The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thule step modification

+5
gef
Roopert
Gromit
PLOUGHLIN
Milvus
9 posters

Go down

Thule step modification  Empty Thule step modification

Post by Milvus Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 pm

As a fully paid up member of the dodgy knees club, I’m having a bit of a problem with our habitation access step, which is a Thule single step fitted to our Bourton. To step from the ground floor outside onto the extended Thule step is approx 18cm. The next step up into the van though, and onto the lower van step is approx 29cm. Then up onto the motorhome floor is again approx 20cm. So the first and third steps on entry and exit, pose no major problem. But that 29cm step is causing a fair bit of difficulty. The obvious get around is not to use the Thule step, and carry steps which better fit our needs. But, if at all possible, I’m trying to avoid that option, as we stop and move often rarely staying put for extended periods. 

So, the question is has anyone found some form of modification to the Thule step, or have any suggestions that decreases that 29cm step. ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Thule step modification  Empty Re: Thule step modification

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Would a double step fit? only £333.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Milvus Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:48 pm

I thought that too, but don’t think the double step would work. There’s not enough clearance to the ground for it to open, without the bottom step hitting the ground. Even if it did fit, looking at the drawings, that gap of 180mm, from the top of the step to the top of the carriage frame is the same on the both single and double steps. So the double step would also end up with a 29cm step up.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:04 pm

I'd employ a bit of lateral thinking.  scratch head

I don't think it would be too difficult to make small horizontal hand rails just inside the hab door entrance. It could be made such that each side had a frame resting on the floor so it needed minimal fixing (and therefore screwholes etc.) to the fabric of the van.

The best height for the hand rail would come from trial and error, but it would work for my ancient knees. Just a bit of help from the arms would take the strain off the knees, and may well solve the problem with minimal expense, effort or modification to the van!

When you come to sell the van it should be possible to conceal any small screw holes with those sticky discs that A/S supply, so it would not detract from the value at all.
Just a thought. (And something I may have to do myself before long!!  rolleyes)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:32 pm

what about one of these....a single slid out that would make the first step a little higher but the second a little lower?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Another possibility could be to make up a simple block (with perimeter edging to stop it sliding off) that can be dropped in place to add, say 4cm to the height of the lowest step. This would give you gaps of 22, 25 and 20, which may be more manageable?

Of course you would need some mechanism to stop the step from being retracted with the block in place, but that could simply be an extra switch somewhere?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Folding steps are a reasonable price sturdy and work well. We have used them for ages
Gef
gef

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:36 pm

gef wrote:Folding steps are a reasonable price sturdy and work well. We have used them for ages
Gef
He's trying to avoid that option Gef, but it would be interesting to know which ones you recommend as I (and no doubt others) might need them soon!

Some models are useless on soft ground as the legs sink in, but if you've found some good ones . . . .  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Milvus Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Roopert wrote:Another possibility could be to make up a simple block (with perimeter edging to stop it sliding off) that can be dropped in place to add, say 4cm to the height of the lowest step. This would give you gaps of 22, 25 and 20, which may be more manageable?

Of course you would need some mechanism to stop the step from being retracted with the block in place, but that could simply be an extra switch somewhere?

Thanks all for the replies, but I think I’m going to try something along the lines here suggested by Roopert. There’s a Fiamma clean step product available.  I hope to be able to adapt this  to secure a block on top of the step, at a width of approx 4 to 5 cm. ( Where the red line is marked on the cross section). Which will even out the steps as above. I’m going to have to experiment a bit first though, to see how thick a block the step can carry. Problem being that on retraction, the gap above the step is closed. I’ll use some simple cardboard pieces initially, to see how much thickness I can get away with. Hopefully, if it all comes together, it’ll level off the steps, and go some way to solving the problem.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Best money we ever spent! Useful around the house too when you don't want that little wobbly step ladder.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:34 am

Hi Gromit my steps are from Kampa you need to get the height right but for a nuevo they are perfect.  good broad steps with a rubber covering and they might sink a little in extreme wet but never caused a problem.  they fold up easily and slide in the side hatch with ease.
gef

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparks Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi Milvus.
I had the same problem so I fixed a piece of timber approx 25mm thick with an aluminium plate on the top, making approx 27 mm O/A, this still leaves the step approx 260 mm but is an improvement and the step can still be retracted. Hope this helps

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Sparks
Sparks

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Milvus Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:19 pm

That’s exactly the sort of modification I had in mind. Much appreciated, particularly the measurements that the step can accommodate. Thank you. allthumbz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparks Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:32 pm

If you do this mod, due to the design of the step the timber must not be the full width of the step, mine is 490mm fixed centrally from underneath. Good luck.
Sparks
Sparks

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:33 pm

I would not like to rely on the Fiamma Cleanstep fixings to hold a block in place.  You should be able to put some self tapping screws into the metal step itself for security and then cover with the Fiamma. The springs on my Fiamma are pulling the eyelets out of the fabric.  It has done 8 seasons though.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Milvus Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:12 pm

I was about to set about this task, but glad I waited a while, now that some more info has come in. Thanks both for your thoughts.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:46 pm

I bought a 2 step  plastic step   . it makes  entry and exit much  better ,   not found it a problem  to store  ,saves ware an electric step . about £20 .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down