearing 120.000 which equates to nearly half the population of this city.

Anyway the bad news is that the snow seems to have finished and we haven’t seen any!rolleyes

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 pm

Just given up watching the news now hopefully as new cases fall the death rate will drop accordingly.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

The BBC ..or is it just me? - Page 3 Empty Re the BBC -it's just you

Post by Brian Shaw Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm

Regarding the comments below on the British Broadcasting for the Conservatives news broadcasts.

The thing that really annoys me are the evening 'briefings', where ministers and experts come on air, offer excuses for inaction and poor decision making and then fail to answer direct questions. The thing that worries me, is that these propaganda sessions aired by the BBC are to continue into the future after this pandemic with a media front face.

There is an alternative. Turn over.
Brian Shaw
Brian Shaw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman gl
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:24 pm

I don’t think you can blame the BBC for any shortcomings of the Govt or it’s advisors.

The BBC is the publicly funded national broadcaster so is the natural home for broadcasting information to the nation.

You've found the answer though allthumbz
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Wheeler dealers is a on at  6pm on another channel 😂

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 pm

The Americans have had presidential briefings for a long time. There is a case for a government to present information to the public on the current issue of the day at any time.

How many bother to watch BBC Parliament otherwise.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:07 pm

I'm one of those sad ones who occasionally watches BBC Parliament - because it's the cornerstone of our democratic society.

The trouble with visual briefings (as opposed to feeding info to the press and media lobby) is that it personalises things: take a dislike / like (however irrational) to the spokesperson and you'll take a similar attitude to the info.  

I do not want a Presidential constitution but we seem doomed to that.....

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 pm

It's not the job of the BBC to question the government, that's the role of Her Majesty's Opposition, their job is to report the news. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:38 pm

I'm not sure many journalists would agree with that, good investigative journalism is an essential part of holding government to account.

You only have to look at the regimes that do their best to control the press to see how much it is needed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:53 pm

It is surely the job of investigative journalists to investigate the facts and report them. What is not there job is to then spin those facts in to a story for the sake of sensationalism to maximise viewing numbers or circulation figures. 
I have lived and worked in Countries where the press work WITH the Government and that is a whole different ball park to being CONTROLLED by the Government. The UK is Internationally known as being a hotbed for press intrusion, I want the likes of Piers Morgan or Andrew Marr to ask the difficult questions of course, report them but then let me interpret them. I also see nothing wrong in interviewees saying "no" to answering a question or simply saying "I do not have an answer to that" without attempts at bullying follow ups.

I was interviewed by the BBC on the launch of a new airline and the opening question from the reporter was "What makes you think this airline will last and will not go bust", what sort of question is that!  My reply was "May I suggest you ask me some sensible questions if you wish to continue this interview or I will leave now", They edited the interview from some twenty minutes to about five ( no problem with that) but leaving out much of the relevant fact and including his trivia, the Guy wasn't reporting he was creating a story.

You may have guessed I am not keen on the British press... any of them hugegrins
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Spinning dubious storylines is not quite the same as questioning the government plans and performance.

I don't disagree with your point about press standards but to trust the calibre of the current opposition to question the government effectively is insufficient. If nothing else Boris is too strong in parliament.

The scenario you experienced with the BBC has been repeated many a time and by every media, I've had it myself. If your submission does not fit their editorial bias then the media will bend it the way they want.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:42 am

HairyFool wrote:I'm not sure many journalists would agree with that, good investigative journalism is an essential part of holding government to account.

You only have to look at the regimes that do their best to control the press to see how much it is needed.
Imo political invstigative journalists are biased to a point of having massive influence on their employers output. I still maintain the opposition should be left to question the government.   This is why I hope the BBC model is brought to account. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:38 am

What a terrible broadcaster the BBC is! There is another story though.
Things the BBC does that others don’t:
It doesn’t have ads in the middle of programmes
It has to reveal it’s wage structure by law - pay equality and OTT contracts are worse in other mainstream media.
It has lots of TV stations covering a wide range of interests
It has many radio stations  broadcasting to a wider range of interests than any other radio outlets. Who else does comedy and intelligent stuff?
It innovates new shows and formats and encourages new talent - then pinched by other stations.
It has most of the best loved, watched and listened to programmes.
It runs several orchestras, performance venues and showcases new musical talent.
It has a department encouraging new drama and comedy writers.
It has a massive internet presence in education and information - it even has a Have Your Say news site for Grumpies and Brexiteers to moan about the BBC. ITV and Sky don’t.
It has programmes dedicated to moral discussion, no other radio station does.
It doesn’t exist to make a profit.

On the other hand it has as many reports of it’s right wing bias as it’s left wing. Every complaint made about it’s poor news coverage and rubbish programmes can be levelled at every other newspaper and media outlet.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Roopert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:57 pm

I'd argue your first point re not advertising.

One of the most annoying things for me is the incessant advertising for the BEEB's own programmes.
They seem to appear within and between most programmes and are getting just as bad, if not worse, than the commercials.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : None

Cymro and Peter Brown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:04 pm

I will agree 100% with nuevoboy. Put the stop watch on the bbc ads between programs. Yes they are ads
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:25 pm

BBC produces, commission's or buys programmes that are timed for commercial Chanels. What looks like a half hour programme will be 23 minutes and an hour programme 46 minutes to allow schedulers in commercial and digital channels to work in half hour blocks including adverts 

Result is BBC has timing issue it fills with its own inane in house adverts

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 pm

I agree essentially agree both with Peterm and nuevoboy. The BBC has lost its way particularly in objective reporting, and yes the endless ads for programmes drive me mad, and yet many programmes pop up completely unheralded...usually the most interesting ones. However it is clear that the BBC is subject to so many pressures (dare I say PC pressures) that seemingly do not seem to apply to other broadcasters.

The BBC is far from perfect but I have travelled a fair bit in my working life and have seen other broadcasters in many countries. Some simply insult the intelligence in their populist banality. I am thinking particularly of US and Japan. Often when away I would tune into the BBC World News or World Service for more objective reporting.

So beware what you wish for....what’s  the expression about baby and bath water?

Oh and I forgot to mention I no longer watch the BBC News at 10.00. A relentless diet of gloom and foreboding, each item trying to be more heart wrenching  than the previous one.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:13 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:BBC produces, commission's or buys programmes that are timed for commercial Chanels. What looks like a half hour programme will be 23 minutes and an hour programme 46 minutes to allow schedulers in commercial and digital channels to work in half hour blocks including adverts 

Result is BBC has timing issue it fills with its own inane in house adverts

Inane indeed! 
I'd rather watch one of the old "Intermission" films - the potters wheel or speeded up London to Brighton train ride  hugegrins

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Bobskate and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: