The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazon deliveries!

+9
groundhog
Tinwheeler
rgermain
Peter Brown
Weegie
Paramedic
Paulmold
Quilter
Gromit
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amazon deliveries! Empty Amazon deliveries!

Post by Gromit Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:26 pm

The boss wanted a new roasting tin, which (needless to say) absolutely has to conform to several vital criteria!  broomstick

Size and depth mostly, but it must be good quality rather than some of the rubbish offered widely on Amazon and elsewhere. (Can't argue with that!)

Couldn't buy locally thanks to the lockdown, and didn't fancy trailing round the shops (even if they were open) searching for the right one . . . so we ordered one from Amazon.

26 quid, so not rubbish but still moderately priced, and with free delivery.

Just had an email to say it has been dispatched, and has arrived at Piacenza!   uncertain   rolleyes

The mind boggles, eh!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Amazon deliveries! Empty Re: Amazon deliveries!

Post by Quilter Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Hemel and Swindon we’re used to but Piacenza is a bit far off !

We reckon that much of the stuff we’ve bought over the last few months has a much more active social life than we do these days. The excitement of watching it getting ever closer on the street map and then the ring of the door bell when the little blue circle lands on our house....how did we do without it ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Ordered some Lego sets for grandkids from Amazon (prefer to not buy from Amazon but none of the other online shops had them in stock) last Monday, expected delivery Sunday. Following their delivery schedule, they were sent from France and arrived at Milton Keynes on Thursday, Chester on Friday and delivered to us on Saturday. Much as I hate to admit it, I can't fault Amazon.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:12 pm

It was last Saturday when our daughter and son-in-law made a brief visit (social distancing) at the front door, where my wife enquired about where to get more vitamin D tablets. Previously, they had bought them for us out of concern for our welfare over Covid. Stuart immediately produced his mobile to order same via Amazon expected to arrive by Monday. Doorbell sounded on Sunday to be handed the tablets in less than 24 hours. We believe as regular customers of Amazon, they receive priority free delivery service?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Paramedic wrote:We believe as regular customers of Amazon, they receive priority free delivery service?

Yiu can pay a fee to become an Amazon 'Prime' customer. That gives you free next day delivery - unless, of course, you order something from China!
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Paramedic wrote:It was last Saturday when our daughter and son-in-law made a brief visit (social distancing) at the front door, where my wife enquired about where to get more vitamin D tablets. Previously, they had bought them for us out of concern for our welfare over Covid. Stuart immediately produced his mobile to order same via Amazon expected to arrive by Monday. Doorbell sounded on Sunday to be handed the tablets in less than 24 hours. We believe as regular customers of Amazon, they receive priority free delivery service?
If you pay for Amazon Prime you get next day free delivery as well as other perks such as Amazon TV. I think it's £7.99 a month. I don't buy enough or want the TV elements to warrant paying that. I never pay for delivery anyway as I'm not that desperate to get stuff the next day, I always opt for free delivery and normally it arrives in 3 days (unless it has to be sent from France as above).

Donator
Donator

Male

bikeralw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:09 pm

I remember the time when I used to go from shop to shop looking for a particular small low cost item of hardware, cleaning material, tool, watch battery, etc. Taking up a lot of time and travelling often unsuccessful in sourcing the item.

With Amazon prime I don't even think about it, with free delivery whatever the size or cost, using the service is a no brainer. The speed of deliver is a bonus but not essential. Some companies who sell through Amazon arrange their own deliveries via Royal Mail or other carriers and that can take a couple of days to arrive - like the 360 kg of Cotswold stone we had via Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

I ordered a battery charger and battery tester from Banggood in China, they arrived in 9 days in separate deliveries. The battery tester cost £8 and did the final leg in the Royal Mail 48hr service - that must have cost them at least £5!
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am

I'm sure you will all be eager to learn that the gaffer's roasting tray continues merrily on its free journey toward Chez Gromit!  rolleyes

It has left Piacenza and is enjoying a short diversion at Lonate Pozzolo. (I had to look that up on Google Maps, and find that it's on the outskirts of Milan.)

It's due here tomorrow, so please try to contain your excitement, and I promise to update you as soon as there's more thrilling news to report.  Whistle1

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 am

Whenever I use Amazon, I see to get a follow up call, I don't answer ones not known to me, so they leave a message not with an English accent.

Usually telling me my Prime sub is due, funny never had one!
This time I got one after my latest purchase asking me if I had bought something a couple of days ago. Maybe just security check which if it was was good.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 am

I've never had that Richard, and it sounds very suspicious to me.

It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has had phone calls, but it sounds very dodgy to me. I can't see any legitimate reason for Amazon (or any similar organisation) to do that.

All my notifications arrive via the standard emails, which could be "got at" I suppose, so vigilance is always required.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Gromit wrote:I've never had that Richard, and it sounds very suspicious to me.

It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has had phone calls, but it sounds very dodgy to me. I can't see any legitimate reason for Amazon (or any similar organisation) to do that.

All my notifications arrive via the standard emails, which could be "got at" I suppose, so vigilance is always required.
Thanks, that's why I don't answer and leave it to the answer machine. Better safe than sorry, I shouldn't say this but the Indian voice get's me alerted!

So someone must be able to see you have ordered from Amazon, so much for security. 

Also had what appears to be a local number and also shown as International call on the display.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:48 pm

Richard; we have used Amazon Prime on a regular basis for much of this year and have never had any phone call follow ups. Have you phoned Amazon complaints and told them of this ? From years of experience of them I have always found they take complaints very seriously and always work hard to resolve them. If you have the phone numbers of the offending callers I'm sure they will be interested.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:03 pm

I had a call purporting to be from Amazon telling me my order of a £350 item had been charged to my card and to press 1 etc.....

I think I might have spotted a weak link in Amazon's security as they often put my phone number on the address label for the delivery driver. Therefore, anyone seeing it knows my name, address, phone number, the facts that I use Amazon and must have a payment card of some sort.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:03 pm

Same here, we use Amazon a lot and have never experienced this problem. We do have prime and find it fantastic for £7.99 a month with mostly next day delivery and of course free films etc, ideal for use in the van when away where you have wifi. Only once have we had an item not turn up and Amazon refunded the cost immediately, what is not to like.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:08 pm

I'm getting at least two automated calls a day about my Amazon prime account, and no, we don't have one. We get about the same number of automated calls each day concerning our BT broadband, and no, we don't use them either. The number they call from is never the same so we can't block them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:08 pm

0800 279 7234 is Amazon number.

I've used Prime from several years and never had a call from them and they've been very responsive to the one or two I've made to them.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:12 pm

I pay for Prime in a one-off annual payment of £79 and, as well as free delivery, I’ve found Prime Video very handy in recent months when our main TV channels have been starved of new programs.

I get free Kindle books too.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:28 pm

The Amazon Scams were covered a couple of months ago.....

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t33459-amazon-prime-scam-call#286259

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Paulmold wrote:

If you pay for Amazon Prime you get next day free delivery

Not just next delivery, but same day if you live in certain postcodes.

I ordered some RAM for the laptop yesterday around 9.30am and it was with me by 4pm.

Pretty impressive service when you think I couldn't even go out and buy it in that timeframe due to work, and not for the price either.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 pm

We also use Amazon Prime loads. 

Although we have excellent local shops - butchers, bakers, greengrocers, mini-mart and of course farm shops when we're feeling flush, the nearest DIY/hardware stores are some distance away, so Amazon comes into its own especially for anything in that line. We also have my octogenarian parents-in-law listed as a delivery address so are able to have masks, vitamin D and the odd treat sent to them directly.

Any issues with non-deliveries, cancelled orders or returned goods have always been dealt with promptly and efficiently either on the phone (you can request them to call you rather than queuing) or online chat. I wish our banks were anywhere near as efficient and easy to contact!

We also view Prime videos, TV etc via two Fire sticks on our TVs and our laptops, plus we have two Amazon Fire tablets and a good old B&W Kindle so we easily get our monies worth for the annual subs.

We used to get random recorded calls, supposedly about Amazon annual payments, press 1 etc, however these were nothing to do with Amazon or anyone seeing parcel labels as this was on the landline whereas Amazon only have our main mobile number.

When we updated our EE home broadband contracts recently, we chose to no longer have the landline numbers since we seldom used them, so now are blissfully free of all the cold callers about boilers, double glazing, conservatories and 'Amazon'.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Quilter wrote:Richard; we have used Amazon Prime on a regular basis for much of this year and have never had any phone call follow ups. Have you phoned Amazon complaints and told them of this ? From years of experience of them I have always found they take complaints very seriously and always work hard to resolve them. If you have the phone numbers of the offending callers I'm sure they will be interested.
Thanks, tried reporting, but the calls just keep coming. Bit like the TPS waste of time as the calls also keep coming.
-------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Peter Brown wrote:0800 279 7234 is Amazon number.

I've used Prime from several years and never had a call from them and they've been very responsive to the one or two I've made to them.
It must just be me, I only use them a couple of times a year and each time I get follow up calls.
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Askit wrote:I'm getting at least two automated calls a day about my Amazon prime account, and no, we don't have one. We get about the same number of automated calls each day concerning our BT broadband, and no, we don't use them either. The number they call from is never the same so we can't block them.
Ahrr, glad I am not alone.
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:32 pm

rogerblack wrote:When we updated our EE home broadband contracts recently, we chose to no longer have the landline numbers since we seldom used them, so now are blissfully free of all the cold callers about boilers, double glazing, conservatories and 'Amazon'.
Don't relax entirely Roger. The "You have had an accident that wasn't your fault" cretins have got hold of Sian's mobile number, which is a surprise as she rarely gives it out to anyone but trusted friends.  confused3

As for Amazon, I agree entirely, and with Peter's comment earlier. These days if you want anything out of the very ordinary you could find yourself trailing round all the shops you can find in several local towns, and still go home empty handed.

A few taps on the keyboard and Amazon will deliver it within hours.

I also agree with several others in that I strongly dislike what Amazon stands for, and what it has done to some local shops. However, we are in a fast changing world, and throwing my teddy out of the pram won't make a blind bit of difference. Or to be more honest (and admittedly somewhat self centred) I'm not going to boycott them on principle, and make life difficult or impossible for myself when I want to buy a particular item.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:43 pm

I did get a couple of calls from one of those accident lines on my mobile a few weeks back, as it happens. First time I answered no to to her questions about had I had an accident then when she kept on going with her script irregardless, I asked her which part of 'no' she was struggling to understand.  

On the second call, I confirmed that I had indeed recently had an accident and that it was fatal, what could they do to help me?   Not heard from them since!

Oh, and your sentiments on Amazon reflect mine exactly!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next